Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Or the lower club makes a binding offer that another club needs to match. That might stop this “I’m taking a pay cut to win a comp” rubbish…

My view is if a player opens himself up to entering the open market then highest offer wins.

If a players enters the market with conditions like xyz clubs then I’m fine with that because the intent was declared from the outset.

Would make it for a very interesting sell period in which the NRL could market it and in this scenario don’t see how players wouldn’t win cash wise.

If it is permitted by the NRL administration then it’s not rorting really.
NRL is a public company, generating profit. It produces entertainment and is like any other tv show. The integrity of the competition itself is essentially for PR, and only bears relevance in regards to how it contributes to achieving said profit and entertainment goals.

Look around, there is no whistleblowing, which can only mean everyone is in on it, duly playing their part in the show.
Once upon a time I was young and naive enough to believe WWE was real too.
Great post. I’ve said it on here before that the Players Association represents the players only. Not the NRL. Not the Salary Cap auditor. The Players Association wants the players to earn as much money as possible. They don’t care if it is legally inside the salary cap or illegally outside the salary cap. The Players Association will never agree to a change in the structure or policing of the salary cap that removes the need for illegal payments by clubs to players outside the salary cap. When you have the Players Association taking this position and the NRL not looking very hard to ensure another salary cap scandal is avoided there is limited hope for parity in the game. Unfortunately it’s the fan who cares more about things than the players and administrators.

Jai Arrow is off contract come 2024...

Had the choice between us or Rabbits and chose them JUST..

I'd be looking at him and unfortuantley offloading Twal.

People suggesting James - how much have you seen of him ?

I've seen a handful of games and only 1 was impressive.

Reminds me a bit of Mavoni Tuifua.
Looks the part but has about 5 minutes worth of cardio.

Can't see him doing much at first grade level until he addresses his fitness.
Better than Stef imo

He might want to go there because Souths has such a strong indigenous links and he'd have a lot of buds there. Personally, I think he'd be nuts to turn Canberra down. But we sure won;t be coming to the Tiges.
I call BS on Souths' claim to special indigenous links. It would seem Souths claim strong indigenous links because the club started in Redfern, despite the fact that Redfern is now hugely gentrified, the indigenous communities there have been significantly reduced and Souths don't play in the region any more.

Balmain for example have always had a rich indigenous history, the original landing place of such prominent players like Larry Corowa and Artie Beetson. Then in my young days a continuous run of guys like Percy Knight, Scott Gale, Paul Davis, Will and Clint Robinson, Bubba Kennedy; Wests similarly had Ewen McGrady and Leo Dynevor that I can remember from that time.

Balmain were also arguably pioneers of promoting Pasifika players with Olsen Filipaina.

Not really, the N.R.L could very easily say you've been offered 1 mil by Canberra so that's your market value, so for South's to sign you that's what it'll take.
They can't do it, it's a restraint of trade. Not only would the RLPA block it, it would be challenged in court anyway.

Imagine you were a GP and wanted to take a role in a local suburb, but the Royal College of Physicians said "no you have to be the GP in Bongo Bongo because they offered you more money".

Also, if such a rule was implemented, it would create excessive bidding wars because the highest bidder would always win - you could out-bid any club that lacked the salary cap space, so for example Warriors could compel players to move to New Zealand by out-bidding Australian clubs.

Back