Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

What a bastard of a club though. Offer him a 2 year extension to keep a hold on him even though they know they can't get it ratified by NRL. Then go about getting all their ducks in a row to make big play for Munster and Cobbo. If they are a seroius chance of getting them AC.s extension will be off the table quicker than he can find a pen to sign it.
I agree, but surely players must understand this is what they get with the Roosters? Roosters appear to be very loyal and will definitely take care of you, but it's on their own terms, and those terms may include putting you out to a well-paid pasture when a shiny new toy comes to market.

Also Roosters might talk big about bringing kids into their system and "up-skilling" them once they arrive, but it must be clear to everyone that this consists almost entirely of paying for the boom players from anywhere.

It's not even that Roosters find these kids at 15 or 16 and bring them in, which can reasonably be claimed to be a significant investment in a middle-juniors program (which is what they did with Manu and Latrell). No they barely bother with that any more, they wait for the boom to hit, then swoop. E.g. JWH after Manly identified him, Tedesco after being established at Tigers, Sam Walker stolen from Broncos, Crichton and Suaalii stolen from Souths, Cheese from Melbourne etc. etc. Almost anyone prominently decent were purchased at their prime, not carefully developed since early teens.

You can be angry about it, and it does annoy me, but it's obviously a strategy that also works. They take the lowest possible risks with outlaying for young footballers, and become a desirable destination for having a high-quality roster with lucrative / long-term pay and support options.

I personally think it's soul-less and dislike that club immensely, and it's a far far cry from what the old Easts Roosters were when my Grandma supported them as a kid from Paddington, even in the 1980s. Maybe, however, it's the way many clubs are going, and it perhaps raises an argument for the NRL taking central control of all junior funding.

Last edited:
I understand the enthusiasm to get Crichton but not at the expense of upset in the dressing shed because he is getting more $ than a more highly performed player in the same pos. He should want to come to WTs because we are WTs and play positive, attacking football with a strong defence. This is just my opinion.
75-100k more is hardly that big a margin.

Look at Tino at gold coast. Getting 700/750k while fifita gets 1.2 million.

That is a balls up in regards to morale.

Pap is playing better than Chrichton now. Over the career though Crighton would take the win because he was more consistent. Pap was ordinary as at the Warriors.

I just think 700k is worth it. Nothing more though.

So we have multiple people say he's been offered a deal and a couple of people who say he hasn't. It's not easy to to know which is gospel.

I doubt any formal deal has been offered, it would be more conversational with intent.
Would think this will take a few months with SOO around the corner then finals.
Angus won't have any issues finding a club so he doesn't need to rush into a decision.

Pap is playing better than Chrichton now. Over the career though Crighton would take the win because he was more consistent. Pap was ordinary as at the Warriors.

I remember being told about how inequities in contract $ can undermine morale in the sheds. I'm glad we don't have to make the decision.

Burton is at a cross roads....

If he leaves the Dogs - he would be going back to Penrith to play centre.

Or to another club.... to probably play centre.
I think Storm have their Munster answer by Nov 1 and use his money for a direct swap with Burton to play 6. Would be a superstar there.

See I like they keep stuff internally but I think that's bullocks.

Roosters paid 800k for Crighton to come to the Roosters in the first place. If we are offering 700k for a 26 year old state of origin rep then it is sound business to me. If they lose out to another club because they won't give that 100k more then not sure what they are doing. I understand not to overpay players but he is worth around the 700k for what hel bring.
Well it's fair to say that "what he's worth" is subjective. And you might be talking about something like $100K p.a. over a 3-4 year deal, if the player is looking for long-term security.

The thing with these $100Ks is they add up super fast. 1 x $100K boost to one player is the same as 1 x Top-30 minimum wage. 2 x $100Ks and you have a boom junior. 3 x $100Ks and you have a legitimate first-grader.

I'm always mindful of not assuming to spend someone else's one hundred thousand dollars.

I understand the enthusiasm to get Crichton but not at the expense of upset in the dressing shed because he is getting more $ than a more highly performed player in the same pos. He should want to come to WTs because we are WTs and play positive, attacking football with a strong defence. This is just my opinion.

It's easy to say he should want to come because we are the WTs but cmon lets be real - why would anyone leave a successful club to come to us unless it was because of cash or opportunity?

Even the roosters offer is lower but it isn't chump change.

Only way that works is if a player supports us & really wants a challenge to turn a club around, or we throw cash & court a player or it's because like Naden they want to play NRL in a certain position but can't in their current club and will with us because we lack players in that position.

Results wise we are on the decline the last few seasons, we don't have an identity and over the last 10 rounds our model has changed. Rounds 1-5 we played vastly different to rounds 6-10.

We have to court him plane and simple, and our only chip that will result in anything is Madge & cash.

