Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kul

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Leader
GENERAL INFORMATION: This topic has its own rules.
1. Don’t be a dick. You have your views, I’ve mine, congratulations we live in a society. Respect the fact that people may have different views to you. If you can’t do this, you don’t belong here.
2. Don’t post anything that will get this site in trouble
3. Otherwise this thread is a place where you have a bit more flexibility. Just don’t be a dick. You have freedom of expression here, but that also means you accept that the expression of the rest of the world may not agreed with your views. This is not a free site and you have no right whatsoever to complain.

I'm not going to lie….

Malcolm Turnbull > Rudd

discuss

Last edited:
Not a fan of either to be honest. Rudd is well spoken and conveys himself well but I think he could have a better support staff around him. I'm not paying any real attention to the policies that either are trying to put forward but they both seem pretty quiet to me at the moment.

domestic politics is a yawn and has been since the mid to late 8o's.

In fact all domestic politics worldwide is not much chop. Bar a few extremists every major party is drifting towards a centrist blamange.

7 years of study in political science without once having to address the rabble of Aus politics made me happy

Smeg

are you much of a fan of Geopolitics?

@smeghead said:
domestic politics is a yawn and has been since the mid to late 8o's.

In fact all domestic politics worldwide is not much chop. Bar a few extremists every major party is drifting towards a centrist blamange.

7 years of study in political science without once having to address the rabble of Aus politics made me happy

Respectfully, I disagree - Only because I get in too much trouble with people from other countries discussing their politics and how it relates to the rest of the world.

That said I'll be happy when by definition that the Liberal Party realises that they're not a liberal (classical or social) party at all but a Conservative party.

@Kul said:
I'm not going to lie….

Malcolm Turnbull Rudd

discuss

At what? Obviously not in the polls,or maybe trying to throw mud with fake emails.Whats your point?

Rudd's real aim in life is to replace Ban-Ki Moon

The worst thing howard did for the liberals was win the election before last. If he'd lost that one they'd be back in by now as it is they'll be in the wilderness for some time to come (thankfully). Even longer if they leave turnbull there.

Turnbull is the liberal equivalent of mark latham.

States should not exist anymore. Expand local council & federal responsibilities and get rid of the layer of bureaucracy in the middle. States made sense when it took 3 weeks on horseback to cross the country. It doesn't anymore.

Discuss any or all.

Surely there's one or more statements in that lot that will start some debate (or possibly get this thread closed…)

Rudd was an absolute twit on Rove a few weeks ago. Painful to watch.

I reckon Joe Hockey would go well as opposition leader.

I have worked at NSW state parliament house. How can I put this. Your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. It doesn't matter who is in power as the bureaucrats run the show. Unfortunately we don't get to vote for them.

Cheers

There are deffinately too many levels of government softlaw. I have the opinion that we would all be better off if state politics was abandoned and have sub-electorates under them. I think things would than move quicker, there would be less deadwood and money can be streamlined more efficiently.

@softlaw said:
States should not exist anymore. Expand local council & federal responsibilities and get rid of the layer of bureaucracy in the middle. States made sense when it took 3 weeks on horseback to cross the country. It doesn't anymore.

That would get my vote. All the states seem to do is bicker amongst themselves. If they were all pulling in the same direction it would make more sense. And what is the relevance of having different laws in different states?

Given the federated States form the Commonwealth of Australia under the Constitution, do you really think you could get the States to willingly fold? Or even that the Australia public would vote for it via referendum?

Just floating an idea, I don't advocate it or anything, but what about adding more States instead, at least on the East Coast not including Tasmania

The border can be the far side of the GDR - so Brisbane, Gold Coast, etc, Sydney, Blue Mountains etc and whatever fits in Victoria, they all become QLD, NSW, VIC and the areas west of that become something else (eg. Western QLD, Western NSW, Western VIC).

After all the city councils in those areas are absolutely useless and do exactly what the State Government of the Day was going to do anyway.

That way the councils, I believe, would have more of a say.

[Public Debate](http://publicdebate.forumup.org) is a forum you could discuss all this in, if you're serious.

Heres my two cents…..Labor gov's - no matter in what capacity they exist all suffer from the same disease....they are all spend thrifts.

I feel sorry for all the young people of this country who got on the kevin 07 bandwagon and threw out a government who had us going in the right direction. They all thought they were so cool wearing sloganistic tee shirts and chanting the lines written by the greedy union officials. Some are only just starting to realise now...probably because they have grown up a bit, or finally joined the work force, that they have made a very serious blunder that they are going to be the victims of in the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back