Patience....

The Chad

I've seen the frustration levels rising with every week & every loss. I'm not here to say anybody is wrong, but looking at things in a slightly different way...

To me it currently feels like Sheens is sifting through his current Top 30 to see who stays on & who moves on. I don't think anyone at the club expects the team to win a premiership UNDER Sheens. I'd say the whole role for Sheens now is to get the best combination of players together in order for Benji to step into a squad ready to compete.

Nofoaluma has been dropped. Laurie is dropped. Mamaulo is moved on. Doueihi has been shifted to fullback. Some might see this as desperation, some might question why these moves were not made before the season started. My take- I don't think the coaching staff know EXACTLY who is to keep or not. They have recruited well, despite the results. And the players brought in will help in the development of players I think are already earmarked as long-term solutions: Utoikamanu, Pole, Matamua, Toupo, Kepoeoa & Simpkin.

I expect we see more of Pole, Matamua & Simpkin as the year goes on. Bula is already being talked about, and I'd say we see him before the year is out. Toupo & Kepoeoa are already locked in.

Where are we in terms of club development? I know everyone thinks of 2005. I'd say we are somewhere between 2003-2004, where Sheens removed a bunch of the longer term players & made room for the Marshall's, Farah's, Gibbs, Fulton, Halatau's while bringing in the likes of Hodgson, Prince etc to balance out what we already had.

He's now stated they want an 'experienced half' (I read either #7 or #6 when they say that). Moses was THE target. Pearce was a fallback option. The answer MIGHT be George Williams. Or Sezar. Or Luke Keary. But that doesn't mean they give up on Brooks immediately either. I strongly believe that Sheens/Marshall/Farah BELIEVE in club spirit & keeping 'the old boys' around. Brooks has always been a Tiger. Moses & Tedesco have already been targeted for a return. You build a club spirit through players coming through a club, and despite his struggles, Brooks IS a Tigers player. I think they value that. I don't believe you can question his dedication on the field. His results? Sure. But it's not a lack of effort. That's the difference between him & the other long-term Tiger, Nofoaluma, who you CAN question his efforts of late.

Doueihi's extension for a year & shift to fullback kind of looks perfect for the timeframe for Bula to become the starter. He may then move on, or even be looked at as a future centre or even an eventual shift back to 5/8. But for mine, he's now a place holder (and a good enough option TBH) at fullback until Bula is ready.

I think it will be interesting to see which players get extended playing time over the next few weeks. I'm pretty confident we will start seeing the younger players incorporated into the squad more & more.

I'm still not giving up on a solid 9th finish once the players get a handle on the newer style of play. The club isn't ONLY combatting the failures of youth in the squad, but the ghosts of 5-6 years of having focused on one style of play (that didn't work) and has seemingly eroded the confidence of players completely (here's looking at YOU Luke Brooks).

They look like a team that needs unshackling. They play frustrated, because they know what they want to do, but it's not clicking. The day it does- the Tigers will put a SCORE on someone. They move up & down the field well now. The forwards are laying that foundation. It's not a huge jump to go from there to adding additional pressure, to breaking teams resolve & then to taking advantage of that. Good sides get all of that together. We are not there yet. But, we NOW have the ability to move up & down the field.

I've seen the frustration levels rising with every week & every loss. I'm not here to say anybody is wrong, but looking at things in a slightly different way...

To me it currently feels like Sheens is sifting through his current Top 30 to see who stays on & who moves on. I don't think anyone at the club expects the team to win a premiership UNDER Sheens. I'd say the whole role for Sheens now is to get the best combination of players together in order for Benji to step into a squad ready to compete.

Nofoaluma has been dropped. Laurie is dropped. Mamaulo is moved on. Doueihi has been shifted to fullback. Some might see this as desperation, some might question why these moves were not made before the season started. My take- I don't think the coaching staff know EXACTLY who is to keep or not. They have recruited well, despite the results. And the players brought in will help in the development of players I think are already earmarked as long-term solutions: Utoikamanu, Pole, Matamua, Toupo, Kepoeoa & Simpkin.

