OFFICIAL SG Ball Cup

The thing is, if he wasn't on a first grade contract no one would be overly worried about his development. It's the desperation of past management that raises expectations. He's a giant kid.

I'm curious how agile NAS was at the same age
Two other big boppers from Balmain SG Ball [Douglas Tuala 'n Jekope Sovau] are back this week. Hope they are given the same diet and help as Miller, to get their fitness up to scratch.
Similar styles and weight problems IMO.

Two other big boppers from Balmain SG Ball [Douglas Tuala 'n Jekope Sovau] are back this week. Hope they are given the same diet and help as Miller, to get their fitness up to scratch.
Similar styles and weight problems IMO.
I'm not sure about that. Sovau has more of a Pole build, small nuggety

Will most likely cost them a finals spot.
We have no gameplan. Did we want them to make finals? If so tal, kit and Mason stay there. Players are moving up and down between grades, there's no consistency or continuity in any grade.

Appalling roster management and junior development

Last edited:
We have no gameplan. Did we went them to make finals? If so tal, kit and Mason stay there. Players are moving up and down between grades, there's no consistency or continuity in any grade.

Appalling roster management and junior development
Agreed, let them come through once SG ball is finished. I take it out stock are thin hence why we did it??!!??

Just watched the highlights of SG Ball on NSWRL website. Balmain's defence in the package was woeful especially in the middle. The only player who looks to have a future in Flegg next season is Cameron Kanaan. I see they are trying him in the outside backs now where we need artillery. Hopefully for Wests, this game was an aboration and they just didn't turn up and a good rocket will get them back into gear. Some bad misses in defence from Will Craig, McMenemy, Edwards-Moeke, our backrowers & Coady. Luke Laulilii did throw a nice pass for our only try.

Just watched the highlights of SG Ball on NSWRL website. Balmain's defence in the package was woeful especially in the middle. The only player who looks to have a future in Flegg next season is Cameron Kanaan. I see they are trying him in the outside backs now where we need artillery. Hopefully for Wests, this game was an aboration and they just didn't turn up and a good rocket will get them back into gear. Some bad misses in defence from Will Craig, McMenemy, Edwards-Moeke, our backrowers & Coady. Luke Laulilii did throw a nice pass for our only try.
Cameron Kanaan has something about him and to regularly stand up and be one of his teams best each and every week despite his team being very ordinary is a credit to him.
I hope he gets a run in the outside backs for our Flegg side before the season finishes, I think he’s the type of player who will step up with each opportunity presented to him.
Luke Laulilli also continues to impress. I was somewhat concerned about him as a future prospect due to his lack of height, but the more I watch him the more I am impressed, he’s a seriously good attacking player, probably needs to improve his defence if wanting to be considered as a centre, but I think he’s the type of player that could improve his weaknesses quite easily.
Willet has obvious talent also.

And for some bizarre reason, rather than Flegg or Cup, the Balmain SG ball side are the curtain raiser for this weekend's NRL match.
Absolutely diabolical planning, should be three grades at Leichhardt.
That’s because Western Suburbs Magpies manage and operate both Flegg and NSW Cup teams. Thats also why we had zero curtain raisers at our Campbelltown games last year as they insisted on playing at Lidcombe Oval.

That’s because Western Suburbs Magpies manage and operate both Flegg and NSW Cup teams. Thats also why we had zero curtain raisers at our Campbelltown games last year as they insisted on playing at Lidcombe Oval.
I've been a Western Suburbs Magpies supporter since Methuselah was knee high to the giant that David donged with a stone from a slingshot.
Lidcombe may well be hallowed ground for me and a lot of Magpies faithful, but us old farts have to get over the fact we are Wests Tigers now and always will be imo, thanks :mad: to a self-preservation stance taken by the HBG and to the detriment of The Mighty Magpies.
Wests Magpies have to stop living in the past and get the MAGPIES N.S.W. Cup team playing out of Campbelltown!!! as a warm-up game to the Real Deal....Wests Tigers N.R.L. games.

UNE SG Ball Cup - Round 8 vs. Roosters

Saturday, March 23 - 2:30 p.m. AEDT
Kirkham Oval, Camden

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Luke Laulilii
2. Navren Willett
3. Callum McMenemy
4. Will Craig
5. Daniel Waqa
6. Sonny Edwards-Moeke
7. Heith Pritchard (c)
8. Jordan Miller
9. Tallyn Da Silva
10. Michael Coady
11. Mitchell Taotua
12. Archie Duncombe
13. Denzel Schaafhausen-Mino

14. Kohan Lewis
15. Ewan Xuereb
16. Lucas Rossi
17. Maxwell Taotua

18. Jack Nicholas
19. Roy Quiroz-Mapusua
Coach: Joey Saukuru

UNE SG Ball Cup - Round 8 vs. Sea Eagles

Saturday, March 23 - 5:10 p.m. AEDT
Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

