Onitoni Large

BlackWhiteGold

Thought this kid deserves his own thread. Hopefully he is our next top priority pathways player to secure on an NRL contract in 2024.

Under the new NRL salary cap rules, clubs can promote players aged 17 to top 30 squads but can't play until age 18. So that means effectively we can promote Large to top 30 in 2024.

He is managed by Apex Sports Agency, who also manage Justin Olam.

2023 CIS Highlights:

2023 Rugby Union Highlights:

Something Richo mentioned about his time at Souths and one of his most recent examples is the kid Tallis Duncan is that he will never let a kid in his system that is a long term player debut in first grade before having him commit to a long term contract. He wants them wrapped up prior to the day that they showcase their talent on the big stage.
That said, if Large is as valuable as everyone makes him out to be I’m sure he will be looked at as a priority well before he comes off contract.

Something Richo mentioned about his time at Souths and one of his most recent examples is the kid Tallis Duncan is that he will never let a kid in his system that is a long term player debut in first grade before having him commit to a long term contract. He wants them wrapped up prior to the day that they showcase their talent on the big stage.
That said, if Large is as valuable as everyone makes him out to be I’m sure he will be looked at as a priority well before he comes off contract.
About time someone said the obvious, and the club kept to it.

About time someone said the obvious, and the club kept to it.
I don’t think it is a statement as such as holding a carrot above their heads saying you won’t play with us unless you commit. More so, if there is a player in their system close to being ready to debut. That is when they will get the deal done. Not after.

Is he old enough for us to talk about?
Yeah why not? Tallyn and Kit were playing Harold Matts in 2022 and made their NRL debuts a year later in 2023...

He obviously won't be in the equation in 2024, but if Tallyn and Kit could make NRL debuts at 18 in the forwards, there is no reason to think Large can't do the same in 2025 in the backs.

I remember when we signed Jock Madden from the Knights and Zac Cini and Tommy Talau from the Bulldogs. They were all youngsters. I was so excited, we had the 2 Australian Schoolboys halves in Madden and Talau. Surely at least one of them would come good.

I could tell within ten minutes of seeing all of them play first grade that they weren’t up to it. None of them had the right physical attributes.

I am sure Large will not be like them but it’s a good reminder to keep some perspective about our juniors.

I remember when we signed Jock Madden from the Knights and Zac Cini and Tommy Talau from the Bulldogs. They were all youngsters. I was so excited, we had the 2 Australian Schoolboys halves in Madden and Talau. Surely at least one of them would come good.

I could tell within ten minutes of seeing all of them play first grade that they weren’t up to it. None of them had the right physical attributes.

I am sure Large will not be like them but it’s a good reminder to keep some perspective about our juniors.

None of those boys you mentioned were
even close to Large. I can name you 100
Australian schoolboys who never made it,
or fell off the wayside for whatever reason.

Like every other club we tend to overate our juniors.Some of our juniors will make it but sadly most won't and it is very hard to pick them at an early age.
Hoping ours buck the norm and we have a high percentage of successes

Anyone know if the plan is for Onitoni Karge to play Harold Matthew’s again in 2024, or will he be stepped up to play Jersey Flegg which would be 2 years above his age eligibility?
What are the chance of a few games where all our NRL co reacted players play SG Ball together to see what they can do back in their own age group with players such as Large and Makasini alongside them.

Anyone know if the plan is for Onitoni Karge to play Harold Matthew’s again in 2024, or will he be stepped up to play Jersey Flegg which would be 2 years above his age eligibility?
What are the chance of a few games where all our NRL co reacted players play SG Ball together to see what they can do back in their own age group with players such as Large and Makasini alongside them.
Harold Matts is u/17
Jersey Flegg is u/21

He will likely start the season in Matts and may find himself in Flegg at some point. Harold Matts and SG Ball both finish early into the NRL Season whereas Flegg coincides with the NRL season. It also depends what his commitments are with School Rugby and the Waratahs.

Harold Matts is u/17
Jersey Flegg is u/21

He will likely start the season in Matts and may find himself in Flegg at some point. Harold Matts and SG Ball both finish early into the NRL Season whereas Flegg coincides with the NRL season. It also depends what his commitments are with School Rugby and the Waratahs.
Sorry I wrote Jersey Flegg when I meant would they be thinking of stepping Onitoni Large and potentially Makasini straight up to SG Ball even though they both still qualify for Harold Matthew’s in 2024 ?
A game or two with Da Silva, Galvin, Miller, Mason, both Laulilli brothers, joined by Large and Makasini along with the best of our other u/19’s players would be interesting.
Also is Luke Keppie still with us ? I just watched the replay of the 2022 Harold Matthews GF, he was very good.

Mate, you could definitely draw parallels
there but Large has a much higher footy
IQ. More Stephen Larkham than corn on
the Cobbo haha. He's a lot more calculated
and less impulsive imo. Such a great talent
I'm really struggling to find a good match, he's not quite as big as hayne and he's got better ball playing ability but he moves the same way.
He really is a talent, if he applies himself I have no doubt he'll be a star, bet my left nut on it

Back