Sheens wary of easy run to finals talk

sargent

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched - that's the message from Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens when he weighs up the relative merits of his side's run to the finals.

Back-to-back wins have left the Tigers within touching distance of the top eight, and with a friendly run home, they are considered good bets to bridge the four-point gap to eighth-placed Manly.

But despite only three of their last seven games being against sides currently in the top eight, Sheens was having nothing to do with talk of an easy run ahead of his side's clash against Canberra on Sunday.

"I don't start counting on what might or might not happen - if that happened then Parramatta should have been beaten by Melbourne last night," Sheens said on Tuesday.

"The biggest mistake you make is saying `well they're behind us, they're not in the top four, therefore that should be two points for us".

"In fact those games are the hardest games because most sides at the moment still give themselves a chance because they're desperate.

"You saw that with Parramatta, you saw that with Souths and you saw that with us - there's actually more urgency from those teams than those that are comfortably in first second or third spot."

Thirty points would seemingly assure a side of finals football, while 28 points could leave sides dependant on their for and against.

The Tigers will be assured of finals football with six wins from seven matches, while five wins will put them in the 28 point lottery.

South Sydney face a similar situation, though five of their last seven are against top eight sides.

For the rest of the teams still in with a mathematical chance - it's about winning.

Parramatta's shock win over Melbourne kept their finals flame flickering, the Eels and Warriors needing to win six from seven to finish on 29 points, which would be enough to nab a top eight spot.

But that may be easier said than done with both teams having managed back-to-back wins just once this year, five of the Warriors' remaining matches coming against teams currently in the eight compared to four for the Eels.

The team with the toughest run is without doubt North Queensland, who have five of their last seven against sides in the top eight plus a home game against rivals Brisbane, who are currently sitting ninth despite being tied with the Cowboys, Penrith and Manly on 22 competition points.

Cowboys coach Neil Henry admitted a loss to the Panthers on Saturday night could put his side's top eight hopes in jeopardy.

"It's a home game, we need to stay in touch," Henry said.

"We have to maintain our superior for and against because in the run to the finals it may decide a few places in the top eight."

Brisbane's health appears more vital than their run home, though they do face trips to Wollongong to face St George Illawarra and Canberra.

Melbourne's loss to the Eels cost them a chance to strengthen their grip on a top four spot, with fifth-placed Newcastle just one point behind.

Both sides have four games against other top eight sides, which could make their round 23 clash at EnergyAustralia Stadium pivotal.

The Bulldogs look set to push St George Illawarra all the way in the battle for the minor premiership, the Bulldogs with the easiest run home with just one game against a top eight side compared to two for the Dragons.

Gold Coast have just two games against side's currently in the finals cut-off, leaving them in a good position to secure their first playoff berth.

The way i see it, an easy run home is only an easy run in hindsight. You do the business when it counts and it's looks easy in the aftermath.

It's going to be a very interesting jostle for teams to make the 8\. If the Tigers can knock over Canberra, that will probably put the Raiders out of commission for the season and also give the Tigers some real confidence heading into the Manly game, particularly if Galloway is fit for that match. Heighno is due back in round 23 so he'll strengthen the forward pack some more too.

Gee. I'm so glad our coach isn't taking a finals spot for granted. :laughing:

I'd love to see us making the finals but with our record I reckon we're no chance.

I hope I'm wrong.

the manly game is a must win game seems we are both competiting for a top 8 spot

Ummm have i missed something but it is easy about winning the amount of games we need to? haha

The comp has been so even this year almost every game has the possibility to go either way…

Beating manly is as good as a 4 point win... it's a must!

we should be the last team saying the words "easy run home" when we have won only 7 games this year

Hope we make it, but like we all said at the time - that runs of 1 and 2 point losses would hurt at the end of the season. Lets keep the roll going against the Raiders and see from there.

i hope we make the final;s and if we do it will be thanks to sheens i hope we resign him soon i bet newcastle will sign him and he'll probably take robbie and benji with him i would hate that so mcuh grrrr

[www.weststigers.com.au](http://www.weststigers.com.au)
**STILL ONE WIN AT A TIME FOR SHEENS**
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Wests Tigers Coach Tim Sheens is still focused on just one win at a time as his team fights to stay in the hunt for a finals berth.

