Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

"While Brooks will stay in the first-grade team for this week, if the Tigers continue to perform poorly, the heat to drop the maligned half down to reserve grade will mount before too long.

Last week, there was speculation about Brooks being dumped but according to Crawley, the Tigers got cold feet at the last minute. This is said to be due to the stigma surrounding dropping a player worth $1.1 million a year."

We don't have enough data to go on, maybe brooks is just about to hit his straps.
i say good cadence by the wests tigers without making knee jerk reactions.

/s

Pretty sure Wakeham was brought in to be a foil for brooks I.e. all you need to do is the basic game management tasks to take pressure off Brooks. When he started making elementary errors and repeating the worst of Brooks (kicking the ball dead etc) it’s no surprise the coaches will move off him. I think we can all agree we don’t need two Brooksy’s.
He was nowhere near as much of an abomination as Luke Brooks of 2023. I've never seen a worse half in decades of watching footy

Already had one or two free Development spots even before Kautoga left.

Pretty sure you can have 5-6 Development Players and with Kautoga gone, we’ve only got three (Ma’anaima, Feledy, Mansfield).

Not sure if they’ll upgrade someone else like Bula to make it four.
Noticed Bula is in the Official Team on the WT website.
With 3 dev spots available and now Ken Mamalo gone does anyone know whether he is on a Dev or been promoted to Top 30?
#Ken Mamalo is not in the team list any more.
I just had a thought that maybe Bula will play wing or Fullback this weekend if he isn’t injured.

Maybe rewatch it. I saw him upending Broncos forwards numerous times. Your bias has affected your vision.

Brooks has been really bad this year but last week he was better than AD and Wakeham.
He missed the tackle on Riki coz in the same play he upended Carrigan and was on the ground when the Riki break was made.

One thing I’ve noticed though, although he can upend blokes, Brooks does defend like a little bloke. Where by if he doesn’t hit low and stick his tackle isn’t effective.
Later on against a rampaging Cobo he tried to position himself to go low and got side stepped. Had he stood tall and tried to shirt front him he may of had a better chance to get him down or at least slow him down enough for cover to come and help.
Contrast to another notable poor defender in Moses.
I remember Moses was a terrible defender in 2015/2016 for the tigers and from memory topped the missed tackle count for the year; though ever since he came into grade he never changed his tackling style he tried to tackle like a big guy and missed many. now he has matured you see him able to stand his ground pull down backrowers with ease and be a dependable defender in the line.
Brooks on the other hand has to time his tackles to make an impact in defence. Where as most of the halves in the game can stand their ground.
Doueihi on the same topic has no excuse.

Doueihi is shot, I'd rather see Simpkin at 7 and Bateman to 6. We will still loose but hopefully it sends a message and starts putting pressure on these other two to start looking for a new team.
I think Brooks is shot. Can't recall any scrum half suffering the indignities he has and the criticism over such a long period and somehow turning it around. Confidence is such a delicate thing for a half and once it's gone it's usually gone for good. People might point to Johnson at the Warriors. But I don't think he ever got this low and for such a length of time. But Douehi I think is salvageable. Whenever I've watched the Tigers over the last few years he's almost always been the guy who looks most like a footballer. With the right coach rebuilding his game I think he's a certain starter. Maybe not a fullback. But definitely a playmaking position. But I don't see this current coaching group as being the people who can turn him around.

What’s Tanah Boyd doing from the GC? Is he injured. Can he play half for us next week?

WHERE did this story that Bateman refused to play with Hastings come from? Because I've checked all my sources over here and nobody can verify it. What I've been told is there were some frank exchanges at Wigan within the leadership group (including Hastings, Bateman, Tommy Leu and Farrell) when coach Matty Peet was in the process of taking over. But the idea that Bateman delivered an ultimatum to Wigan saying he flat out refused to play with Hastings has drawn nothing but head scratching. What I'm wondering is whether someone in the Australian media deliberately pushed that story out there as a shot against Hastings. Something going on here because the Hastings I've had (some) dealings with and others far greater are completely baffled by some of the outrageous stuff which has been written about him. Only heard positives from the people at Wigan & Salford especially. Sure, he can be a bit prickly at times. But that aint a crime ...

Back