Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

PANTHERS-TIGERS SWAP DEAL
Penrith and Wests Tigers have discussed a potential player swap which could see Tyrone Peachey return to the Panthers.

The two clubs have spoken about a Peachey/Charlie Staines trade deal for next season. The Panthers have indicated to Staines that he is free to play elsewhere next year with clubs having fielded calls about his availability recently.

The Tigers have long been interested in the 21-year-old flyer but have so far scoffed at his current asking price which is about $400,000 next year. He has dropped down the pecking order at the Panthers and has struggled to feature in first grade this year.

The Panthers first gave Staines permission to test the market in 2020 but he has been unable to find a suitable club. The Tigers are again in the mix.

Peachey has had an unhappy season at the Tigers playing just 12 games and spending a large chunk in reserve grade in his first year at the club. Like Staines, he is contract for next season but the Tigers are willing to cut him loose.

Aside from the clubs needing to agree to the financial terms of the deal one of the other sticking points is the length of contract the Tigers would offer Staines. The Tigers are reluctant to add anything to his current deal.

Peachey played his best football at the Panthers during four seasons at the club. He last played there in 2018 before he made a big money switch to the Titans which he finally committed to after having second thoughts. (DT)
Very poor signing Peachey since day 1, paid way too much for him to be at the club, he just isn't the player he used to be, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bloke get sent to the sin bin as often as he has been for us. His discipline and errors were poor this year, he needs to look somewhere else. Penrith can have him....

Its probably a good deal for us. A lot of potential to untap in Staines imo.

Finally some good news for the club and recruitment.

Very poor signing Peachey since day 1, paid way too much for him to be at the club, he just isn't the player he used to be, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bloke get sent to the sin bin as often as he has been for us. His discipline and errors were poor this year, he needs to look somewhere else. Penrith can have him....

Its probably a good deal for us. A lot of potential to untap in Staines imo.

Finally some good news for the club and recruitment.
We all know Staines has the commodity we lack on the wings and can also fill in at the back.

The Bulldogs have tied down local product Jackson Topine on a new two year deal. The backrower was off-contract at the end of the season but will now remain at the club until at least 2024.

The 21-year-old has played 11 top grade games since making his debut last year. (DT)

Agree but the backend of the year he has started to look alright. Having no threat puts zero pressure on him to perform Staines would put pressure on him, he has played very well at fullback for the Panthers reggies this year.

Yeah his played well there in reserves and been quite on a few tough games with first grade. Think he'd be good if he can get more meters like Edwards

The Bulldogs have tied down local product Jackson Topine on a new two year deal. The backrower was off-contract at the end of the season but will now remain at the club until at least 2024.

The 21-year-old has played 11 top grade games since making his debut last year. (DT)

Yeah heard same on radio recently

To say he is a winner is a bit of a stretch (alot of potential to become one), in my opinion he has not really achieved anything notable yet in his still early career.

He talks a big game and puts on a face that he is a club man and wants to put in the hard yards so it will be very interesting to see if he has the fortitude to execute.
Give him some half decent forwards to play behind then judge him.

Laurie is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL.
I'm sure Staines will do a better job.
He is bigger, stronger, faster. Daine Laurie has done nothing the last 2 years at the tigers.
Bigger, stronger,faster? Hardly. He gets ragdolled all the time.

Of course he's one of the worst. He's the fullback with the wooden spoon.

Of course they do….
By taking stains - were only helping them with the money they want for the good players

We don’t need him that bad…
Sit back and wait for Martin and Leniu would be my move
Agree. If it was a like for like swap I have no issues as prefer Staines in the squad over Peachey but no way is Staines worth 500k a season.

Back