I expect we see more of Pole, Matamua & Simpkin as the year goes on. Bula is already being talked about, and I'd say we see him before the year is out. Toupo & Kepoeoa are already locked in.

Where are we in terms of club development? I know everyone thinks of 2005. I'd say we are somewhere between 2003-2004, where Sheens removed a bunch of the longer term players & made room for the Marshall's, Farah's, Gibbs, Fulton, Halatau's while bringing in the likes of Hodgson, Prince etc to balance out what we already had.

He's now stated they want an 'experienced half' (I read either #7 or #6 when they say that). Moses was THE target. Pearce was a fallback option. The answer MIGHT be George Williams. Or Sezar. Or Luke Keary. But that doesn't mean they give up on Brooks immediately either. I strongly believe that Sheens/Marshall/Farah BELIEVE in club spirit & keeping 'the old boys' around. Brooks has always been a Tiger. Moses & Tedesco have already been targeted for a return. You build a club spirit through players coming through a club, and despite his struggles, Brooks IS a Tigers player. I think they value that. I don't believe you can question his dedication on the field. His results? Sure. But it's not a lack of effort. That's the difference between him & the other long-term Tiger, Nofoaluma, who you CAN question his efforts of late.

Doueihi's extension for a year & shift to fullback kind of looks perfect for the timeframe for Bula to become the starter. He may then move on, or even be looked at as a future centre or even an eventual shift back to 5/8. But for mine, he's now a place holder (and a good enough option TBH) at fullback until Bula is ready.

I think it will be interesting to see which players get extended playing time over the next few weeks. I'm pretty confident we will start seeing the younger players incorporated into the squad more & more.

I'm still not giving up on a solid 9th finish once the players get a handle on the newer style of play. The club isn't ONLY combatting the failures of youth in the squad, but the ghosts of 5-6 years of having focused on one style of play (that didn't work) and has seemingly eroded the confidence of players completely (here's looking at YOU Luke Brooks).

They look like a team that needs unshackling. They play frustrated, because they know what they want to do, but it's not clicking. The day it does- the Tigers will put a SCORE on someone. They move up & down the field well now. The forwards are laying that foundation. It's not a huge jump to go from there to adding additional pressure, to breaking teams resolve & then to taking advantage of that. Good sides get all of that together. We are not there yet. But, we NOW have the ability to move up & down the field.
you've made a lot of sensible comments. Yet if we retain Brooks after this year, maybe it's time to join the glass 1/2 empty crew.

Breaking the opposing team’s resolve? Aren’t you assuming that’s a transferable skill set? A lot of us feel like we’ve been worked over effectively, so yeh, I guess so?

I'm sorry, but you say a lot of fluffy, obvious and, occasionally, incorrect things. Of course we are all frustrated and, with good reason. Also, I think the Tiger forwards would be starting to feel frustrated. It's all the same old, same old every season. Lot's of preseason bluster then inevitable underperformance, questionable coaching, head scratching team selections and the miserable performance of our halves. Patience? I think we've all shown a massive amount of patience over a long, long time. Doueihi should not even be the fullback, either as the best player in the position or as an interim player for Bula. Both Staines and Laurie are better than him. Was Laurie dropped or did he lose his position due to injury? Apparently he trained in the halves in the off season so why isn't he being given a go at five eighth now? We all can see that Tigers go up and down the field and that they are clueless when they get into the opposition quarter. Do you really think Brooks and co will suddenly get better or that the coaches will miraculously unlock their rumoured potential? I have my doubts. I also have doubts whether many people on here have any remaining patience!

Last edited:

Yes well thought out
But with every loss the chance of decent players coming is reduced and the new recruits lose interest
The circle of failure continues

They play frustrated because they're playing to the 'game plan' but it is simply counter acted by the opposition.
We throw no deception at them... Our *All new whiz bang* style of attack has as much pizzaz as a cheese & lettuce sandwich
What I don’t understand is people’s belief that by including a little vegimite we suddenly have a gourmet meal?

