Rothfield names Benji as choker

Snide

The all-knowing Phil Rothfield has today named Benji Marshall at no. 4 in his top 10 chokers in the lead up to the finals.

Marshall is named behind Sandow, D. Williams & Wallace at 1-3 respectively.

Following Marshall on the list are Sammut, C. Walker, Waterhouse, B. Rogers, Hodges & Finch.

Phil seems to have forgotten the criteria he applied to this list in that the player is likely to go missing in big games. For Benji, who has won sudden death finals, a GF & World Cup Final I daresay his call is a bit harsh.

He does base his opinion on Benji's inconsistency - and while we would surely all concede that - it does not equate to a big game choker!

Give yourself an uppercut Buzz!

rothfield is a rosey cheeked idiot.

Lets see, benji has won a grand final, never lost a finals game, won a world cup, time after time produced big plays to turn a game (intercept in brisbane prelim final as one example) even on monday night he took that kick on the full running the length when manly had us under the pump.

its no coincidence that benji constantly make these type of plays, he is far from a "choker" what about his pressure kick from the sideline against newcastle to win the game when we were 14 down with 10 to play?

Rothfield is an idiot plain and simple

definately inconsistent, but hard to say choker when you consider he is 2 from 2 in big games.

Don't think anyone pays attention to a blog like this. It doesn't even make sense. When have most of these guys 'choked'? Perhaps biggest liabilities, but not chokers.

Phil's rosy cheeks come from his neverending long lunches and subsequent broken capillaries (not to mention muddled thoughts).

Having Benji on the list is bad enough - but to have him ahead of Finch (who has lost two grand finals & hardly set Origin on fire), Chris Walker (the bloke is still a loose cannon with zero defence) & Ben Rogers (a 2nd grader who ruined the Dragons finals shot in 2008) is fricking unbelievably ridiculous!

I don't know if "choker" is the right phrase to use, but theres no doubt he is horrible on some occaisions, and that has been the majority of occaisions this season.

At least some fans can admit it.

I would not call him a choker.

In the past he has tried to take on everything himself and forgets he has others to help him. He also has had a tendancy to lack patience but this year at half as begun tempering that and made him a more entire footballer.

I think for me the fact remains we probably win the Dogs game with him fit and the Broncos game if he wasn't binned.

The current structure is also helping to no end

I guess you could call Wests Tigers chokers as a group, having been close to making the top 8 for the last few years but never quite making it. And I guess Marshall is one of our big name players who you would hope to stand up in those situations and win the game when it needed to be won. So I guess I can sort of see where Rothfield is coming from…

No, stuff it. I'm not going to agree with anything this goose of a journo writes!

@Zaibatsu said:
I don't know if "choker" is the right phrase to use, but theres no doubt he is horrible on some occaisions, and that has been the majority of occaisions this season.

Well high-and-mighty, have those occasions only been when the pressure is on? Cause that seems to be the point of the blog..

Not for you to come in and play your holier-than-thou role that you usually do

Rothfield's a goose! The sort of guy who if you punched his head in that stupid smile would still be there. His offering today is at least consistent with the trash publication he works for. Laugh it off guys. The fact Chris Sandow is in there sums up the credibility of the piece. Come on , how many games has he played at this end of the season.

I wouldn't have thrown Benji in there. Sure has overplayed his hand this year from trying too hard, but since the Tigers started their winning run Benji has played far more conservatively in attack and is playing more patient. Plus he has played a major part in several Tigers wins this season. Rothfield is a hack at the end of the day.

@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

Well high-and-mighty, have those occasions only been when the pressure is on? Cause that seems to be the point of the blog..

Have a think before you post, I said choker wasn't the right phrase to use. :unamused:

Good to see your IQ remains in single digits.

Definetly inconsistent which is what Rothfield said in his article….even though the article was supposed to be about chokers. Isn't being inconsistent on a week-to-week basis and choking on the big stage two completely different things???

Far from accurate in my opinion.

A chocker is someone who goes missing during big moments and Benji has a track record of anything but that, winning GF's, and playing well in the World cup final. One could also argue that he has only gotten better as more pressure is applied to the team this season.

He isn't consistent for sure, probably one of the most inconsistent players in the game when you consider the gap between his best footy and worst but that isn't the same thing as being a choker in fact far from it.

The author must be struggling for content, Benji has his faults on the field but handling pressure isn't one of them.

choking and inconsistency are too very different things.

The biggest choker should Barret for his efforts with St George in the past. Closely followed by Brian Smith, closely follwed by the St George club.

Benji isn't a choker

To me Benji is the exact opposite of choker. It does not matter who the opposition are or whether it is an all or nothing game, he will do some horrible things and some brilliant things during the game. He always seems to come out on top because his brilliant plays outweigh his stuff ups.

Inconsistent yes, Chocker hardly. Name on single player who plays 100% every game and i 'll run nude at the next home game.

We should name the top 20 journos who at the end of the year pick the correct top 8 or actually get all 8 tips right each week. Report on stories that matter Rothfield you loser and stop stirring up pointless debate. We have ahead one of the best end of seasons in recent memories lets start takling about that rather than slagging off easy targets who cannot answer back as if they do you will crucify them.

He has been consisntently good the last month.

Ill have Bunji any day of the week.

And the blog is ridiculous…..he is a proven big match player as he yet again proved against Manly.

@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

:laughing: :laughing:

Oh Z…..another classic.

Bunji has been horrible on the majority of occasions. :eek:pen_mouth:

Anything else......ur on fire. :laughing:

Back