Onitoni Large

You think people dont want results in 24/25 and would prefer to wait til 28/29?

Some of us wont be here
I’d love to see much improved results in 2024 or 2025, but honestly think it will be a big struggle to become a top 8 side based on our current roster with or without Jerome Luai.
It sounds like many disagree, but I cannot put Luai in the elite talent category, Very good player, not elite.
We are clearly not in a position to recruit players who are definitely in the elite talent category, so the only option is to hopefully produce our own.
It’s a fair chance we are getting real close to producing our own elite talent such as Large, so why risk not having the salary cap space to keep them by over paying someone who in my opinion will not have the hunger and not have what it takes to get us to the top ?

Last edited:
Also the possibility Large could become a better fullback than Bula with his speed and vision.
If that happens it might be Bula who has to change position.
He better learn to speak up over that time. When I watched Large he is talented but does not say a peep.
Very important attribute for fullback and I have no doubt Bula is a good talker!

He better learn to speak up over that time. When I watched Large he is talented but does not say a peep.
Very important attribute for fullback and I have no doubt Bula is a good talker!
Bula doesn't strike me as a big talker, not like AD , but it's hard to gauge from televised games etc. He's also pretty young in his career. Maybe we can get hodgson or slater in with Bula at some stage.

I’d love to see much improved results in 2024 or 2025, but honestly think it will be a big struggle to become a top 8 side based on our current roster with or without Jerome Luai.
It sounds like many disagree, but I cannot put Luai in the elite talent category, Very good player, not elite.
We are clearly not in a position to recruit players who are definitely in the elite talent category, so the only option is to hopefully produce our own.
It’s a fair chance we are getting real close to producing our own elite talent such as Large, so why risk not having the salary cap space to keep them by over paying someone who in my opinion will not have the hunger and not have what it takes to get us to the top ?
When is Larges birthday anybody know

Fullback may not be for him and I agree communication from the back is a big thing ala Billy Slater.
I purely suggest it may be an option down the track as he’s lightning fast and has the playmaking skills of a 5/8 which are strong characteristics of some of the games current elite players.
I hope Bula owns the one jersey and it becomes a position we don’t need to worry about, but is he quick enough to become one of the games elite ?

Last edited:
You are right in saying many 16 year old kids go off track and not fulfil their potential.
But as good the kid you are referring to may have been, I’m sure he wasn’t staring down the barrel of a potential 500k plus contract at age 17/18.
A substantial contract and likely cross code war for your services will highly likely keep a young kid focused and on the right path.

99% of 16yr olds wouldn’t be thinking about I better do this or that to nab a 500k deal. Besides the kid is no doubt getting some hefty treatment that pays his way now anyway to some extent.

Lets be real here. The kid is an awesome talent but years away from it being enjoyed in any top flight level. He could get injured, go off the tracks, prefer another sport or heck pickup another career instead. This happens over and over again for many viewed as top talents between 14-18.

The pressure some put on this kid is ridiculous & if we are banking on him coming good in 4-5yrs time week in week out wise we clearly haven’t learnt anything from the years before.

It’s great to look forward to these kids but we shouldn’t be building a roster around him just yet or even thinking whose position will he take.

99% of 16yr olds wouldn’t be thinking about I better do this or that to nab a 500k deal. Besides the kid is no doubt getting some hefty treatment that pays his way now anyway to some extent.

Lets be real here. The kid is an awesome talent but years away from it being enjoyed in any top flight level. He could get injured, go off the tracks, prefer another sport or heck pickup another career instead. This happens over and over again for many viewed as top talents between 14-18.

The pressure some put on this kid is ridiculous & if we are banking on him coming good in 4-5yrs time week in week out wise we clearly haven’t learnt anything from the years before.

It’s great to look forward to these kids but we shouldn’t be building a roster around him just yet or even thinking whose position will he take.

Mighty_Tiger he’s every bit as good as Suaalii at the same age.
Remember it was only a couple of years back the Roosters got an exemption for Suaalii to play NRL at age 17 and the rest is history.
If Wests Tigers or Rugby League in general don’t have him playing NRL at age 18, it’s near certain he’ll be wearing a Waratah’s jersey.
So not far away from the big time at all.
Wests Tigers recently made the mistake of not prioritising Max Jorgensen who went on to play for the Waratahs at age 18 and he is another superstar in the making whether he stays in rugby or returns to league.

Last edited:
You don’t think they should be eased in via the wing, to get used to the pace and physical contact first, then move them to centre, if they warrant it ?
I thought that’s what we were doing this year with Tupou ? Isn’t he really a centre ?
Look possibly, but wingers these days need to be grunt metre eaters. Bashing themselves in the meat of the defence. If u have the body size of Tupou that’s fine, but not even he is willing to do that grunt work. And if we had great centres then you’d have s as point but our centres are well below average.

