Quick update - Website

@4jtigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499356) said:
@finesttigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499330) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499321) said:
@finesttigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499312) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499306) said:
@finesttigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499297) said:
There was absolutely no ambiguity about what The Roman emperor meant when he showed his thumbs to the gladiator, the gladiator was either spared or dead.

Hand gestures is another form of non verbal communication, and sometimes if it's used in a deliberate wrongful way there could be serious consequences.

So how can we trust and what if that every poster on this forum is not using these hand gestures responsibly?

Some believe that these hand gestures are used on social media sites such as this forum, they are basically supposed to be meant to mean that you agree or don't agree with a post, and supposedly there should be no ambiguity about that.

What i've learned during my time on this forum is that those people who say and believe that the thumbs down icon is only used to mean that they don't agree with a post are either ignorant or are the deniers of this problem, this icon has much much more meanings than what is believed by some.

And when we feel strongly about a topic such as this one, and talk about on this forum, guess what? There will always be 1 or more people who will get upset along the way, but i will not hold a grudge with anyone and my intention is to not upset anyone and i'm sorry if i have,

But the sayings and doings of the deniers of this problem does not matter one bit anymore, what matters now is that the administrator has identified this as a serious problem, and i should also add that i do recall others and @willow did also mention his concerns about this problem too.

To those who say that the thumbs down icon was only used to mean **"i don't agree".**
The Emperor has this to say to you.
![IMG_20211029_134635.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1635476153908-img_20211029_134635.jpg)

How do you manage when you're confronted with actual real-life problems?

What are you talking about?
You can't just make statements like this and then not bother to elaborate, I can't read your mind,
What's your point and thoughts about my post?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where
10 is the loss of a loved one, and
1 is some spilt milk that had to be wiped up
I would have thought a thumbs down by a stranger on the internet, who you will never meet, and whose opinions will have no bearing on your life, is a 0.

Actually, it means that you have 0 (zero) understanding of this problem,
And it also means that you have zero respect for the person who realised that this is a serious problem and created this thread.

a thumbs up and a thumbs down is a serious problem? like seriously?

I have a different take on it. If I post a post with something controversial or provocative, I expect some downvotes. If I say something completely contrary to the group think like "Luke Brooks had a good game today", I expect a downvote. Its when I post something completely factual, uncontroversial like "water is wet" or "dropped balls really cost us today" and I get 2 or three downvotes, then you know its completely personal and the purpose of the downvotes is strictly to send a message of "you are an (insert your prefered expletive) and I dont like you"> Now I still dont get too emotional about that but I think it adds to a negative vibe in the forum.

@jd-tiger said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499363) said:
Time to get this post relevant to the topic, and that's I don't think it's a thumbs down that is the problem, it's the attitude/behaviour of some posters. Try to understand that your opinion is just an opinion, not right, not wrong, an opinion. And if someone has a different opinion, well good on them.

***Try to treat each poster as if they are someone you really respect, then converse with them that way. Respectfully. From what I've seen in here, most people do already.***

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox, thanks Kul for removing the thumbs down and trying to help.

I have obviously butt heads with quite a few here and been involved in some significant to and fro. My involvement, particularly lately has been noted and I was recently banned and whilst I genuinely think I shouldnt have been banned (I didnt actually breach any forum rules) I can see that I was involved in a situation that contributed to rules being broken and generally bringing the tone down. My banning is neither here nor there, irrelevant.

The point I make in response to yours is that over time nearly all of the people here that I have butt heads with I have gone on to develop a mutual (I think) respect, if not a friendship. Of course it would be better if that happened without the headbutting in the first place but the fact is that if even in the middle of the head butting, both parties can have respect and principles and try to get back tot he knowledge that it is all just opinions and we are all entitled to them.

I have to add though that there is something different about some of the latest crop that has meant that that point is never reached and I dont know what that could be other than influence outside the forum.

@finesttigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499366) said:
There was absolutely no ambiguity about what The Roman emperor meant when he showed his thumbs to the gladiator, the gladiator was either spared or dead.

Hand gestures is another form of non verbal communication, and sometimes if it's used in a deliberate wrongful way there could be serious consequences.

