Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

It made sense at the time. We just paid way overs. He was a utility that wasn't making the top team at Souths. He looks likely at times as well.

The problem is he is slow and isn't very skillful for a half. The question becomes where do you play him ?
“The question becomes where do you play him ?”
The answer is reserve grade at a different club.

It made sense at the time. We just paid way overs. He was a utility that wasn't making the top team at Souths. He looks likely at times as well.

The problem is he is slow and isn't very skillful for a half. The question becomes where do you play him ?

Yeh, injury was the beginning and end.

Staines is a breath of fresh air in the joint. I like his commitment to the team and he seems to be a level headed young man. We can never have too many of them in our club.
Totally agree. I just wonder whether it becomes a $$$ issue yo retain him, as I am sure other clubs will be interested. The big money contract given to Noffa might come back to bite us.

Tim Sheens insists he will remain head coach at Wests Tigers until the end of 2024, and by doing so says he can keep protecting Benji Marshall from relentless attacks on the club.

As the Tigers try to bounce back against Cronulla on Thursday, five days after a 74-0 thrashing in Townsville, Sheens says it would be foolish to parachute Marshall into the job too soon, especially with the perennial strugglers in the middle of a “rebuild”.

The club’s Generation Next will continue to be rolled out against the Sharks with Aitasi James, a prop who is not even in the club’s top-30 squad – but “with an offload to kill for” – to feature at CommBank Stadium.

When asked about protecting Marshall from negative headlines, Sheens said: “That’s my role. Who did Canterbury’s press conference [on Tuesday]? [Canterbury football manager] Gus Gould kept [coach] Cameron Ciraldo out of it. Benji is the same situation.

“My role is to steady the ship and keep going forward.

“We ran last, last year, it was going to be a climb. We’re developing, it’s a rebuild, even though I hate that word, but it is.

“I’m not worried about my record or what your [win] percentages are. I have a job to do at the moment, and I’ll do my best to do it.

“By having two years with me, anyone signed by me is agreed to by Benj.

“Benji has a huge role already, more than what most people think. Benji and I work very closely together.”

Sheens said apart from the blowout against the Cowboys, and the Brisbane loss, he was happy with the effort the players had shown.

What could not be forgotten, he said, were the injuries to Luke Brooks, Api Koroisau and Adam Doueihi – three members of the all-important spine – while several players had struggled with illness before the Cowboys clash.

To make matters worse, industrial action involving the airlines over the weekend meant the Tigers did not arrive home until late on Sunday.

Winger David Nofoaluma and centre Brent Naden will miss the Cronulla showdown because of injury and be replaced by AJ Kepaoa and Tommy Talau.

Sheens was also excited by the potential of James, who has spent time in the lower grades at Parramatta and comes in for the suspended Alex Twal.

“Aitasi James is a big lump of a prop. He played in our first trial against Canberra, he’s bided his time, very good mates with ‘Ice’ [Isaiah Papali’i], and a very well put-together kid,” Sheens said.

“He’s been playing well in NSW Cup, now playing big minutes in that grade, which you need to do to play any sort of first grade.

“He’s a different body shape and work rate to ‘Twaly’, but in saying that, he’s got an offload to kill for, leg speed and good size.”
People can bag him as much as they want but he is doing what we need him to do and he has a nack of bringing in young talent. We all know if we had a decent halfback we would not be on the bottom of the ladder. I'm glad we didn't get Ciraldo as he looks out of his depth with a better roster and with all his years as assistant.
For us it all comes down to who we get for the halves and I am starting to think Fulton might actually be the right guy to fix our recruitment. I have said for a while we are a sleeping giant of a club but it's been harder to wake us up then expected but when we do I think with all the money and development we have done into juniors we will be up there for a while.
I think Aitasi James guy is going to kill it and Papa will pump him up.

People can bag him as much as they want but he is doing what we need him to do and he has a nack of bringing in young talent. We all know if we had a decent halfback we would not be on the bottom of the ladder. I'm glad we didn't get Ciraldo as he looks out of his depth with a better roster and with all his years as assistant.
For us it all comes down to who we get for the halves and I am starting to think Fulton might actually be the right guy to fix our recruitment. I have said for a while we are a sleeping giant of a club but it's been harder to wake us up then expected but when we do I think with all the money and development we have done into juniors we will be up there for a while.
I think Aitasi James guy is going to kill it and Papa will pump him up.
Hahaha ‘sleeping giant’ hahaha

Tim Sheens insists he will remain head coach at Wests Tigers until the end of 2024, and by doing so says he can keep protecting Benji Marshall from relentless attacks on the club.

As the Tigers try to bounce back against Cronulla on Thursday, five days after a 74-0 thrashing in Townsville, Sheens says it would be foolish to parachute Marshall into the job too soon, especially with the perennial strugglers in the middle of a “rebuild”.

