Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

So if the rumours are true, and Fainu is coming across in the next few weeks. What is the likelihood that he plays a game of 1st grade this season?
I’d say likely.

He’s the same age as Da Silva who debuted defending in the middle.

Fainu plays in a less physically demanding position and has also had more NSW Cup experience than Tallyn had before he debuted.

Hey just quietly, is it just me or does anyone else get warm and fuzzy watching the roosters failing - especially Tedesco. I know I do. Mmmm…
Terribly out of form. Has always relied on his speed but may need to improve his game in other areas if he wants to see out his career at FB at his beloved Roosters.

I sometimes
Hey just quietly, is it just me or does anyone else get warm and fuzzy watching the roosters failing - especially Tedesco. I know I do. Mmmm…
Poor old Teddy I really feel sorry for him at times when I see the decline in his game, fortunately, after I think about the way he shafted us, somehow that feeling passes quite quickly.

Arriba.

Apparently Kayal Iro wants to explore other opportunities given his lack of opportunity from the Sharks. 2022 NSW Cup Player of the Year, regularly making 200m per game at centre, big tackle busts stats, good defence & versatile to play fullback & backrow which he played in the World Cup.
In a heart beat... 📝

With the impending recruitment of 18yo Latu Fainu (a running & ball-playing 5/8), everything is pointing towards us recruiting a game-managing & experienced halfback as our main field kicker.

I would be 99% confident that Benji will want someone (for at least 2 seasons) who can provide experience & direction along with Api to a young spine.

So with a shortage of halves on the market or likely to be released, I would not be surprised now if it's one of these two:

- Jack Cogger (I can see the club trumpeting the Cogger family links to the Magpies)
- Jake Clifford

Now some will criticise Jake & rightly so but if the club does it's due diligence into his mental space, he could come into strong calculations. He is mid 20s, has NRL experience, can direct a team around the park, huge kicking game, goal kicker & read Hull fans' comments on him, they reckon he is the best halfback in SL atm & the best ever for Hull. Maybe Sheens & Benji feel they can get the best out of him with Api.

I would have added Lachlan Lam but I don't think he is the game-managing type we are likely after but I am probably wrong.

With the impending recruitment of 18yo Latu Fainu (a running & ball-playing 5/8), everything is pointing towards us recruiting a game-managing & experienced halfback as our main field kicker.

I would be 99% confident that Benji will want someone (for at least 2 seasons) who can provide experience & direction along with Api to a young spine.

So with a shortage of halves on the market or likely to be released, I would not be surprised now if it's one of these two:

- Jack Cogger (I can see the club trumpeting the Cogger family links to the Magpies)
- Jake Clifford

Now some will criticise Jake & rightly so but if the club does it's due diligence into his mental space, he could come into strong calculations. He is mid 20s, has NRL experience, can direct a team around the park, huge kicking game, goal kicker & read Hull fans' comments on him, they reckon he is the best halfback in SL atm & the best ever for Hull. Maybe Sheens & Benji feel they can get the best out of him with Api.

I would have added Lachlan Lam but I don't think he is the game-managing type we are likely after but I am probably wrong.
Cogger is okay but everyone looks good in that Penrith 7 jersey imo - need more of a sample size.

If worst comes to worst, I'd look at giving Pearce a 1-year deal from next year as he's open to coming in 2024 he only ruled us out to break his contract and come this year. He's a premiership winner, SOS rep, and has played over 300 games. Probably the most experienced 7 available and has looked good in the SL.

With Api, Bula, and Fainu we don't need a game-breaking 7 just someone who can steer us around.

Cogger is okay but everyone looks good in that Penrith 7 jersey imo - need more of a sample size.

If worst comes to worst, I'd look at giving Pearce a 1-year deal from next year as he's open to coming in 2024 he only ruled us out to break his contract and come this year. He's a premiership winner, SOS rep, and has played over 300 games. Probably the most experienced 7 available and has looked good in the SL.

With Api, Bula, and Fainu we don't need a game-breaking 7 just someone who can steer us around.
I just can't see him going anywhere but the Roosters @teddy23 . He strikes me as a guy that won't want the pressure of coming to the Tigers and may want to stay in the books of Politis for a coaching gig post-playing (even if he just plays off their bench for a year).

I think the debut of Bula and in particular Tallyn really highlights those opportunities to other youngsters. Latu is by far and away the best player in the age group, yet another has already debuted before him while he sits behind someone who refuses to run the ball despite being 100kg.
I think you will find if Api didn’t break his jaw Tallyn would not have debuted till probably next season

I think you will find if Api didn’t break his jaw Tallyn would not have debuted till probably next season

You could be right, but I think I'm right in saying he would have debuted at some stage this year. No way of knowing who is right on this one brother, but it's my view Simpkin would have sat out at least one game to give the kid a taste leading into next year's preseason.

I agree.
He was put in through necessity.
Hopefully they continue to manage his game time as he is as green as it gets.

Sheens said on the “James Graham podcast” that he will be head coach in 24, then step back into head of football for 25.
Then he and his wife are heading back to England to enjoy retirement as they both have English citizenship.
Could Sheens then coach the English side?

I just think it would be a hell of a milestone. Australian coach and then English coach...

Okay I just want to see my side win a game once this year and being a WT and Blues fan I am having no luck. With Sheens coaching England I see the Australian side guaranteed a win.

So does anyone know if Latu Fainu rumour is actually true or just going off Chammas article ?
I suppose we will know by 4pm tomorrow when teams are named.
I don't want to get too excited yet as been disappointed before but the prospect of Bula, TDS and him as our future spine is exciting.

With Hunt reportedly going to Titans next year (would love to have him here) do we go for Sexton?

9. Api/TDS
7. Sexton
6. Fainu
1. Bula

Or do we need an experienced head to guide us for a few years?

Latest posts

Back