Mighty_Tiger he’s every bit as good as Suaalii at the same age.
Remember it was only a couple of years back the Roosters got an exemption for Suaalii to play NRL at age 17 and the rest is history.
If Wests Tigers or Rugby League in general don’t have him playing NRL at age 18, it’s near certain he’ll be wearing a Waratah’s jersey.
So not far away from the big time at all.
Wests Tigers recently made the mistake of not prioritising Max Jorgensen who went on to play for the Waratahs at age 18 and he is another superstar in the making whether he stays in rugby or returns to league.

I get what you’re saying but the issue is 90%+ of top rated kids just never make it.

Remember Dean Caldwell the kid was viewed as the best halfback running around by a country mile, Roosters snapped him up even & injury crippled his chances of making the jump up.

We have roster spots for him and cash regardless. If he is good enough he will have a spot made for him. The same goes for Fainu, Galvin etc.

The NRL and Roosters did everything for Suaalii and he still ended up heading to Union. He struggled bigtime last year. The Roosters also have superstars/quality NRL players to take the pressure off him. The reality is if Union wants these kids they will splash cash that the NRL period can’t compete with & offer the world tour with less games on the body that League can’t offer.

At the Wests Tigers if we blood all these kids without quality experience around them then they will all flop. This is why signing of Luai is actually important.

More importantly what is he getting for his birthday?
A lightly used bbq...
Need to do both,,,nurture local talent and provide clear pathways for the future,knowing some wont make it,whilst simultaneously attracting the best talent we can afford to optimise our competitiveness short term
Gonna be a real challenge if we indeed sign Luaibecause our most elite juniors coming thru wish to play as halves(because thats where the biggest $$ are according to their agents)
Personally I think the Galvins.Largesand even .Douhis will grow too big to be halves long term and will have to find other positions,and we need to manage and support that transition sensitively

Best part so far this year juniors know coming through the pathway system is that they want to stay and play for the tigers. Large if he fully develops will be a very good first grade player has the skills and the determination.

In the case of Joesph Suaalii the kid never hide the fact he want to go to Union and his dad may sure people
knew this fact.

Will be interesting.
Rwc will be in aussie in 4 years time playing in stadiums of 80000 will be a draw. Or LO and CS with 10000. Lions tour in 2 years for aussie. Lote and Wendel and Rodgers crossed codes for that and a shite load of money. Last time that happened.
If he is as good as everyone says he has big options.
Large will be 18 for the Lions tour and 20 for the RWC. He probably won't even make it.

Second, the money usually comes if they start in League first and transfer to union. I can't think of an example where a Union player has come to league on big money even if they played for Australia.

Large will be 18 for the Lions tour and 20 for the RWC. He probably won't even make it.

Second, the money usually comes if they start in League first and transfer to union. I can't think of an example where a Union player has come to league on big money even if they played for Australia.
In 1995 Garrick Morgan went from Wallabies to Cowboys and lasted 2 games back then he signed for 600k

John Kirwan went from All Blacks to New Zealand Warriors 95 and 96 at the time had scored the most tries in international rugby

That is about it

In 1995 Garrick Morgan went from Wallabies to Cowboys and lasted 2 games back then he signed for 600k

John Kirwan went from All Blacks to New Zealand Warriors 95 and 96 at the time had scored the most tries in international rugby

That is about it
Well there you go

Also the possibility Large could become a better fullback than Bula with his speed and vision.
If that happens it might be Bula who has to change position.
This is definitely a possibility. He's faster, stronger and more skilful than Bula. However fullbacks first of all need to be reliable, and Bula has a knack of being in the right place and diffusing kicks, tackling runners to save tries. The communication side both nee to work on. If Large adds these attributes to his game then he could be a superstar at fullback, potentially the most complete player in the comp in due course but there's still a long way for him to go, and he needs to put in a lot of work if he truly wants to cash in on his ability.

We need to nurture him and his brother, make them really feel connected to the club and his team mates. That is our safest bet of retaining him. Like the Panthers and the previous Matts champion team. You play with and for your mates.

Last edited:

Brett Papworth would of been on decent money .....injuries screwed his career

You maybe right.
Tbh I have never seen him play so really don’t know. I was going off what I have read here that he’s a once in a generation player. So thought he might be like a Tim Horan, Dan Carter, Jason Little or Lomu type guy who debuts in his teens but maybe that is not realistic

That is about it
Rex Mossop - it's easy to forget the Legends! I blame black and white TV.

Back