Onitoni Large

If he has left us, I imagine it is to Union unless the club gave him permission to leave to another club.

Contracts are different 4 kids...stipulations aren't
the same as professional contracts obviously but
I've always held the belief he'll always play union.

Just my own personal opinion, Glenji. League offers
contracts junior academy union players dont get,
I think he's just tuning up in league. Hope I'm wrong
as is that Twitter poster that started this shit lol

Yeah but did that include top 30 ?
I realise we can’t please everyone, but based on potential and attributes to be a star, both he and Mskasini should have had top 30 contracts for 2025 and beyond, well before now.
Our roster management and identifying which players are given top 30 contracts still appears to be very poor.
yes it included top 30. he was walking into the top 30 from the moment he finished school.

give Richardson a chance before you start with the judgement of talent stuff. Makasini should’ve been locked up earlier yes, but Tartak always knew what he had. it was inevitable he would go to market.

yes it included top 30. he was walking into the top 30 from the moment he finished school.

give Richardson a chance before you start with the judgement of talent stuff. Makasini should’ve been locked up earlier yes, but Tartak always knew what he had. it was inevitable he would go to market.
Have you heard whether it's confirmed he's leaving?

I caught up with Benji at the members open training session last week and he was very open in his conversation with us and said do not believe what you read in the papers. I said jokingly to him how good would we be going if he was a 24/7 coach and his reaction was priceless as he said WTF do they ( media ) want as he is trying to teach the young players in our team that are intense and feel that footy is everything that Family is what we do it for and that is what builds culture. He said he has no issues with dedicating time to his family for a few hours each day and is invested in his role as the coach. I asked him about Galvin and he said the kid loves the club and is in discussions to extend but it is not a rush as he wants him to deal with playing FG which is hard enough for an 18 year old kid. I walked away impressed with his passion and dedication to succeed and feel we are in good hands. He did say we are a work in progress and will lose some games but the team in heading in the right direction and from what I have seen in the first 6 rounds it seems to be the case barring round 2 and 6.

Last edited:
Our roster management and identifying which players are given top 30 contracts still appears to be very poor.

Are the people that made these decisions in the past still at the club? If they are then fire them… but I think they are gone already… the next ones are going to need to have a better track record if they are serious about being a “development club”.

Well Large is 16 years old currently will be 17 in August from what I found so I imagine he wouldn’t have had a top 30 contract for 25 given he wouldn’t have even been 18 by the time next season starts. If he was gonna be top 30 or development at least I imagine that would’ve been for 26. I’m just assuming since normally the NRL won’t allow a player to debut until their 18, you can’t offer that player a top 30 or development deal until they turn 18 or are turning 18 in the season. Plus you have to remember we’ve got 4 spots left to fill currently for our top 30 in 25 and the only development players so far for 25 are Lobb, Mason and Craig. I think there might be some players ahead for now just because they are older. Same applies to Makasini 16 years old probably wouldn’t get a top 30 or development until 2026 when he’s 18. That’s if he’s gonna stick around.
You can offer anyone you want an NRL contract, they just can't play until they're 18. So most clubs won't offer it as there's little return in value, ideally it would be development contract for the first year and NRL for the first full season post 18 but this kid is a bit different.

Still would find it very hard to believe that he's thrown his toys out of the cot because Galvin has debuted and is playing well. He's injured, and at school, so he's not even competing with Galvin just yet. Does he see Fainu, Galvin and Luai as too much competition than he'd like to muster?

Given he's under contract for several years still, the club has always treated him well and rate him highly it doesn't quite add up.

The poster on Twitter is a bit hit and miss, most of his connections are at Manly. He was a Fulton, Pascoe and Lee ally. Some of his news is way off, and just based on agent speak. Though he does know about and talk about juniors more than most.

Large is the fastest player at the club, can't just let him walk away, especially to another NRL club. No way. If he says he has his heart set on Union and has no desire to play league once he's 18 then there's not much we can do, but there's no way we should ever just release him to another NRL club. Galvin wanted out, but Benji and Richo were able to smooth things over and i'd be confident that they can iron out whatever concerns there are here.

The concern is most definitely the Roosters. Is it a coincidence that on the day Manu leaves this rumour comes out? Given Teddy is getting on, Manu leaving, Keary getting on and concussion issues, there's certainly openings in their spine moving forwards.

Personally i'd look to have Large at fullback as he enters the senior grades. He's the fastest player at the club, and we don't have many/any juniors with genuine pace. His strongest facet is his running game, Bula has been quite underwhelming in attack this season. If Large were to work out his positioning and defence he could most certainly challenge bula in the not too distant future. Think Bula to centre/wing is far more likely than squeezing out Luai, Fainu and Galvin in the halves.

We'd have one heck of a lineup with something like

1. Large
3. Bula
4. Makasini
6. Fainu
7. Luai
9. TDS
13 Galvin

I know we're a development club but seriously, 16 year olds getting 'promised' top 30 contracts?
He's the number one schoolboy prospect out of every league and union player in the country.

