Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Reactions: 851
That is the problem. There is no one putting pressure on our halves which means one of 2 things - either inadequate hales in the backup or no potential halves to pressure....Will Smith is not a halves solution and that is the problem when i look at our recruitment . Not to say we are the only ones either. Across the board apart from Dragon's, Roosters, South's, Canberra and Bronco's there seems to be a lack depth of backup halves.
I will always stand corrected but this is a massive weakness in our depth both in NRL and NSWRL.
Halleluiah Someone else agrees with me on the Will Smith signing being bad (most people thought it was a good signing here??)

Ill also add the Cowboys above. With Jonathan Thurston around and 2x good quality halves + reserve grade they are in a good position.

We have Benji and Sheens. Halfback is a Million dollar position and kids will be trying their luck. Our scouts will pick up someone, the hard part is getting the high quality players before roosters/storm/etc.

So I ask, what's the point of having Benji as a coach if he cannot attract and develop halves?

Halleluiah Someone else agrees with me on the Will Smith signing being bad (most people thought it was a good signing here??)

Ill also add the Cowboys above. With Jonathan Thurston around and 2x good quality halves + reserve grade they are in a good position.

We have Benji and Sheens. Halfback is a Million dollar position and kids will be trying their luck. Our scouts will pick up someone, the hard part is getting the high quality players before roosters/storm/etc.

So I ask, what's the point of having Benji as a coach if he cannot attract and develop halves?
I agree and disagree, Firstly I disagree because our halves have been playing behind deadwood for years now so can't show what they're able to do on the front foot.
I agree though that although Brooks has been playing behind a weak pack I expect more from someone who has played 10 years of first grade, in saying that he's our only halfback so we have noone to compare his performances to behind our pack.
We have moved mountains to build a competitive aggressive pack for next year, he has no more excuses if he can't perform once the team starts to gel say 8 rounds in then he's got to go.

what can we do - not sign old hacks on long term deals,its only 360 garbage at the moment,no need 4 knickers in a knot yet
Having deciphered your message Merlot, I think you misunderstand me. I'm actually saying, what choice do we have? Sit pat and get no one or look in other places and roll the dice. It could be a big win or it could be more cash down the gurgler. No knickers in a not........yet!

I agree and disagree, Firstly I disagree because our halves have been playing behind deadwood for years now so can't show what they're able to do on the front foot.
I agree though that although Brooks has been playing behind a weak pack I expect more from someone who has played 10 years of first grade, in saying that he's our only halfback so we have noone to compare his performances to behind our pack.
We have moved mountains to build a competitive aggressive pack for next year, he has no more excuses if he can't perform once the team starts to gel say 8 rounds in then he's got to go.
Yep, I believe that is what the entire forum has been saying for the last 10 years.

Actually a strange one, Brooks best year was under Ivan Cleary. A time where our forward pack wasn't dominant, we were better a year or two before with Taupau and co. From memory Robbie Roccow was running a lot of interference in the opposing teams play the ball and that may have been beneficial to us.

My point is different. Benji + Sheens have to demonstrate that they can pick and coach halves. I expect extreme attacking flair:
structure?
defence?

They are the big questions and Sheens better be able to deliver in spades.

I hear what you’re saying but a 4 year deal for a guy who has shoulder issues & didn’t exactly set the super league on fire when he returned isn’t exactly smart. He’s sort of had a habit for breaking contracts recently as well. Happy to be proven wrong !!
Bateman is an international, aggressive on-field and a competitor. I am pleased the club has signed him and believe he will be a good buy for WTs. His experience will be excellent for our young players including how to prepare for an NRL game. I cannot see a downside in his signing.

Last edited:
Will smith is on a train and trial. I hardly even count it as a signing.

I agree. We could do with another half. But we do have brooks, doueigh and Laurie. I would be biding our time and trying to lock in a top shelf one, like Sheens and benji are trying to do.

Until then, we play the cheap, diamond in the rough game. Like Nu Brown last year.

Bateman is an international, aggressive on-field and a competitor. I am pleased the club has signed him and believe he will be a good buy for WTs. His experience will be excellent for our young players including how to prepare for an NRL game. I cannot see a downside in his signing.
I agree. He's also a Brit, a 4 year deal is not an issue when you can negotiate a move back.

Yes I have met him - a couple of times.

Was extremely charming and polite.

I’ve met countless narcissists who are the same though.

The true colors come out when you disagree with them.

Exactly what happened when Lee said he wouldn’t listen to people who don’t invest money in the club.

Donald Trump clone - without the commercial negotiation skills.

Wish him all the best though but we’re second rate with him and Justin at the helm… proofs in the pudding.

On the narcissist front - he drives a black Ferrari to the training session - the day he sacks Madge.

Players, football department staff, media all take note of this. They would prefer a billionaire who drives a normal car to work - read the room.
Do you know about his house and how he bought all the houses around him and knocked them down because he did not want neighbours to close to him

Don’t get me wrong i’m stoked we signed him, I just think 4 years is too long.

Did I miss the announcement on Bateman as I have not seen anything official ?

I hope its correct as would love him in our team but does that also mean we have missed Moses

Smith wasn’t brought in as a halves option he was brought in to replace the hole that peachy and nu brown left with out being in the top 30 and he adds experience to the nsw cup team some people on this forum can’t see a positive side to anything

I agree. He's also a Brit, a 4 year deal is not an issue when you can negotiate a move back.
This guy will teach our boys to stop feeling sorry for themselves. His imput at training will be huge.

We have a few signatures so hopefully he will be the glue that gels them into wanting to win for us.......even if he's bludging a little before he also gets behind it.

Can only imagine him getting Brooks to radiate a bit of confidence.

This reminds me a bit of when the Maggies many moons ago signed Ted Goodwin. He was washed up but had class and was a winner with total aggression and after the club lost about seven gun players he helped mold a new squad to 3rd place......and what should have beem a premiership his two suspensions toward the end of the season into the finals cost us, but we would've got nowhere near finals without him.

From last we are all entertaining thoughts of finals footy.....and it's him so it's a risk worth taking.

And I'm sensing the club is using his signature to attract others.

I'm actually looking forward to next year.

Last edited:
That’s not good, not good at all mate. An attitude like that can reverberate throughout the entire club.
A man driving a Ferrari tells you he’s not listening to people who don’t invest money in the club?
I wonder how ingrained that attitude is?
There was a period in 22 when Sheens espoused the same view at a presser when deflecting criticism about the club heading for the spoon. He was only interested in talking to members.
But I thought that rhetoric had changed toward the end of the year?
One of the things which stands out like inflatable beach balls is our constant lack of leadership in the players and often wonder what’s driving this?
Players like Tamou a gf captain but found it difficult. Other players who show leadership are needing to move on...?
I’ve got nothing against Ferrari but Kia is the NRL preferred car.
What’s he drive every other day?

Mate it’s the off season - everyone’s delusional

1. Players look huge at pre season training
2. We have a better squad than last year
3. Our players are one year older and will be better this season
4. It’s the fittest and best off season the players have ever had
5. Have faith on the coaching and football department they know what they’re doing
6. Our three 35 yr old recruits just need a good preseason under their belt
7. Justin and Lee are doing are better job this year bc they’re (staying out of it, more involved, have better people around them etc etc)

No finals.

Repeat.

No finals.

Repeat.

No finals.

Repeat.

Back