Rumour - Cherrington to Penrith

Problem is that Cherrington's NRL career is about 2 minutes old, and yet people are already writing him off based on a few cameo appearances behind dominated forward packs for the most part.

By the same token, Liddle hasn't even laced on an NRL boot yet, and he is supposed to be a better long term solution?

The club has a tough decision on its hands as to who our long term hooker will be, and the end result will not please everyone. Just hope we don't end up losing both of them.

@diedpretty said:
@Harvey said:
They are trying to get us to up what we are paying him so they can get Liddle. Maybe unlike us The panthers can spot a overhyped junior and that is why they take Martin over Cleary or Cherrington over the youngsters named above

Agree - as much as I hate Gould - the guy is a very smart operator who has been around league forever - he knows talent when he sees it -he even talked up how the WT should do everything to keep Moses and Brooks while he made a play for Martin. We have placed way too much emphasis on keeping juniors who show early promise but never deliver.

Couldn't agree more. I like penrith as a club.I consider them similar to us as they bring youngsters through. But Gould is like a snake in the grass. He has his fingers in too many pies in rugby league.

A first grade spot isn't a job for life.

Id have cherrington penciled in at 9 for 2017\. If we are fair dinkum and another guy comes along who is better the gig will be his after that.

We can play these things smarter than we have in the past, where a first grade debut has meant a job for life for the "in" players and guys of equal talent don't get a look in.

Seen Liddle and Cherrington in State Cup.
Liddle has it over him as far as dominating at that level.

I've not seen anything in Cherrington at senior football level that suggests he should be kept over Liddle.
It's been obvious since the end of last year that Liddle is the Preferred hooker to succeed Farah.

From what I've seen, I couldn't agree more….

also know that cherrington went down to the storm for a look around, about 1-2 weeks ago.

@batboy said:

I've not seen anything in Cherrington at senior football level that suggests he should be kept over Liddle.
It's been obvious since the end of last year that Liddle is the Preferred hooker to succeed Farah.

While I have not seen Liddle play he is already a bit bigger than Mania although 2 years younger. I like the sound of what I'm hearing here on the forum.

@barra said:
@batboy said:

While I have not seen Liddle play he is already a bit bigger than Mania although 2 years younger. I like the sound of what I'm hearing here on the forum.

Exactly!! - Cherrington just hasn't kicked on.
I feel it may be environment or attitude rather than Talent…. Time will tell.

The problem is that players are asking for a release it is not the Tigers clearing the decks. Even Taylor has discussed lack of depth yet we continue to let players go without having any new players come in.

@old man tiger said:

Id have cherrington penciled in at 9 for 2017\. If we are fair dinkum and another guy comes along who is better the gig will be his after that.

We can play these things smarter than we have in the past, where a first grade debut has meant a job for life for the "in" players and guys of equal talent don't get a look in.

This is what really concerns me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when interviewed about the possible return of Benji, Taylor repeatedly said, Moses and Brooks are the future, like a mantra. That doesn't sound 'performance based' to me.

I'm not convinced that Taylor has much more say in the team structure than Potter did. As has been speculated by some on this forum I am beginning to believe there is a whiteboard in a back office at WT with a list of protected players on it to be retained and selected regardless of performance.

@NT Tiger said:
@old man tiger said:

This is what really concerns me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when interviewed about the possible return of Benji, Taylor repeatedly said, Moses and Brooks are the future, like a mantra. That doesn't sound 'performance based' to me.

I'm not convinced that Taylor has much more say in the team structure than Potter did. As has been speculated by some on this forum I am beginning to believe there is a whiteboard in a back office at WT with a list of protected players on it to be retained and selected regardless of performance.

Have to agree.

To come out with comments such as they are our future :blah gives the players a sense of control and to me that really stinks.
Players need to be held accountable, when is JT going to hold players accountable for there performances?
Anyway our halves aren't that great anyway…...consistently there not.

@foreveratiger said:
@NT Tiger said:
@old man tiger said:

Have to agree.

**To come out with comments such as they are our future :blah gives the players a sense of control and to me that really stinks.
Players need to be held accountable, when is JT going to hold players accountable for there performances?**

Yep. Really good point. How hard is it to simply say something like "We're pretty well covered in the halves department right now with our young blokes."

Seriously, the people in charge of this club don't seem to think things through too deeply. Everything you say has a consequence with players, fans etc.

@batboy said:
@barra said:
@batboy said:

Yes and No BB

I think that Cherrington needs more game time per match before we write him off

Its hard for a hooker to achieve his match goals when he is only getting 15 minutes , you don't get time to target specific defenders who you can attack when they are tired and then getting results

@happy tiger said:
@batboy said:
@barra said:
@batboy said:

Yes and No BB

I think that Cherrington needs more game time per match before we write him off

Its hard for a hooker to achieve his match goals when he is only getting 15 minutes , you don't get time to target specific defenders who you can attack when they are tired and then getting results

Seen plenty more than 15mins of Cherrington in Ressies - And Liddle…
Liddle is head and shoulders above him IMHO
And has a couple years until he gets to where Manaias' is now.

So the idea of a player swap could yet happen. If we see Liddle as the future hooker for the club then there's not much point keeping Cherry around. If we were to let him go now, in order to secure Taylor immediately i wouldn't be overly unhappy with that.

I've seen both players play a lot and without doubt Cherry is far more skillful and Liddle is far more of a one dimensional player. But with our halves already being highly skilled off the cuff talents, a hooker who does likewise may be one too many?

If Robbie and then Ballin are going to mostly play hooker this season gaining a workhorse back rower would give our team as a whole a benefit.

Apparently Taylor could be making a decision today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherry leaving soon too.

@foreveratiger said:
@NT Tiger said:
@old man tiger said:

Have to agree.

To come out with comments such as they are our future :blah gives the players a sense of control and to me that really stinks.
Players need to be held accountable, when is JT going to hold players accountable for there performances?

Tbh I wouldn't expect him to say anything else, regardless of what the back office thinks internally. End of the day, they have options in their favour, so there's a chance they end up back here in 2017 even if WT want to go in a different direction.

Keep in mind that the rumours around Blake Green keep doing the rounds - I wouldn't be surprised if they were being leaked on the WT side for leverage. ie. to show that we do have other options should the halves (or one of them) decide to move on.

@Balmain Boy said:
So the idea of a player swap could yet happen. If we see Liddle as the future hooker for the club then there's not much point keeping Cherry around. If we were to let him go now, in order to secure Taylor immediately i wouldn't be overly unhappy with that.

I've seen both players play a lot and without doubt Cherry is far more skillful and Liddle is far more of a one dimensional player. But with our halves already being highly skilled off the cuff talents, a hooker who does likewise may be one too many?

If Robbie and then Ballin are going to mostly play hooker this season gaining a workhorse back rower would give our team as a whole a benefit.

Apparently Taylor could be making a decision today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherry leaving soon too.

How about we give Penrith our Taylor, and they give us their Taylor, seems fair to me. :pray:

Cherrington can go, WT have other options. In the first instance Farah and Ballin for this year, with Halatau as emergency back up. Liddle can get the opportunity.

Next year- assume Farah goes to ESL, Ballin as hooker and Liddle learning as understudy with occassional interchange time in the main squad. Maybe find another player that can fill in as back up as well. I'm sure we have that in the current squad somewhere.

@Milky said:
Cherrington, Ballin and Farah for Segeyaro

And we can throw in Milone, Buchanan and one or two others just to sweeten the deal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back