Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Our good mate Geo posted this back in 2015 about TPAs - don't know if it is still the same.

"Clubs can offer TPA's from Club affiliated sponsors up to an amount (currently 600k I beleive) on top of the salary cap...this can also be cars boats etc and can be spread to anyone in the playing group..."

That’s club affiliated sponsors.
I know players get “private” additional sponsor deals from organizations/privates not directly affiliated with the club.

Tin cans buried in the garden.
Someone I know said there was an cyber attack on ATM networks and to keep some cash on me I hardly use cash these days but it's still king I guess

He works in Australia Cyber security and part of a team updating the Australian government cyber security and said Australia is way way behind alot of countries image if the ATMs and credit cards did not work for aweek it would be crazy

I know players get “private” additional sponsor deals from organizations/privates not directly affiliated with the club.
My understanding is any player can receive a third party payment from a company up to any amount providing said company isn’t a direct affiliate of the club.

This is where the big clubs with strong corporate partners have a HUGE advantage. For example the Roosters and Uncle Nicks business partners, South’s and Packer/Crowe/Cannon-Brookes and the new partnership between the Bulldogs and Laundy Hotels.

All of these very well connected owners and major sponsors can arrange TPA’s from their wide network of business partners because those third party businesses aren’t direct sponsors of the club.

Guess again.
You cannot ignore the lengths they go to to develop the supporting cast that play alongside the stars. Some of them have broken out as outright stars themselves. (Manu, Collins, Radley) but they are all given the same opportunity. Sure someone like Suali probably was not developed at the Roosters as with Tedesco and Keary.
But the Butcher brothers, Tupou, Hargreaves, SST, Collins, Latrell and more started as teenagers with the club.
Hargreaves from manly, had a fallout with bozo, hence Hargreaves ripping into bozos grandson

Someone I know said there was an cyber attack on ATM networks and to keep some cash on me I hardly use cash these days but it's still king I guess

He works in Australia Cyber security and part of a team updating the Australian government cyber security and said Australia is way way behind alot of countries image if the ATMs and credit cards did not work for aweek it would be crazy

Correct.

My understanding is any player can receive a third party payment from a company up to any amount providing said company isn’t a direct affiliate of the club.

This is where the big clubs with strong corporate partners have a HUGE advantage. For example the Roosters and Uncle Nicks business partners, South’s and Packer/Crowe/Cannon-Brookes and the new partnership between the Bulldogs and Laundy Hotels.

All of these very well connected owners and major sponsors can arrange TPA’s from their wide network of business partners because those third party businesses aren’t direct sponsors of the club.

I know someone very high up at the Storm and 100% they use business connections to get alot of additional $$ to players outside the cap. He knows how to manage $$$ around books better than anyone.

It’s very much who you know.

Let’s hope Lee being connected pays off for us finally. We do actually have alot of wealth within our fans but those that have wealth don’t often associate to weakness/heart investments.

Reactions: 851
Outgoing from 2022 squad
Leulua ,Mikhalae ,Garner , Tuilagi , Madden , Liddle , Nu brown, Roberts
Tamou ,
Reggies level unsuccessfully tried in NRL
Dias , Freebairn ,
I'm hoping Pole and Matamua can develop eventually into top grade regulars
It will take time
Definite incoming Korisau ! Not convinced Papalli coming
So the squad that finished last loses 9 and 2 more not cutting it and we are gaining 1 maybe 2
So we start with spoon and are down about 10 so unless some Tim magic brings in a few stars we will be in a string of spoons .

Outgoing from 2022 squad
Leulua ,Mikhalae ,Garner , Tuilagi , Madden , Liddle , Nu brown, Roberts
Tamou ,
Reggies level unsuccessfully tried in NRL
Dias , Freebairn ,
I'm hoping Pole and Matamua can develop eventually into top grade regulars
It will take time
Definite incoming Korisau ! Not convinced Papalli coming
So the squad that finished last loses 9 and 2 more not cutting it and we are gaining 1 maybe 2
So we start with spoon and are down about 10 so unless some Tim magic brings in a few stars we will be in a string of spoons .

Unfortunately that is very close to my assessment.

From 'The Mole'

Benji Marshall faces the first crucial test of his leadership and diplomacy skills in coming weeks.

Benji is keen to bring local junior Mitchell Moses back to the Tigers from Parramatta and sees him as the answer to the club's play-making problems.

