Onitoni Large

You're talking about the same hype that benji had... Those two had it.. But couldn't convert.

I doubt anybody really gives a shit about the young blokes of today with the exception of Galvin who's copped a few.mentions.in the.media...much like Lazarus did

It's OK to be incorrect sometimes just say 'yeah, you're right'
But your wrong, those two didn't have anywhere near as much talent or reputation. Lazarus was a nobody, not even a local junior, he played ok for us in the lower grades and made 2 NRL matches, but never played any rep footy and very few people outside of this forum even knew he existed other than the surname.
Caldwell did have a bit of a reputation, that he would probably go on to play first grade, but he was never considered to be the next superstar of the competition. Injuries destroyed him, hopefully our next gen have better luck

Totally agreed but also look at what we have done.

Hired Junior talent consistently.
Often had 1 senior player among a group of Juniors. I.e.
J Tamou among a very young forward pack.
Corey Thompson among a very raw backline. (and I struggle to think of other experienced backs we have hired recently. Naden is probably the closest.).

I have to ask, why did Penrith make that development environment work? We literally hired Tamou across to mentor the forward pack and here it just floundered. If you argue Tamou did not live up to his performance, then why did it work at Penrith?

I think our attitude is totally wrong. We have thrown far too heavy expectations at:

Marshall as a Coach. The board should have a really good 1:1 relationship with him and that if he doesn't perform this time around, can go to Britain and coach there for a few years and come back.

Too many players are expected to "be the pack" or "be the half". Heck we threw NR1 at a Basketball player this year and Miraciously it worked!

Our players aren't solid and hence players can't learn the game while the people next to them are learning the game. Melbourne did great with Munster, as they had the team support him learning the game and insulated him a fair bit. We won't develop Galvin or Large unless we can get people who are developed for them to play with.

We need First graders not fringe graders or "Next Big things"
Why do you think we have signed experienced layers such as Korisau, Papali’i, Bateman, Klemmer, Olam, Sezer and for next season Luai ?
Benji along with the rest of the brains trust wanted plenty of experience to assist in our younger players coming through.
The above list that have been signed over the past 2 seasons is pretty decent don’t you think ?

Why do you think we have signed experienced layers such as Korisau, Papali’i, Bateman, Klemmer, Olam, Sezer and for next season Luai ?
Benji along with the rest of the brains trust wanted plenty of experience to assist in our younger players coming through.
The above list that have been signed over the past 2 seasons is pretty decent don’t you think ?
Honestly.
Our ability to sign talent is amazing. I have no idea why Api, Bateman or Luai came to a team coming 17th.

When you look at it. Yes in the front row we have Bateman/Klemmer who are incredibly experienced and should mentor up Pole/etc coming through.
Otherwise it's the same intent as last year.
Sezer -> Will Smith
Luai -> Moses/Johnston/Pearce/that half we never got to sign.

Olam is a great addition. Yet not our intention to sign. We have been missing an experienced back and I am hoping Olam can provide that.

I reckon he wants to get paid. That happens in the halves and FB. WT have tied up Luai long term and imagine the same will happen with Galvin (if we are lucky). Maybe he unseats Bula. I am guessing.

If true, it sucks we have lost him and I assume Ashton. I'd find this one hard to blame on the club...to the point of them even having a Harold Matts player join the NRL guys for some of the pre-season training. By all accounts we had him locked up "long term" too.

If gone, you would think it would have to be related to either going to Union or wanting to play 6 in the short term at a new club (in which he knows Luai is coming and also sees Galvin and Fainu clearly ahead of him).

Large & Galvin are the hottest prospects
in the country. Large just glides man, so
effortless with everything he does. He's
such a beauty. Great kid too, super focused
Looks like we made our choice....

I’ll put it in here as well.

his parents are sooking because Galvin’s development has scared them and they thought their son would have everything handed to him on a silver platter as opposed to working his ass off and earning his place in the side.

in addition the club rolled out the red carpet for him thru preseason and allowed him to be exposed to an elite environment at 16 and additionally paid for his surgery and rehab after his ankle injury.

self entitled parents, players and player managers should have no place at Wests Tigers, no matter how talented. this reeks of Suaalii at Souths.

I’ll put it in here as well.

his parents are sooking because Galvin’s development has scared them and they thought their son would have everything handed to him on a silver platter as opposed to working his ass off and earning his place in the side.

in addition the club rolled out the red carpet for him thru preseason and allowed him to be exposed to an elite environment at 16 and additionally paid for his surgery and rehab after his ankle injury.

self entitled parents, players and player managers should have no place at Wests Tigers, no matter how talented. this reeks of Suaalii at Souths.
so it is correct he has left though? A shame as he clearly has talent but if thats correct, well see ya later.

We won’t need a half, hooker or fullback for 10 years. That’s a big call but TDS, Galvin and young Bula are as good as I’ve seen come through since Teddy, Benji and Farah.
Luai can play until 35. If we lose young juniors under contract we need to pick up a trade of some description to offset.

Latest posts

Members online

Back