Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Most supporters at all clubs tend to overvalue their juniors and we are exactly the same.It is sad but true that most will not be consistent first grade players and it is very hard to find and keep the right ones because some players develop late and some peak early but do not improve.
But as always i hope we get it right this time
This is so true but with a club like ours that has performed so poorly over the past 10 years we can only clutch at straws in the hope that somehow sometime we gonna find success .. and thats is exactly what we are doing now

No way in hell should we put out a media release saying we missed a signing that’s amateur hour at its finest. You will know we missed him when Parra make their statement, there’s absolutely no need to make ourselves look like idiots again.
It was tongue in cheek bud. But we do have a history of issuing them 😆

Just for laughs, all that have a shed shall step in and spend a bit of time there, then come here and post.
Should be funny.
ahh so thats were its all happening. lol,im closing the roller door untill its all over.and wont be tempted out for anything less than a bottle of wodka and 3 backs of ciggies

Reality is we might only be ale to squeeze out 1 possibly 2 regular first graders out of that lot. The step up from being a talented junior to 1st grade is huge

Unless you’re in the Penrith system … by the time Cleary is ready to retire I’m sure they’ll have a ready made replacement who is just as good
And reality is we may create the future of a Grand Final winning group like Penrith have done in the last few years.

haha.

Brooks has no voice, has poor game management, has a poor short kicking game and has been very low on confidence... but...

He's a solid defender, with a a good running game, reasonably ok kicking game (attacking kicks to corners for wingers is ok, long kicks ok, grubber kicks for drop outs not so great), he always try's his best and has stuck solid with the club.

He's a running half back or running 5/8... but he needs a leader around him in the halves like a moses, or hooker being Api, who can be the voice, direct the game management and take over short kicking game and pump up his tyres to give him confidence.

If you want him for the other stuff you're wasting your time and only going to make his confidence worse.

And he's probably worth $650K - $750K for that role.
The weird thing with his short kicks is that at one point 2018-19 I remember it being on of his strengths than it and alot of the upside of his game disappeared in 2020

The weird thing with his short kicks is that at one point 2018-19 I remember it being on of his strengths than it and alot of the upside of his game disappeared in 2020
Watch his grubbers he hits them really hard so close to the ground. Then go watch young Walker from the Roosters. He drops the ball on his foot about 40cm from the ground in an over and end kind of grubber. It bounces up in goal instead of running along the ground dead.

Brooks needs to change his technique. We need way more repeat sets.

I think the grubber for repeat sets has dropped off since the 7 tackle sets were introduced. The cross field bomb or simply playing out the set in good position seems to be favoured by teams as more options with less risk.

I think the grubber for repeat sets has dropped off since the 7 tackle sets were introduced. The cross field bomb or simply playing out the set in good position seems to be favoured by teams as more options with less risk.
I think the Api dummy either side to hit Stef, Klem, Bateman, Ice or drumroll ... Twal 2 yards out will be telling.

Watch his grubbers he hits them really hard so close to the ground. Then go watch young Walker from the Roosters. He drops the ball on his foot about 40cm from the ground in an over and end kind of grubber. It bounces up in goal instead of running along the ground dead.

Brooks needs to change his technique. We need way more repeat sets.
This was perfectly exemplified once by Benji when the ball actually hit the ground first. That was a bad kick, but showed the technique needed.

Funny thing about the bounce of the ball is that playing Aussie rules you learn at like 10 years old that the ball when rolling seams vertical/"end over end", it follows a 'rhythm'.

It's like a pulse oximeter (or heart rate monitor) where you see the low amplitude waves (along the ground) followed every 4th or 5th by a high amplitude one (bounces higher). No idea about the physics of it, but kick a ball hard enough like this and the pattern repeats until it stops.

It's no great skill, just one that is a very common occurrence in footy compared to league.

I do confess though it drives me crazy seeing a winger botch an uncontested try because they've tried to ground it or pick it up out of its rhythm!

Any short kicker at nrl level should be able to kick it like this. To me the hard part is getting it through the legs of the defenders. I think it takes great composure, but Brooks looks like he tends to kick and hope.

So yeh, I could kick it like that with either foot tomorrow, but doing it in an nrl game and getting it through the line of defence, perfectly weighted for someone running through for it... That's a different matter entirely!

Fwiw, the best kick I've ever seen in rugby league was Cooper Cronk in a SOO at Suncorp where he kicked for his left winger who caught it on the full and put it down to score. As good a kick as you'll see in either nrl or afl.

... Well that was about 53 times longer than I thought it would be! 🤣

Exactly. These guys need to step up and they haven't been able to do that their entire careers.
Players do carry some responsibility. So does the former coach who many of you were all over. Brooks stated it during his interview the other day. We've a new coaching team, a style which better matches the skillsets of the players in the squad, a few tough experienced forwards which provides the framework for younger players to be introduced into the team. I'm looking forward to the new year.

Back