Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I dont understand why players get angry when they are linked to us. I'm thinking back to when we approached Moylan. God knows we can handle rejection. There's no need to be narky about it.
I assume RTS was gracious in his refusal of the offer.
You do realise he was directly talking about re-joining the Roosters, right?

You here Penrith players being interviewed last night and saying their pre season was heavily based around their defence

And we hear that Sheens ...Marshall ....Farah.....Furner are going to base our season around attack

And people can't understand the negativity already .....who's right ....Sheenius or Iv .....I wonder ???
Well if you balance those two factors against the season we had the most recent ‘success’
In 2018 we scored the least points each year other than this year and also conceded the least.
Last year was lost by not having sound enough defence.
We scored enough points to make the top 8.
Let’s just hope if we plan on throwing the ball around we also drop it closer to the start of the season as opposed to the back end of it so we can get plenty of practice using our shoulders.

I would suggest that of all the successful teams in the last 25 Year - The only ones to win the comp that didn't were the Wests Tigers...
Flanked by not making the 8 for the 5 years before, Or the 4 years following and almost the worst for and against in the comp...
Even when we were top 4, It wasn't uncommon for us to get lapped a few times a season.
Now we've given a bloke 10 years to stew over the game plans he couldn't get to work last time...

Ah well, Fingers crossed.
In fairness, the second half of our season in 2005 was actually built on the back of our defence. From round one we would score enough points to beat / match sides but it was the change of attitude in defence that got us the title.

Since Sheens took over we’ve gone from 13th to 4 points behind every other club. We’ve also signed no one and the 2 incoming marquee signings have either refused to commit until being forced to or made jokes about the club.

Sheens needs to land a name player or we will continue to be the joke of the league.

Watched a few ESL games and Bateman looks a shadow of his former self. Admittedly, I don’t follow as closely as some.

He’s 29 now. I think the Raiders got the best years out of him, but on a low-value contract, he could fill a gap for a year or two. The trouble is, I think he wants big coin. Wasn’t he after $800k when he left the Raiders?

I guess we’ll get to see him put some games together at the World Cup.
If the Tigers are after Bateman it can only be purely on past history and reputation in the NRL. Because, as I've said, anyone who has watched half a dozen of his games knows he's a shadow of his former self. My best guess is he never recovered from that shoulder surgery during his final season at Canberra. Because ever since he's constantly being outwrestled by guys he would never lose out to. Worth comparing him with Whitehead at Canberra (who is two years older, I think). Elliot has lost that bit of explosivity in his game which made him a real handful. But that's an age-related issue. He still performs at a high level and what he loses in athleticism he gains in experience. Canberra wouldn't pay him top money. But he's definitely good value on a sensible contract. With Bateman any significant contract would be dead money because - unlike Whitehead who is old, but fit and fully capable - Jon is clearly playing at 75% or less - not through age but chronic injury.

Since Sheens took over we’ve gone from 13th to 4 points behind every other club. We’ve also signed no one and the 2 incoming marquee signings have either refused to commit until being forced to or made jokes about the club.

Sheens needs to land a name player or we will continue to be the joke of the league.
We’ve been linked to every big name player on and off the market.

Angus Chrichton
David Klemmer
Cameron Munster
Mitchell Moses
James Tedesco

The grand final was only on Sunday and the players all go and carry on in Bali for a week or two.

They are trying to land someone…it’s obvious the chequebook is open and they want a big name player, but you can’t force them to come.

We have some handy players coming back from injury in Stefano, Blore, Talau and Twal. Talau is a wild card as is Kautoga.

Pole will be better for the experience too.

The Dolphins only have 22 players signed from what I can find online. There’s plenty of movement to happen yet.

But agree…we are a couple of high profile players away from being a top 8 side.

Last edited:
NRL360 mail was Bateman and Klemmer to tigers, Sheens off to UK and will meet with Bateman shortly. Also the panel still believe Brooks is off to Newcastle. (He will need to go make room for Munster !).
The thing I am most pleased with if this is true is that they have identified a style that they want to play with & are trying to recruit players that fit that style

Yep I think there will be some movement in the off-season especially with Canterbury. I’m pretty sure they’re over the cap so will have to shed.

Also, is it just me or is Reed Mahoney overrated. Geez he is lame. I feel he gets attention because of his white headgear. Like who wears that beside him and Jarrod Croker.

Kikau is a good signing. Would love it if they cant actually afford him and we swoop in and get him.
Yea i agree on Mahoney - he is a solid first grader but not the superstar he is hyped up to be. Throws more forward passes than any other DH in the comp and his defence is a bit suss if you can get him one on one.

I spoke with someone at Canterbury in the last week said Thompson is cooked so just perfect for the Tigers to many head knocks or medical retirement
Yea i can see Gus using his influence to get a few medical retirements to clear the decks if they can't offload anyone.

Reactions: 851
In fairness, the second half of our season in 2005 was actually built on the back of our defence. From round one we would score enough points to beat / match sides but it was the change of attitude in defence that got us the title.

Our scramble defence was the best I've ever seen that year. We just didn't give up.

What's stopping us from throwing an offer to Kikau?
Signed contract but not registered with the NRL because the dogs are trying to clear some space in the cap.

Back