One day I hope our results change and we become a destination club but the only way results will change is recruiting the right quality and experienced players mixed with a clear pathways strategy for the best young talent around.

But we have to spend the vast majority of the cap so we either sign some marquee players along the way or we pay overs for many periphery players

There is a way around this. I also think this is what they do in the NBA. You basically pay out a bonus to all the players on your team.

I like this idea because it doesn't impact your cap longer term.

Burton should go to Storm as he will be on money than Munster and can play 5/8.

Still need one prop and one second rower to compliment our squad for 2023

I doubt any formal deal has been offered, it would be more conversational with intent.
Would think this will take a few months with SOO around the corner then finals.
Angus won't have any issues finding a club so he doesn't need to rush into a decision.
True but Clubs don't like to wait either and put there eggs in a few baskets. Good player or not if a team doesn't have space in Thier cap because you waited too long.. Dolphins will have space. Plenty of it by the way their recruitment is going haha

It's easy to say he should want to come because we are the WTs but cmon lets be real - why would anyone leave a successful club to come to us unless it was because of cash or opportunity?

Even the roosters offer is lower but it isn't chump change.

Only way that works is if a player supports us & really wants a challenge to turn a club around, or we throw cash & court a player or it's because like Naden they want to play NRL in a certain position but can't in their current club and will with us because we lack players in that position.

Results wise we are on the decline the last few seasons, we don't have an identity and over the last 10 rounds our model has changed. Rounds 1-5 we played vastly different to rounds 6-10.

We have to court him plane and simple, and our only chip that will result in anything is Madge & cash.

One day I hope our results change and we become a destination club but the only way results will change is recruiting the right quality and experienced players mixed with a clear pathways strategy for the best young talent around.
Exactly. We will change. Get our junior pathways going, got our COE nearly complete. Couple of stra recruits next year. Adding Crichton and another rep would just add that perception that we aren't a destination club. At the moment other clubs think we are a joke which to be honest for the last 10 years they aren't off the mark.

We need a couple of big recruits on top of API and pap. 4 rep recruits with Stefano,Twal, Musgrove, Offa, Douhie and Hastings and you have the makings of a 6-10 placed side.

Exactly.

The argument that 100k extra can be the very thing that throws your cap out of whack when it represents 1% of the total cap and less than a third of the mean wage across the top 30, is hyperbole, built on a history of greater, and more numerous salary cap mismanagement decisions.

If I earned 600k a year I wouldn't give a crap if another bloke made 700k unless he was taking the piss. Crichton won't though.
What about if a player recruited in the same position is an international and playing much better football than AC. I see it would be an issue that a club may want to avoid. A 100k diffference is a big difference to most people (to me anyway).

True but Clubs don't like to wait either and put there eggs in a few baskets. Good player or not if a team doesn't have space in Thier cap because you waited too long.. Dolphins will have space. Plenty of it by the way their recruitment is going haha

We also have alot of cap space & will have even more after next year, rushing into decisions will just lead us down a path where we have been and isn't the answer (Bulldogs are the current examples of this) & we do have time to see how it unfolds.

I would especially if I felt I was the guy doing more of the work or more important to the organisation.

Objectively,

Brooks Vs Hastings is my case in point.
If he does more work. Moses gives Pap good Earl ball. Crichton hasn't been given much ball because the halves there have been clunky as.

If Roosters offered 600k we need to offer 650k-700. If not then we have to just hope Blore or a young player come through the grades because there is not much out there at the moment.

Last edited:
There is a way around this. I also think this is what they do in the NBA. You basically pay out a bonus to all the players on your team.

I like this idea because it doesn't impact your cap longer term.
Is that actually an NRL compliant rule though?

Well about Nado, young mate said that when he was in the juniors were playing the roster in training, he was never a “ don’t you know who I am” player.

He was first to give the youngsters tips and befriend everyone. Therefore on the personality grounds, the best nrl player he’s ever met.

And the kids looked up to him a lot more than the superstars.

Lucy flattened him in a game once and young mate was the tackler. A bit of the Packer on the cat scenario. Trashed talked our club and after that collision, pussy has never had quite the same arrogant way about him.

Another kid at work played with Dufty and Host, no guessing who he enjoys having a beer with. Mary would never give Hosty a run and no one was more surprised than Host when the bunnies reached out to him lol. That’s a nice story. Plucked from Marys bench to play in a gf or something like that. He’s another good bloke who is humble and grateful for good fortune.

I don’t know any current players, although the last player I met was DWZ. He was very kind and I got a photo. I just wished him well with injuries and he gave me that nrl player nod of understanding. They all hate injuries.
He’s a hard core ball of muscle, DWZ, nice fella to us groupies. He was a doggy at the time.

Blorey is sighted wondering around Penrith Westfield’s sometimes. Massive unit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back