So how can we trust and what if that every poster on this forum is not using these hand gestures responsibly?

Some believe that these hand gestures are used on social media sites such as this forum, they are basically supposed to be meant to mean that you agree or don't agree with a post, and supposedly there should be no ambiguity about that.

What i've learned during my time on this forum is that those people who say and believe that the thumbs down icon is only used to mean that they don't agree with a post are either ignorant or are the deniers of this problem, this icon has much much more meanings than what is believed by some.

And when we feel strongly about a topic such as this one, and talk about on this forum, guess what? There will always be 1 or more people who will get upset along the way, but i will not hold a grudge with anyone and my intention is to not upset anyone and i'm sorry if i have,

But the sayings and doings of the deniers of this problem does not matter one bit anymore, what matters now is that the administrator has identified this as a serious problem, and i should also add that i do recall others and @willow did also mention his concerns about this problem too.

To those who say that the thumbs down icon was only used to mean **"i don't agree".**
![IMG_20211029_134635.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1635476153908-img_20211029_134635.jpg)

You can't just make statements like this and then not bother to elaborate, I can't read your mind,

I would have thought a thumbs down by a stranger on the internet, who you will never meet, and whose opinions will have no bearing on your life, is a 0.

And it also means that you have zero respect for the person who realised that this is a serious problem and created this thread.

@TillLindemann said - it's the internet/social media and who cares - you should have enough confidence in yourself - if a thumbs up and down affects your mood on how to deal with life then you will need to have a good re-think and you judging him that he has zero respect to the creator of the thread is oh boy - I shall say no more :face_with_rolling_eyes said:
I said zero respect because @TillLindemann analogy is disregarding all the serious reasons that the administrater saw which then made him decide to take this action.

Saying things and denying that there was a problem and then using analogy to make it look like it was hardly worth worrying about such as "spilt milk" yes, all of this ***shows that there is a lack of understanding, or, disregard and disrespect.***

or reframing perspective?

Ive been watching with interest to see how this unfolds.
My understanding through personal experience is that there are three broad levels of communication.
Small talk, where the weather is often the main topic.
Medium size talk, where opinions are discussed.
Big talk, the really hard stuff where people discuss their feelings.
As it is with strangers the talk needs to progress through those stages and in that order.
All this talk about personal feelings certainly gives the impression you are no longer strangers.
Who would have thought a struggling footy team and a thumbs down radio button could bring people together like this LOL

@TillLindemann said - it's the internet/social media and who cares - you should have enough confidence in yourself - if a thumbs up and down affects your mood on how to deal with life then you will need to have a good re-think and you judging him that he has zero respect to the creator of the thread is oh boy - I shall say no more :face_with_rolling_eyes said:
I said zero respect because @TillLindemann analogy is disregarding all the serious reasons that the administrater saw which then made him decide to take this action.

Saying things and denying that there was a problem and then using analogy to make it look like it was hardly worth worrying about such as "spilt milk" yes, all of this shows that there is a lack of understanding, or, disregard and disrespect.

My personal opinion is that it isn't really something to worry about, downvotes have never worried me in the slightest, just like people speaking about me behind my back doesn't worry me. If it was important enough they would say something to me, if an issue is important enough they will respond to my post and not downvote me. I see a downvote as someone saying they disagree but it is not important enough for them to respond.

@cochise said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499407) said:

Saying things and denying that there was a problem and then using analogy to make it look like it was hardly worth worrying about such as "spilt milk" yes, all of this shows that there is a lack of understanding, or, disregard and disrespect.

My personal opinion is that it isn't really something to worry about, downvotes have never worried me in the slightest, just like people speaking about me behind my back doesn't worry me. If it was important enough they would say something to me, if an issue is important enough they will respond to my post and not downvote me. I see a downvote as someone saying they disagree but it is not important enough for them to respond.

That's your opinion @cochise , but you can't deny that @kul 's opinion now, is that the use of this damned icon was, in his words, "disappointing and, to be frank, embarrassing"

And this clear statement by @Kul is enough for me to know.