But some senior officials at the Tigers don't want Moses back - he wasn't a good fit at the club in his first stint there and he isn't a popular figure with Tigers players.

Only a few weeks back, he took a blatant dive when barely touched by Tigers debutant Justin Matamua, who was promptly sent to the sin bin and placed on report … and subsequently cleared.

Benji must weigh-up the other aspects that go into signing a player besides ability - the great coaches mould teams built on harmony and comradeship as well as talent.

Moses, meanwhile, has put talks with the Eels on hold until after the club finishes its playing commitments, and there is a big chance he will head to the November 1 negotiations deadline day unsigned.

Dragons eye Tigers prop

The Dragons are keen to sign Tigers prop Zane Musgrove for next season.
Musgrove is on contract at Concord for two more years but the Tigers may let him go to the Big Red V if the two clubs can do a deal.

The Dragons are desperate for more size up front - they lost Daniel Alvaro to French club Toulouse mid-year and Tariq Sims (Melbourne) and Josh McGuire (Warrington) at the end of the season.

To date, they have yet to sign a player for 2023 and there are few big men on the market, hence their interest in Musgrove.

JWH was a pretty high profile (if young) signing, but the others were all picked up around 20yo or younger and debuted in FG with the roosters.
All you've mentioned have gone on to become rep players (bar Butcher).

How many promising 20 year olds have we signed only for them to fizzle out completely?

Yes they no doubt have some creative accounting going on, but their player development systems are excellent and there's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to the same.
I think we agree more than we disagree. Ther Rorters are coached well with out a doubt but I would say they just put the polish on the car built by hard work by some other club. Without that investment& coaching by the other clubs they pilfer off, there would be nothing to polish . Once again , it is a lot easier to get 5 good players when you have pilfered 100 from other clubs, , as opposed to the Tigers who try to get 5 good players out of say 10 we breed ourselves. Should we do the same ?Not on your life. We probably all have different definitions of winning . Buying premierships is not winning them . Even Rorters fans joke about their salary cap. I would rather have a team full of Tigers juniors playing competitively and who want to be here because they love the club.

Last edited:
From 'The Mole'

Benji Marshall faces the first crucial test of his leadership and diplomacy skills in coming weeks.

Benji is keen to bring local junior Mitchell Moses back to the Tigers from Parramatta and sees him as the answer to the club's play-making problems.

But some senior officials at the Tigers don't want Moses back - he wasn't a good fit at the club in his first stint there and he isn't a popular figure with Tigers players.

Only a few weeks back, he took a blatant dive when barely touched by Tigers debutant Justin Matamua, who was promptly sent to the sin bin and placed on report … and subsequently cleared.

Benji must weigh-up the other aspects that go into signing a player besides ability - the great coaches mould teams built on harmony and comradeship as well as talent.

Moses, meanwhile, has put talks with the Eels on hold until after the club finishes its playing commitments, and there is a big chance he will head to the November 1 negotiations deadline day unsigned.

Dragons eye Tigers prop

Musgrove is on contract at Concord for two more years but the Tigers may let him go to the Big Red V if the two clubs can do a deal.

The Dragons are desperate for more size up front - they lost Daniel Alvaro to French club Toulouse mid-year and Tariq Sims (Melbourne) and Josh McGuire (Warrington) at the end of the season.

To date, they have yet to sign a player for 2023 and there are few big men on the market, hence their interest in Musgrove.
No to Tanker - please take Musgrove.

yep thats right - i was replying to someone asking if a sponsor can provide a TPA. So they can provide limited TPAs - outside TPAs are unlimited and can't have any association with the club.

From 'The Mole'

Dragons eye Tigers prop

A big no to Moses (i hate tankers and cheats and he is both) but would be ok with Mus leaving as he is very inconsistent but the dragons have to take the full contract

Really hope Dragons take on Musgrove
Moses putting aside how he left is a massive upgrade to what we have & is just hitting his prime.
Would take him in an instant over spending $2m + on Hastings/Brooks/AD to stay.

So we have signed squat since Sheens and Benji took over the reigns while other clubs pick off who they want from the current squad.
Admirable to believe you can change things but foolish to think you can pull off what others have failed to do by aiming for the stars while letting other clubs pick the eyes out of what we do have. They need to land a few soon.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back