Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Agreed. Brooks has looked better moving to the six but he's not worth the big money to justify playing "well" as opposed to what you'd expect from a player earning marquee money.

Let him go, re-sign Madden as we lose nothing between him and Brooks playing outside Duke and it'll be cheaper and free up a spot to chase Burton and put him in the centres with either To'a or Naden.
I’m not against letting Brooks go but I have a couple of issues.

1. Brooks is still better than Madden, so we potentially weaken one spot to strengthen another.

2. Who do we sign? We are already struggling to find players to spend the money we have so having another $500k+ (depending on release deal) is useless when there’s no one on the market.

I don’t see us being stronger next year without Brooks unless someone can walk from a contract. 2024 is obviously different. There will be a few options available and worst case Brooks takes a haircut to stay.

Brooks is a decent half not a mil a year guy atm but better than anything available. If you play in a losing side for all those years it does things to your confidence. You can’t play first receiver without any attacking options and be successful it’s very difficult
I watched the relief on his face when Hastings started performing the other day and can see his confidence coming back slowly. The team is starting to look like one that can win some games and add a couple of genuine talents next year can very competitive.
Also no point replacing him with someone who won’t hold the defence together on that edge and let in two more tries a game. Focus less on him and more on where we are headed which finally despite the mixed results is starting to look better

I'm as critical as anyone of Nofo's defensive issues, but having said that Junior Tupou misses at least 1 tackle that leads to a try last night that Noffo makes easily.

Happy to see Junior play his 2nd game in the top grade and think he has a lot of potential but if fit Nofo still walks into the team despite his defensive issues until we have better.
Absolutely Junior Tupou is currently a defensive liability. But he's only a kid and should improve, so we are going to have pain for the gain.

Probably wouldn't be a bad move.

Ben Gardiner is moving on next year as far as I am aware, so we are probably looking at someone as an attack coach for next season at least.

A lot of people think Trent is shit as a head coach so your reference to him as a number 2 is quite appropriate.
Where did the Ben Gardiner moving on come from ? I know some of his family and they say it’s news to them , i would be interested in the source to this

Absolutely Junior Tupou is currently a defensive liability. But he's only a kid and should improve, so we are going to have pain for the gai
I’m not against letting Brooks go but I have a couple of issues.

1. Brooks is still better than Madden, so we potentially weaken one spot to strengthen another.

2. Who do we sign? We are already struggling to find players to spend the money we have so having another $500k+ (depending on release deal) is useless when there’s no one on the market.

I don’t see us being stronger next year without Brooks unless someone can walk from a contract. 2024 is obviously different. There will be a few options available and worst case Brooks takes a haircut to stay.

Madden I think is not far off Brooks and would cost half as much. Plus, he’s not a pussy and takes on the line. And, when has Brooks ever chipped and chased for himself? Cue the cricket noises…..

Probably wouldn't be a bad move.

Ben Gardiner is moving on next year as far as I am aware, so we are probably looking at someone as an attack coach for next season at least.

A lot of people think Trent is shit as a head coach so your reference to him as a number 2 is quite appropriate.
Where did you get this from? Can't find anything about him leaving next year.

Agreed. Brooks has looked better moving to the six but he's not worth the big money to justify playing "well" as opposed to what you'd expect from a player earning marquee money.

Let him go, re-sign Madden as we lose nothing between him and Brooks playing outside Duke and it'll be cheaper and free up a spot to chase Burton and put him in the centres with either To'a or Naden.

As simple as it is to write, it Just doesn’t work like that…
Let’s use round figures….

If Brooks is on 1 mil next year, and it costs us 500k to keep Madden and 500k to sell Brooks… we’re in exactly the same position, with a player that’s not as good as Brooks.

Not only that, by selling Brooks - we’re making someone else’s cap better. That can mean the difference between 1-2 players - or 8th / 9th on the Ladder.

If the split was 70-30 on Brooks wage you might entertain it… but by “needing” to sell him it won’t be!!
With the lack of halves and what shitty ones are getting paid - Madden is getting paid next year, with us or someone else…

He’s not signing under 500 next year.

I'm as critical as anyone of Nofo's defensive issues, but having said that Junior Tupou misses at least 1 tackle that leads to a try last night that Noffo makes easily.

Happy to see Junior play his 2nd game in the top grade and think he has a lot of potential but if fit Nofo still walks into the team despite his defensive issues until we have better.

Oh I agree Tupou has defensive issues that need to be worked out if he’s going be to a regular 1st grader. Not to mention he’s played 2 games and has switched over from union to league.

Problem is Nofa has played 170 games and still makes the same brain dead decisions in defence and has never taken responsibility for it. It’s always someone else’s fault. He’s not fast, not an aerial threat, doesn’t contest kicks and is good for at least one try scored on his wing.

Madden is getting paid next year, with us or someone else…

Yep. He also wants the 7 jersey somewhere for an extended period of time. He needs it as well. He is basically ready.

We have to pick our halves and pay them accordingly. Madden isn't going to be a cheap option anymore unless every club is stupid.

Problem is Nofa has played 170 games and still makes the same brain dead decisions in defence and has never taken responsibility for it. It’s always someone else’s fault. He’s not fast, not an aerial threat, doesn’t contest kicks and is good for at least one try scored on his wing.

Nofo is still a heaps better player than Tupou right now. So is big Ken. Just let him go back to reserves and work on his game.

He'll get his chances again. There has been plenty to like about the kid.

Yep. He also wants the 7 jersey somewhere for an extended period of time. He needs it as well. He is basically ready.

We have to pick our halves and pay them accordingly. Madden isn't going to be a cheap option anymore unless every club is stupid.
There’s no halves - and a few teams already missing one, without the new team coming….

Everyone thinks we sell Brooks of and sign Madden for 1000 years at minimum wage - it ain’t happening

There’s no halves - and a few teams already missing one, without the new team coming….

Everyone thinks we sell Brooks of and sign Madden for 1000 years at minimum wage - it ain’t happening

I'm pretty confident you are correct. Their salaries now are basically completely irrelevant. It's the role you give them, the coach and culture of the team plus and most importantly the money they earn on their next contract.

Madden, Brooks, AD and Hastings are all good players. They are all capable of playing a key role in a lot of NRL teams.

I can't believe they aren't on the radar of heaps of other teams. The Dophins in my opinion would be nuts not to go hard after Madden.

To me the question is do we just keep 2 out of the 4 of them ? If that is the decision where do we play Doueihi or Brooks because Hastings to me gets the 7.

I would love Burton - as a centre.

I'd love him as a 6. I think he has to play in the halves. He has one of the best kicking games in the comp, he can ball play plus he can make a bust and support players up the middle.

If I was playing fantasy footy it's between Burton and AD. I think Burton might be better. I think I'd rather move AD to centre than Burton if we had them both.

Back