Onitoni Large

Was chatting with a mate who is very involved in grass roots Rugby. I mentioned Onitoni to him and he said there was some pretty huge hype about him in Rugby circles too. Was very disappointed to hear he is contracted at the Tigers but believes he'll stay in Rugby.
He is wishful thinking… if he’s born here he will play league

Was chatting with a mate who is very involved in grass roots Rugby. I mentioned Onitoni to him and he said there was some pretty huge hype about him in Rugby circles too. Was very disappointed to hear he is contracted at the Tigers but believes he'll stay in Rugby.
The Rugby types make me laugh.

It is not uncommon for elite juniors to play both codes. But when a junior signs a deal with an NRL club. the Rugby boys carry on as if the player has been "poached" by the NRL, ignoring the fact that the young man has played rugby league all his life. Or, in the case of your mate, his is simply unaware of Large's connection with rugby league.

It is not uncommon for elite juniors to play both codes. But when a junior signs a deal with an NRL club. the Rugby boys carry on as if the player has been "poached" by the NRL, ignoring the fact that the young man has played rugby league all his life. Or, in the case of your mate, his is simply unaware of Large's connection with rugby league.
100% precisely x10 plus one

They play rugby because they can get scholarships to elite schools. Especially backs.

Agreed. They are continually stunned when young players repeatedly choose league over union. The mentality of many Rugby Toffs is well we gave them a scholarship to an elite school so they should be thankful

Reactions: BZN
Agreed. They are continually stunned⁸ when young players repeatedly choose league over union. The mentality of many Rugby Toffs is well we gave them a scholarship to an elite school so they should be thankful

Will be interesting.
Rwc will be in aussie in 4 years time playing in stadiums of 80000 will be a draw. Or LO and CS with 10000. Lions tour in 2 years for aussie. Lote and Wendel and Rodgers crossed codes for that and a shite load of money. Last time that happened.
If he is as good as everyone says he has big options.

Will be interesting.
Rwc will be in aussie in 4 years time playing in stadiums of 80000 will be a draw. Or LO and CS with 10000. Lions tour in 2 years for aussie. Lote and Wendel and Rodgers crossed codes for that and a shite load of money. Last time that happened.
Yeah the biggest draw is a home world cup. NRL cannot compete with the scale of those tournaments. Would be too soon for him you would think though.

kids nuts haven’t dropped yet and people are talking about him being the next immortal
He hasn’t set aside girls piss and pot yet
Not saying he ain’t gonna make it but don’t get your hopes up
Know a kid from a while ago country footy. Played first grade at 17 and set the field alight.was the best on ground every game he played
Went down to Newcastle and never got past flegg

kids nuts haven’t dropped yet and people are talking about him being the next immortal
Know a kid from a while ago country footy. Played first grade at 17 and set the field alight.was the best on ground every game he played
You are right in saying many 16 year old kids go off track and not fulfil their potential.
But as good the kid you are referring to may have been, I’m sure he wasn’t staring down the barrel of a potential 500k plus contract at age 17/18.
A substantial contract and likely cross code war for your services will highly likely keep a young kid focused and on the right path.

Will be interesting.
80,000 for the rah rah? Are the Matilda’s playing after them?

I get what you're saying, and you're right in saying that even the most hyped kids don't make it.

However, 16 really isn't as far off NRL as we think it is, especially for a back who already has the physique. The kids that are the most highly rated in the junior years generally make their debuts at 18. Tallyn, Kit, Karl Oloapu, and Tyrone Munro all made their debuts this year at 18. Not to mention Sua'alii at 17 previously along with other players at 18 years old.

It may be too soon to talk about him but i think next year (2024), he will be one to watch in the lower grades as it will determine if he is going to be one of those 18 year olds that bursts onto the scene in 2025.

Best way to bring him through at centre, and Galvin too. Don’t break them early in their careers let them ease into the top grade!
You don’t think they should be eased in via the wing, to get used to the pace and physical contact first, then move them to centre, if they warrant it ?
I thought that’s what we were doing this year with Tupou ? Isn’t he really a centre ?

Will be interesting.

Back