Rumour - Cherrington to Penrith

@Harvey said:
@Balmain Boy said:
So the idea of a player swap could yet happen. If we see Liddle as the future hooker for the club then there's not much point keeping Cherry around. If we were to let him go now, in order to secure Taylor immediately i wouldn't be overly unhappy with that.

I've seen both players play a lot and without doubt Cherry is far more skillful and Liddle is far more of a one dimensional player. But with our halves already being highly skilled off the cuff talents, a hooker who does likewise may be one too many?

If Robbie and then Ballin are going to mostly play hooker this season gaining a workhorse back rower would give our team as a whole a benefit.

Apparently Taylor could be making a decision today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherry leaving soon too.

What is his one dimension? The fact that he can defend the middle or that he can score 60m tries running from dummy half? I think both have a future and depending on the dollars they are currently asking for we might keep both. The key is unloading someone on 900k who is not worth anything near that

You answered your own question. Liddle has a running game. Not a passing game. Not a kicking game. But he's a very effective runner, and ok in defence. Cherry has a good running, and great passing game, and a hint of a kicking abilities, although his defence still requires work…

They are very different players, and O'Neil needs to decide what kind of style we're going to play, and which players/positions are going to bring us to the style and success that we want.

@Balmain Boy said:
You answered your own question. Liddle has a running game. Not a passing game. Not a kicking game. But he's a very effective runner, and ok in defence. Cherry has a good running, and great passing game, and a hint of a kicking abilities, although his defence still requires work…

They are very different players, and O'Neil needs to decide what kind of style we're going to play, and which players/positions are going to bring us to the style and success that we want.

It's difficult to know that until we know who our halves are going to be. As a general rule though it's easier to find ball-running hookers and 5/8's than play-making hookers and 5/8's, so hopefully we keep that in mind.

I haven't seen much of Liddle this year but from what i saw of him in NYC i would lean towards cherrington. Cherrington has more ball playing ability from what i could see. has a level head too.

bit off topic

but speaking of ballin. how would he go in the second row? having a 2nd row of

11\. Lawrence
12\. Ballin
13\. Halatau

and bench of

14\. Sironen
15\. Ava
16\. Sue
17\. Lovett/Elijah Taylor pending the rumoured signing

gives us a bit more impact in the middle 30 (we have positive differentials in the rest and -100 in that middle 30.

Ballin in the 2nd row would be like having an even smaller version of Lovett in the back row. A big no.

@innsaneink said:
Our top squad is very vague

So can you play a player outside the Top 25 ie JJ Felise for a couple of games as suggested and not effect the Salary Cap or not…?

@Geo. said:
@innsaneink said:

So can you play a player outside the Top 25 ie JJ Felise for a couple of games as suggested and not effect the Salary Cap or not…?

I don't know, but the fact he receives payment under the NYC salary cap might offset it to some degree.

The whole 2nd tier cap is $460,000 which I assume has to cover both contracts for players outside the Top 25 and match payments (which are probably a fixed minimum imposed by the NRL). That may explain why we released players like Seve, Liolevave, McConnachie, Hoeter and Parahi - so we'd actually have cap space to play players outside our Top 25.

I think yet another thing this club needs to be more sensible about in future is the composition of 18-25 in our cap. As soon as injuries strike we seem to look immediately towards 26-35 and put ourselves under cap pressure…or we play 18-25 and they're significantly worse than some of the options in 26-35.

Maybe we should consider running a cheaper State Cup roster and just entering the market when major injuries strike (like Parra did successfully with De Gois a couple of years ago).

@Geo. said:
@innsaneink said:

Im not exactly sure on the whole 2nd tier cap thing but I do know its why coaches are reluctant to make unforced changes as you never know whats around the corner re: suspensions, injuries and rep duties etc.
People think coaches have unlimited players at their disposal, they need to rememeber the teams that win the comp usually use the least amount of players through the year.
That doesnt mean im against changes for underperforming players, but I see why it rarely happens and as some have said calls from above to change as little as possible may be at play in JTs decision…but moreso to prevent cap trouble rather than possibly not bruising a few young egos

RLW reporting Cherrington is a done deal to Penrith, with Penrith to make a huge bid for Tamou and another for Greg Bird, how can they afford these huge bids they are making, we are so far off the pace it is not funny.
Say's Cherrington was not happy stuck behind Farah and Ballin, and Penrith was probably the only club who could match the cowboys offer for Tamou, and Bird wouldn't be offered an extension on the gold coast.