@finesttigers said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499427) said:

That's your opinion @cochise , but you can't deny that @kul 's opinion now, is that the use of this damned icon was, in his words, "disappointing and, to be frank, embarrassing"

And I don't have to share @kul opinion or yours. I can not believe people get wrapped up in upvotes or downvotes.

@cochise said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499433) said:

And I don't have to share @kul opinion or yours. I can not believe people get wrapped up in upvotes or downvotes.

Lockdown has ruined us all mate . We are all a little cooked I reckon , without even realising it . Much like the housing market , mental health services is booming . I dare say most of the issues relate to this .

@strongee said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499441) said:

Lockdown has ruined us all mate . We are all a little cooked I reckon , without even realising it . Much like the housing market , mental health services is booming . I dare say most of the issues relate to this .

I have to catch myself a lot atm with people, I have avoided this discussion for that very reason. I just can't imagine people being worried about downvotes, especially when they have more upvotes then downvotes, doesn't that mean the majority agree with them?

@cochise said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499447) said:

I have to catch myself a lot atm with people, I have avoided this discussion for that very reason. I just can't imagine people being worried about downvotes, especially when they have more upvotes then downvotes, doesn't that mean the majority agree with them?

Especially when people have literally thousands of likes. Apparently a few dislikes outweigh all those likes.

@gnr4life said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499456) said:

Especially when people have literally thousands of likes. Apparently a few dislikes outweigh all those likes.

As I said I don't understand it, I honestly don't care if I am the only person that has my opinion, if I believe it enough I will still promote it and defend it.

@tiger5150 said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499372) said:
Time to get this post relevant to the topic, and that's I don't think it's a thumbs down that is the problem, it's the attitude/behaviour of some posters. Try to understand that your opinion is just an opinion, not right, not wrong, an opinion. And if someone has a different opinion, well good on them.

***Try to treat each poster as if they are someone you really respect, then converse with them that way. Respectfully. From what I've seen in here, most people do already.***

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox, thanks Kul for removing the thumbs down and trying to help.

I have obviously butt heads with quite a few here and been involved in some significant to and fro. My involvement, particularly lately has been noted and I was recently banned and whilst I genuinely think I shouldnt have been banned (I didnt actually breach any forum rules) I can see that I was involved in a situation that contributed to rules being broken and generally bringing the tone down. My banning is neither here nor there, irrelevant.

The point I make in response to yours is that over time nearly all of the people here that I have butt heads with I have gone on to develop a mutual (I think) respect, if not a friendship. Of course it would be better if that happened without the headbutting in the first place but the fact is that if even in the middle of the head butting, both parties can have respect and principles and try to get back tot he knowledge that it is all just opinions and we are all entitled to them.

I have to add though that there is something different about some of the latest crop that has meant that that point is never reached and I dont know what that could be other than influence outside the forum.

Why do you think head butting is a constant in virtual relationships with you?

@cochise said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499459) said:

As I said I don't understand it, I honestly don't care if I am the only person that has my opinion, if I believe it enough I will still promote it and defend it.

Same . I think that’s pretty obvious at this point . It’s all to do with the algorithm of social media sites . This site obviously just being a message board has a simple algorithm of pushing the last reply to the top of list.

Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook generally push whatever it is that will keep you clicking on the site. Both positive ,negative ,obscene ,whatever it takes.
This creates bad mental pathways , where people now put real world value in a simple thing like clicking a thumb up or down.
Some/most wouldn’t even realise that they’ve been manipulated into thinking this way.
It’s why so many people have killed themselves over huge downvotes and bad feedback off these sites.

They’ve been sucked into the vortex of putting real world value in ones and zeros on a screen. And because of this we are witnessing this play out now.

Whether you and I think it’s ridiculous , childish or crazy or whatever , to them it’s just as real as someone calling you a piece of crap in real life .

People will say I’m over thinking this , but I don’t think I am sadly.

@strongee said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499494) said:

Same . I think that’s pretty obvious at this point . It’s all to do with the algorithm of social media sites . This site obviously just being a message board has a simple algorithm of pushing the last reply to the top of list.

Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook generally push whatever it is that will keep you clicking on the site. Both positive ,negative ,obscene ,whatever it takes.
This creates bad mental pathways , where people now put real world value in a simple thing like clicking a thumb up or down.
Some/most wouldn’t even realise that they’ve been manipulated into thinking this way.
It’s why so many people have killed themselves over huge downvotes and bad feedback off these sites.