BALMAIN TIGERS

1. Marley Skeen
2. Hosea Kedzlie
3. Cameron Kanaan
4. Levi Gwynne-Tuitahi
5. Nelson Solo
6. Marc Tannous
7. Jack Hanratty
8. Keenan Lawandos
9. Jared Haywood (c)
10. Matthew Aitchison
11. Sam Schmitzer
12. Adam Meslemani
13. Archie Riley

14. Chad Daniels
15. Massimo Maestrale
16. Jekope Sovau
18. Henri Young

19. Charles Manapori-Reu
Coach: Chris Yates

UNE SG Ball Cup - Round 8 vs. Roosters

Saturday, March 23 - 2:30 p.m. AEDT
Kirkham Oval, Camden

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Luke Laulilii
2. Navren Willett
3. Callum McMenemy
4. Will Craig
5. Daniel Waqa
6. Sonny Edwards-Moeke
7. Heith Pritchard (c)
8. Jordan Miller
9. Tallyn Da Silva
10. Michael Coady
11. Mitchell Taotua
12. Archie Duncombe
13. Denzel Schaafhausen-Mino

14. Kohan Lewis
15. Ewan Xuereb
16. Lucas Rossi
17. Maxwell Taotua

18. Jack Nicholas
19. Roy Quiroz-Mapusua
Coach: Joey Saukuru
intrigued and concerned by Tallyn's development plan. seems to be jumping thru the grades at a rapid rate and I can't make sense of it.

the only thing I can think of is that they're using SG Ball as a way for him to drop down a grade and work on things before coming back up, but at the same time isn't Flegg better for that? anyone got any ideas on what's doing?

intrigued and concerned by Tallyn's development plan. seems to be jumping thru the grades at a rapid rate and I can't make sense of it.

the only thing I can think of is that they're using SG Ball as a way for him to drop down a grade and work on things before coming back up, but at the same time isn't Flegg better for that? anyone got any ideas on what's doing?
It could be as simple as the Ball team is much better than the Flegg team so they want him in that.

It could be as simple as the Ball team is much better than the Flegg team so they want him in that.
and you think it’s as simple as he’s being told to go back and work on things before coming back up?

and you think it’s as simple as he’s being told to go back and work on things before coming back up?
Could be.
I think he's more able to improve his game when the team he's in is in a contest with a better than average chance of winning than in a KOE team getting a mother and father of a hiding.

My observation is our top tier 19yos (those with NRL, Dev or T&T contracts) - TDS, Miller, Galvin, Latu, Kit, Craig, Willett, Mason & Lawandos - are only in contention for NSW Cup selection during the junior rep season (not Jersey Flegg) if their form warrants.

Cases in point Mason, TDS, Latu, Craig (NSW Cup trial) & Willett (NSW Cup trial). Galvin has taken a further leap due to his elite pre-season.

Our top tier 18yos similarly would only be in contention for Jersey Flegg selection during junior rep season. They would be Tannous & Luke Laulilii. Tannous played Flegg last week.

Whilst our top tier 20-21yos also vying for NSW Cup selection, those being Sukkar, Vaihu, Tumeth, Faagutu, Feledy, Solo Saukuru, Nicholas, Matai & you could throw in Sam Fainu & Matamua into this category.

Now when junior rep season finishes in a month, our top tier 18-21yos will all be pushing for NSW Cup selection if their form warrants it plus if spots become available due to injury.

The rest will be jostling for Jersey Flegg selection with our Flegg squad players.

It is already evident we are loading up on youth from Cup down this season so, early in the season, we may see blow-out results in Cup like last week but the plan will be for steady progression as they build reps & combinations.

Sorry if that reads confusing lol

My observation is our top tier 19yos (those with NRL, Dev or T&T contracts) - TDS, Miller, Galvin, Latu, Kit, Craig, Willett, Mason & Lawandos - are only in contention for NSW Cup selection during the junior rep season (not Jersey Flegg) if their form warrants.

Cases in point Mason, TDS, Latu, Craig (NSW Cup trial) & Willett (NSW Cup trial). Galvin has taken a further leap due to his elite pre-season.

Our top tier 18yos similarly would only be in contention for Jersey Flegg selection during junior rep season. They would be Tannous & Luke Laulilii. Tannous played Flegg last week.

Whilst our top tier 20-21yos also vying for NSW Cup selection, those being Sukkar, Vaihu, Tumeth, Faagutu, Feledy, Solo Saukuru, Nicholas, Matai & you could throw in Sam Fainu & Matamua into this category.

Now when junior rep season finishes in a month, our top tier 18-21yos will all be pushing for NSW Cup selection if their form warrants it plus if spots become available due to injury.

The rest will be jostling for Jersey Flegg selection with our Flegg squad players.

It is already evident we are loading up on youth from Cup down this season so, early in the season, we may see blow-out results in Cup like last week but the plan will be for steady progression as they build reps & combinations.

Sorry if that reads confusing lol
reads perfectly mate. certainly gives me more of an idea. once SG does wrap up I'd say they'll filter into Flegg similarly to what you mentioned. appreciate the reply!

Could be a way of lightening the load on his body but still get game time

Back