@851 said:
RLW reporting Cherrington is a done deal to Penrith, with Penrith to make a huge bid for Tamou and another for Greg Bird, how can they afford these huge bids they are making, we are so far off the pace it is not funny.
Say's Cherrington was not happy stuck behind Farah and Ballin, and Penrith was probably the only club who could match the cowboys offer for Tamou, and Bird wouldn't be offered an extension on the gold coast.

I hope Penrith do get Bird and Tamou because it'll leave them open to a raid on some of their current talent.

The Panthers are as over-active in the player market as we are under-active. They just have a lash at any talent on the market without really thinking about what they really need.

If true, there were predictions from a few forum members when the signing of Ballin was very quietly announced that this would be a possibility. It doesn't seem like a smart business decision to put time and effort into the development of such a talent only to see him walk out of the club due to the signing of a 32 year old with a serious knee injury.

@851 said:

Hence why his in Reserve Grade .

As soon as we signed Ballin it was likely that someone would target Mania. One of the all time dumbest moves made by a club ever. Cant afford to dwell on it again, almost did my head in the first time.

@851 said:
RLW reporting Cherrington is a done deal to Penrith, with Penrith to make a huge bid for Tamou and another for Greg Bird, **how can they afford these huge bids they are making**, we are so far off the pace it is not funny.

Their Centre of Excellence is probably pretty enticing.

@Pawsandclaws said:
If true, there were predictions from a few forum members when the signing of Ballin was very quietly announced that this would be a possibility. It doesn't seem like a smart business decision to put time and effort into the development of such a talent only to see him walk out of the club due to the signing of a 32 year old with a serious knee injury.

Cherrington is only contracted until the end of 2016\. He would have been behind Robbie in 2017 anyway. We were always going to struggle to compete if a club decided to come along and offer him a starting first grade spot for 2017, which is what Penrith have probably done given the talk of Segeyaro being on the outer (and Segeyaro will have to go if they're going to be able to afford Tamou).

The Ballin thing just sounds made up. He hasn't even had to compete with him yet so I don't know why he would assume that he's behind in the pecking order.

@Telltails said:
As soon as we signed Ballin it was likely that someone would target Mania. One of the all time dumbest moves made by a club ever. Cant afford to dwell on it again, almost did my head in the first time.

I like Ballin as a player always have , but there is no doubt that he was bought just to make Farah uneasy and for him to possibly leave .

No Club buys a 32 year on a 2 year deal when the 1st year of his Contract he will be missing half the year anyway through injury , yeah maybe Manly a footing most of the bill anyway but the end result is a disgruntled player with limited game time ( Cherrington ).

@foreveratiger said:
@Telltails said:

I like Ballin as a player always have , but there is no doubt that he was bought just to make Farah uneasy and for him to possibly leave .

No Club buys a 32 year on a 2 year deal when the 1st year of his Contract he will be missing half the year anyway through injury , yeah maybe Manly a footing most of the bill anyway but the end result is a disgruntled player with limited game time ( Cherrington ).

Ha - no club except us FT.

@Nelson said:
@Pawsandclaws said:

Cherrington is only contracted until the end of 2016\. He would have been behind Robbie in 2017 anyway. We were always going to struggle to compete if a club decided to come along and offer him a starting first grade spot for 2017, which is what Penrith have probably done given the talk of Segeyaro being on the outer (and Segeyaro will have to go if they're going to be able to afford Tamou).

The Ballin thing just sounds made up. He hasn't even had to compete with him yet so I don't know why he would assume that he's behind in the pecking order.

There has been reference to an understanding Robbie had to make this year his last at WTs and play a year or so in ESL (a handing over of the baton to Cherrington). I am astounded our Board agreed to the signing of Ballin.

Back