He's not just your run of the mill junior, every club in the country would be after him and we'd have to offer a fair bit to keep him with us, which includes top 30. You can have a few gambles in your top 30, just not too many, given the likes that have been given contracts previously taking a punt on a kid who could become an Olympic sprinter or the next generational player in the NRL is worth it. The skills of Benji in the body of a young Inglis, what's not to gamble on there?

Does he have the attitude and desire to make it? That's up to him

Last edited:
You can offer anyone you want an NRL contract, they just can't play until they're 18. So most clubs won't offer it as there's little return in value, ideally it would be development contract for the first year and NRL for the first full season post 18 but this kid is a bit different.

Still would find it very hard to believe that he's thrown his toys out of the cot because Galvin has debuted and is playing well. He's injured, and at school, so he's not even competing with Galvin just yet. Does he see Fainu, Galvin and Luai as too much competition than he'd like to muster?

Given he's under contract for several years still, the club has always treated him well and rate him highly it doesn't quite add up.

The poster on Twitter is a bit hit and miss, most of his connections are at Manly. He was a Fulton, Pascoe and Lee ally. Some of his news is way off, and just based on agent speak. Though he does know about and talk about juniors more than most.

Large is the fastest player at the club, can't just let him walk away, especially to another NRL club. No way. If he says he has his heart set on Union and has no desire to play league once he's 18 then there's not much we can do, but there's no way we should ever just release him to another NRL club. Galvin wanted out, but Benji and Richo were able to smooth things over and i'd be confident that they can iron out whatever concerns there are here.

The concern is most definitely the Roosters. Is it a coincidence that on the day Manu leaves this rumour comes out? Given Teddy is getting on, Manu leaving, Keary getting on and concussion issues, there's certainly openings in their spine moving forwards.

Personally i'd look to have Large at fullback as he enters the senior grades. He's the fastest player at the club, and we don't have many/any juniors with genuine pace. His strongest facet is his running game, Bula has been quite underwhelming in attack this season. If Large were to work out his positioning and defence he could most certainly challenge bula in the not too distant future. Think Bula to centre/wing is far more likely than squeezing out Luai, Fainu and Galvin in the halves.

1. Large
3. Bula
4. Makasini
6. Fainu
7. Luai
9. TDS
13 Galvin
Completely agree with this. Bula, Galvin could comfortable play those positions if they have the desire. The challenge is to convince the players (and their slimy agents) that playing NRL is more important for development than playing your preferred position.

Reactions: BZN
I swear the players that actually develop into first graders are the ones you don’t hear much about when they are 16 bula came out of know where Galvin was talked about but not as an exceptional 5/8
Fonua pole came out of know where Justin matamua was talked up for years
But hasn’t shown a great deal yet

Nrl is a different beast just getting through a pre season can be insanely difficult some people just arnt cut out for it

You can’t tell if some 1 is going to make till after a few nrl pre seasons

1. Large
3. Bula
4. Makasini
6. Fainu
7. Luai
9. TDS
13 Galvin
Great post @balmain boy

I find it very strange how Onitoni (or parents / agent) can have issues with the club given what has been provided to him thus far & likely on offer for him in the future.

I had the same thought re Roosters given who they are losing at season's end. It would be disgraceful if the family/agent are trying to get him out of a contract with us to re-join the Roosters system.

Re contracts under the new NRL salary cap agreement this year, 17yos can be promoted to top 30 just can't play NRL until 18yo. So Large could go top 30 this year whenever his birthday is!!!

From watching him in junior reps & his rugby highlights, I actually think he is much better suited as a fullback, centre, even wing than 5/8 with his ability & skills.

Great post @balmain boy

I find it very strange how Onitoni (or parents / agent) can have issues with the club given what has been provided to him thus far & likely on offer for him in the future.

I had the same thought re Roosters given who they are losing at season's end. It would be disgraceful if the family/agent are trying to get him out of a contract with us to re-join the Roosters system.

Re contracts under the new NRL salary cap agreement this year, 17yos can be promoted to top 30 just can't play NRL until 18yo. So Large could go top 30 this year whenever his birthday is!!!

From watching him in junior reps & his rugby highlights, I actually think he is much better suited as a fullback, centre, even wing than 5/8 with his ability & skills.
I don’t think he’s ever played there, but he’s got plenty of attributes to indicate he could become a very good fullback.

I understand nearly all the contracts were in place before Richo become involved, so he’s now got the tough task of working out which contracts are good and which ones are not moving forward.
If we are fair dinkum about junior development Onitoni Large is a must keep.
Surely he can be persuaded to stay by making him aware he can challenge for an NRL fullback or centre spot as well as 5/8 within the next 2 seasons if his form warrants it, therefore the current cluster of halves won’t block his path.

I don’t think he’s ever played there, but he’s got plenty of attributes to indicate he could become a very good fullback.
I don't think he's played there but he plays as centre in union and 5/8 in league. He barely runs the ball though at 5/8 so i'm not sure that's his best position. He tries to play halfback which is actually quite annoying. But if he were to play fullback he'd need to work on his voice, work under the high ball, organising defence etc but it would free him to have a crack at broken play on kick returns.

Reactions: 851

Latest posts

Back