The club’s Generation Next will continue to be rolled out against the Sharks with Aitasi James, a prop who is not even in the club’s top-30 squad – but “with an offload to kill for” – to feature at CommBank Stadium.

When asked about protecting Marshall from negative headlines, Sheens said: “That’s my role. Who did Canterbury’s press conference [on Tuesday]? [Canterbury football manager] Gus Gould kept [coach] Cameron Ciraldo out of it. Benji is the same situation.

“My role is to steady the ship and keep going forward.

“We ran last, last year, it was going to be a climb. We’re developing, it’s a rebuild, even though I hate that word, but it is.

“I’m not worried about my record or what your [win] percentages are. I have a job to do at the moment, and I’ll do my best to do it.

“By having two years with me, anyone signed by me is agreed to by Benj.

“Benji has a huge role already, more than what most people think. Benji and I work very closely together.”

Sheens said apart from the blowout against the Cowboys, and the Brisbane loss, he was happy with the effort the players had shown.

What could not be forgotten, he said, were the injuries to Luke Brooks, Api Koroisau and Adam Doueihi – three members of the all-important spine – while several players had struggled with illness before the Cowboys clash.

To make matters worse, industrial action involving the airlines over the weekend meant the Tigers did not arrive home until late on Sunday.

Winger David Nofoaluma and centre Brent Naden will miss the Cronulla showdown because of injury and be replaced by AJ Kepaoa and Tommy Talau.

Sheens was also excited by the potential of James, who has spent time in the lower grades at Parramatta and comes in for the suspended Alex Twal.

“Aitasi James is a big lump of a prop. He played in our first trial against Canberra, he’s bided his time, very good mates with ‘Ice’ [Isaiah Papali’i], and a very well put-together kid,” Sheens said.

“He’s been playing well in NSW Cup, now playing big minutes in that grade, which you need to do to play any sort of first grade.

“He’s a different body shape and work rate to ‘Twaly’, but in saying that, he’s got an offload to kill for, leg speed and good size.”
That last paragraph has me excited to see him and the tigers play tomorrow night.
I've already forgotten how bad we played 5 nights ago and am pumped again to see the mighty tigers play again....
Come Friday morning, I'll probably be feeling like crap again questioning why I follow the Tigers...

tigers all the way, just that plenty of supporters thought he was not even going to get another nrl gig... wrong
stupid move if we don't have a better replacement that's all
No other team in the history of the nrl would have kept the same player for 11 years that didn’t deliver results. He has been in form this year, but too little too late. And if he had any loyalty he would have jumped on the $550k being offered to him, for the millions of dollars he has stolen from the club in the time he’s been here and done absolutely nothing.

Good chance that it's just Gus deflecting as he does.
I didn’t get that vibe from watching Gus talk on 100% on Monday.
Even Gal (who I can’t stand as a commentator) talked about young guys playing in their first year of NRL burn out after a few games at that level, like Toups, Bula.

P.S. I know that Gus is always covering his arse and can’t be trusted with the truth a lot of the times.

This is me speculating here but I wonder whether as part of releasing Latu & Samuela Fainu to us, Sea Eagles ask us to take another player who they want off their books to free up salary cap space with all their incomings.

Would be either Zac Fulton or Sean Keppie!

If we held over a barrel, I'd rather Keppie personally as we don't need another young lock & Keppie brings a bit more experience. Likelihood that Seyfarth and Tuki Simpkins, in addition to Offa, are gone next season.

I know there’s been mention on this forum and the media about us looking at Braydon Trindall, but we should be going all out for his signature (assuming we’ve got Fainu). He’s a natural halfback with a good short and long passing game, great running game and is a solid kicker (the anti-Luke Brooks basically).

Offer him 650-700K and get it done. I know he’s under contract till 2025 but I doubt the Sharks stand in the way of that offer when he’s stuck behind Hynes, Moylan and having to compete with their other young halves.

A halves pairing of Fainu and Trindall would be amazing and should be the priority.

On SEN today it was suggested by the ‘hat’ that tigers are about to “embark on a very aggressive recruitment drive” hopefully it is with quality players willing to say ‘yes’
And the 'horrible hat' man will have to pay massive overs to get anyone of quality to come here.
WT would be better off going behind 'the hat's' back and "embarking on a very aggressive recruitment drive" to get a quality replacement for him.

Article from the Mole suggesting we're going to shop around Doueihi for next year. I'm sure they'll be knocking the door down to pay 600k for someone who will miss most of the season.
Sheens has all but admitted that Doueihi will be lucky to play in 2024 and given that he signed a 1 year extension there will be no need to shop him around as no one would take him injured and they can sign him anyway come 1 November 2023 for the 2025 season.

Latest posts

Back