Sheens knows there are no easy matches in the NRL and a teams position on the ladder doesn't mean they are any less dangerous.

Sheens also discusses the citing of Robbie Farah from Sunday's match at Leichhardt Oval.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Tigers/194801

Here we go….one win at a time....Genius Tim....

Interesting interview with Tim...all the same

@Geo. said:
http://www.weststigers.com.au
**STILL ONE WIN AT A TIME FOR SHEENS**
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Wests Tigers Coach Tim Sheens is still focused on just one win at a time as his team fights to stay in the hunt for a finals berth.

Sheens knows there are no easy matches in the NRL and a teams position on the ladder doesn't mean they are any less dangerous.

Sheens also discusses the citing of Robbie Farah from Sunday's match at Leichhardt Oval.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Tigers/194801

Here we go….one win at a time....Genius Tim....

Interesting interview with Tim...all the same

Shock horror: coach who has made finals ONCE in THIRTEEN years taking it one game at a time. :unamused:

If you liked that…..you will love this...
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/sheens-calls-for-focus-74428

Sheens calls for focus
22/07/2009 10:31 AM
Veteran Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens has implored his players to stay in the moment as they look to claw their way into the NRL finals for the first time in four seasons.
>
The Tigers, who stormed into the top eight from an equally improbable position on the way to premiership glory in 2005, remain an outside chance of a playoff berth on the back of consecutive victories.
>
They currently occupy 11th spot on the ladder, four points adrift of eighth spot with seven rounds remaining.
>
And with four of their next five matches against sides currently outside the eight, starting with Canberra on Sunday, the Tigers have a relatively easy run home - but Sheens is not convinced.
>
"The biggest mistake you make is saying 'oh yeah they're behind us they're not in the top four, therefore that should be two points for us'," he said.
>
"In fact those games are the hardest games because most sides at the moment still give themselves a chance (of making the finals) and so they're desperate."
>
"You saw it with Parramatta (on Monday) night, you saw it in Souths and you're seeing it in us."
>
"There's actually more urgency from those teams than there is from those teams that are comfortably in first, second or third spot."
>
Boom English back-rower Gareth Ellis, who has been among the Tigers' best in his first NRL campaign, says the gravity of the situation is not lost on the players.
>
"For us now there's no second chances, we've used all those up in the mid part of the year," he said.
>
"Every game's a bit of a grand final for us, we need to win to stay in touch with that seventh and eighth spot."
>
"It's going to be difficult, we know that, but that's the challenge we've set for ourselves."
>
Asked to account for the Tigers' form reversal which has seen them trounce the Rabbitohs and Cowboys to revive their fading campaign, Ellis argued the side wasn't far off the pace even when they were losing.
>
"If you look back to the games when we were losing by one point and two points there wasn't much in it," he said.
>
"We weren't playing particularly bad football and we just weren't getting the two (competition) points."
>
"At the end of the day that's the tightness of the competition, you can't afford to slip up at any stage otherwise it comes back to bight you and that's what's happened to us. And now we're really sort of chasing the results now."

how about wests-tigers just concentrate on whats in front of them.
play well and beat the raiders.
then and only then look to prepare for the manly game.
:imp:

I honestly think we can handle Manly, it's Canberra this weekend that is going to be tough.

EVERY WEEK A MUST WIN SAYS FARAH
Friday, July 24, 2009
Wests Tigers Captain Robbie Farah says every week is a must win for Wests Tigers as they prepare to take on the Raiders this Sunday in Canberra.

Robbie also spoke about the battle between the two forward packs and playing against good friend Bronson Harrison.

WATCH ROBBIE FARAH NOW ON WTV

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Tigers/195331

Back