If sheens had taken over last year instead of throwing noddy under the bus he would’ve realized hastings was a half, brooks and AD aren’t halves etc

He wasted 12 weeks last season and now we are playing catching up - during a new season

We have have wasted two seasons now

Only at the tigers though

If sheens had taken over last year instead of throwing noddy under the bus he would’ve realized hastings was a half, brooks and AD aren’t halves etc

He should have known anyway. Our halves have been a massive issue for years. Prior to the start of last season I remember stating that we needed to sort our halves out. We've gone backwards.

We've signed well but we have dud players in key positions. Our backline needs to be fixed.

“They have recruited well”

Did they really? No one has shown elite play, and whilst the best players of a poor bunch so far this season have keen the recruits Klemmer and Api, and Bateman has looked good in his two games…I always had concerns that they did nothing to improve the backline…

Our outside backs have been a major weakness in the team for years…. they leak a lot of tries from kicks and defensive lapses, and seem to offer very little in attacking play…

People point to the potential of Talau , Toa and Kepoa but this has not been anywhere close to being realised at NRL level in my view to date, and I have no real confidence in any of them..particularly Talau..

Of course we wont even mention ( again) the halves situation. Brooks and Douehi struggling and Hastings in Newcastle,,,

So no… they didn’t recruit well when nothing was done to improve the backline..

Benji has 12 probables for 2025 so far. These are all his choices.
Benji has some experience as a player, but it would take something of a miracle to become a winning coach after 2 years. I’m not saying he won’t know what he’s doing, but there’s a gap between completing tasks and responsibilities and nailing it, winning enough games to sneak into the playoffs.
He needs to consider his succession plan for when Sheens and Farah leave. If he hasn’t done this already we may find ourselves starting another 5y plan 3 years into this current one?

We are in the business of winning games and at the moment our business acumen is pretty poor. It takes time yes but for the Tigers, it takes longer. Our fellow business peers have jumped ahead of us in leaps and have all the market share!

They play frustrated because they're playing to the 'game plan' but it is simply counter acted by the opposition.
We throw no deception at them... Our *All new whiz bang* style of attack has as much pizzaz as a cheese & lettuce sandwich
Depends on what sort of lettuce it is.....are we talking iceberg or cos?

We are in the business of winning games and at the moment our business acumen is pretty poor. It takes time yes but for the Tigers, it takes longer. Our fellow business peers have jumped ahead of us in leaps and have all the market share!

Have they really though? It seems it's the same sides winning year in, year out. And the same teams fight for those spots between the bottom & 9th. While the results get shuffled around, it's only a year removed from teams like the 'improving Bulldogs' running last.

The gap to teams like the Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs etc only gets closed when teams have developed a crop of players good enough to compete. The Panthers went through years of ordinary before they got to where they are now. The Broncos have been a shadow of themselves before last years resurgence.

Have the Tigers lurched from disaster to disaster? Yes. Does that mean creating a progression plan for the youngsters to get into the squad has to be fast tracked? Or that the club needs to spend big on players outside the club to join? To a degree. I believe in the process. Not necessarily the TIGERS process, but the process that success comes to those that build it. If Pole, Matamua, Bula etc are maintained, nurtured & surrounded by the right types of players- I think the club gets it right. Throwing out the current squad because they struggle now is a quick-fix on a problem that has no quick solution to it.

Breaking the opposing team’s resolve? Aren’t you assuming that’s a transferable skill set? A lot of us feel like we’ve been worked over effectively, so yeh, I guess so?
It's easier to break a team's resolve when you are camped in the 20 instead of from halfway. Last year, halfway was about our finishing point on tackle 5. Now? We are usually in an attacking position. The more pressure you apply, the harder it is for the opposition to hold resolve...this is, of course, dependent on our attack forcing extra sets of six, breaking the line & of course, scoring. BUT...we are now at the least, in a position to do these things.

Back