They’ve been sucked into the vortex of putting real world value in ones and zeros on a screen. And because of this we are witnessing this play out now.

Whether you and I think it’s ridiculous , childish or crazy or whatever , to them it’s just as real as someone calling you a piece of crap in real life .

I do agree with what you are saying, but if a stranger walks up to me and tells me I am a piece of crap in real life then my reaction would be the same as someone giving me a downvote, I couldn't care less. I don't seek validation from strangers in real life and I sure don't seek it from thumbs up or thumbs down on a social media site.

I mean this is a very genuine way, that anyone that is seeking validation from strangers both online and in the real world to the point it is having a negative effect on your mental health then it is probably time to re think your thought processes on this, and if you are unable to do that it might be time to seek help in doing that.

Mental Health is an issue that impacts deeply on my life and it is very important to place value in the right things and adapt positive thought processes that improves your mental health. If downvotes are a trigger for negative thought patterns then I would think there are other areas that are causing negative thought processes as well and instead of fighting to have those the downvote triggers removed it may be time to seek help to overcome the negative triggers as you can not remove all of them.

I hope that post makes sense and people read it in the manner it was intended.

@cochise said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499505) said:

I do agree with what you are saying, but if a stranger walks up to me and tells me I am a piece of crap in real life then my reaction would be the same as someone giving me a downvote, I couldn't care less. I don't seek validation from strangers in real life and I sure don't seek it from thumbs up or thumbs down on a social media site.

I mean this is a very genuine way, that anyone that is seeking validation from strangers both online and in the real world to the point it is having a negative effect on your mental health then it is probably time to re think your thought processes on this, and if you are unable to do that it might be time to seek help in doing that.

Mental Health is an issue that impacts deeply on my life and it is very important to place value in the right things and adapt positive thought processes that improves your mental health. If downvotes are a trigger for negative thought patterns then I would think there are other areas that are causing negative thought processes as well and instead of fighting to have those the downvote triggers removed it may be time to seek help to overcome the negative triggers as you can not remove all of them.

I agree , but that’s what I’m saying about social media. Whilst people previously may have thought “is that guys right ? “ The algorithm prays on these insecurities , and now will put feedback loops in your way , because that validation / need / insecurity is being met. But much like heroin or other opioids / gambling addictions , there’s only so much you can get before , you need more and on and on it goes .
Then when the opposite happens , it destroys people’s self worth . Brutally rips them apart and shatters their existence . This thread is a by product of that whole loop IMO .

@strongee said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499509) said:

I agree , but that’s what I’m saying about social media. Whilst people previously may have thought “is that guys right ? “ The algorithm prays on these insecurities , and now will put feedback loops in your way , because that validation / need / insecurity is being met. But much like heroin or other opioids / gambling addictions , there’s only so much you can get before , you need more and on and on it goes .
Then when the opposite happens , it destroys people’s self worth . Brutally rips them apart and shatters their existence . This thread is a by product of that whole loop IMO .

Sam Harris , has interviewed multiple people over the years about this issue , and the responsibility Facebook especially , as they own Instagram and snap chat as well , have to the broader community . A lot of it focuses on the trump election and Bot / fake account / Facebook algorithm , but it’s generally the same thing. It’s how Qanon became a thing, flat earth became a thing , anti vax . It’s all the same. Ruthless algorithms designed wholly and solely for one thing. To keep you on their platform . Regardless of the social cost.

@strongee said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499509) said:

And my answer to each of those issues would be to seek professional help in dealing with them, you can remove the triggers, gambling sites for example but the underlying issue that is being manipulated is still present. If that underlying issue is not addressed then something else is going to trigger it, it may go from people downvoting me to the way someone looked at me when I was walking down the street.

@donk said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499477) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Quick update \- Website](/post/1499372) said:

Why do you think head butting is a constant in virtual relationships with you?

Because I have the self awareness to realise it. There are many many many others here who provoke and antagonise constantly without the self awareness to look in the mirror. Ironically one or two of them have called me out.

Back