Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

All they have to do is get metres in possession, which they do. Field position isn't our problem, it's what the backs don't do when in position.
Getting metres in possession is in no way "all they have to do". That is as much the back 5's role as it is the forwards. They need to limit the oppositions metres, ours don't. They need to slow the opposition's play the ball to limit their attacking opportunities, ours don't. They need to create quick play the balls to attack off the back of, ours don't. They need to create their own attacking opportunities and line breaks through tackle breaks and off-loads, ours don't.
Our pack is okay. It is competent for the first time in many years. But, it is no better than the majority of opposition forward packs.

- laurie deal happend as expected, most likely his last game for the club last night
- no rush for the club to put latu into 6, sullivan is seen as a low risk high upside signing , still with sezer at 7, dragons would put up a little less then half to get him off the books, but watch the dogs make a play
- whispers that nick cotric may ask for a release from the raiders too, no interest from the tigers at this stage, but i would take him

- laurie deal happend as expected, most likely his last game for the club last night
- no rush for the club to put latu into 6, sullivan is seen as a low risk high upside signing , still with sezer at 7, dragons would put up a little less then half to get him off the books, but watch the dogs make a play
- whispers that nick cotric may ask for a release from the raiders too, no interest from the tigers at this stage, but i would take him
Sullivan an option immediately said he can go in the article, if we do go for him that would make sense if Laurie is off also.

Getting metres in possession is in no way "all they have to do". That is as much the back 5's role as it is the forwards. They need to limit the oppositions metres, ours don't. They need to slow the opposition's play the ball to limit their attacking opportunities, ours don't. They need to create quick play the balls to attack off the back of, ours don't. They need to create their own attacking opportunities and line breaks through tackle breaks and off-loads, ours don't.
Our pack is okay. It is competent for the first time in many years. But, it is no better than the majority of opposition forward packs.
Thank you for elaborating on my point.

Sullivan has a hamstring injury doesn’t he? I doubt he plays again this season is a ‘mid’ season release worthwhile?

I am not sure where you got 29 from. This is my current top 30 for next year, let me know if I have missed anybody. Think we have 5 spots to fill (3 if we got Sezer & Sullivan). Even though TDS will probably be top 30 next year I only have what is confirmed written down. I only think we upgrade TDS if we move on Rua / Jake anyway.

2024 Roster

Starting:
1. Bula
2. Nofoaluma
3. To'a
4. Naden
5. Tupou
6. L. Fainu
8. Utoikamanu
9. Api
10. Klemmer
11. Papali'i
12. Bateman

Bench:
14. Simpkin
15. Twal
16. Pole
17. Blore

Reserves:
21. Kepaoa - Second Row

Depth:
22. Doueihi (Season Injury) - Utility
23. Feledy - Centre
24. Galvin - Halfback
25. Tumeth - Second Row
26. S. Fainu - Second Row
27. Matamua - Lock
28. S. Fainu - Prop
29. Ngatikaura - Lock / Hooker
30. Reilly - Centre
Reilly getting a three year top 30 contact gotta be up there with one of the worst signings ever made

Yeah but look deeper. Our forwards to 1 too many ball shifts for my liking. I’ve heard this many times, we have the forward pack to set the platform what platform?
What are our forwards actually achieving?
Are we getting quick play the balls and a fast ruck?
Are we seeing them belt the opposition and making it a tough game?
Are we seeing them bust tackles and making line breaks?
What they are getting is meters in possession but there is a lack of variety so would we really have an effective game plan on the back of our forward pack alone?
100% agree - we should be rolling through the middle and getting QPTB to provide space for the outside and edge. But we have turned 1 of the most dominant front rowers in the game into a pass first prop. Klemmer sucks in 3-4 players everytime if he runs run hard and straight over the advantage line.

I would just want our players to run strong hard lines punching through the tackle instead of ball playing before the line. All the defense does is move across as the ball is passed, you can already tell what they are doing before they do it.
If this is the Benji style of coaching, then he better think again because it is boring and u/7 like play. We have nothing in motion in attack hence majority of our tries are from luck or mis tackles.

We nearly landed Cotric last time. It was during Madge era but Sheens was involved so interest may develop.

If Laurie goes, we have 2 spots to fill by August 7 I think it is. I doubt we’d get Sullivan (injured) or Sezer this season, so maybe we just promote 2 internals immediately on low wage (Mansfield & Feledy) and plan Brooks/Wakeham as halves for rest of season with Will Smith & Api as backups. Or Talau & Fainu swap is on the cards.

A bit to play out.

We nearly landed Cotric last time. It was during Madge era but Sheens was involved so interest may develop.

If Laurie goes, we have 2 spots to fill by August 7 I think it is. I doubt we’d get Sullivan (injured) or Sezer this season, so maybe we just promote 2 internals immediately on low wage (Mansfield & Feledy) and plan Brooks/Wakeham as halves for rest of season with Will Smith & Api as backups. Or Talau & Fainu swap is on the cards.

A bit to play out.
We've filled our 30 spots for the year, even if a player leaves they still count so Ofa is still in our 30 contracted players. A bit of an odd one I know but that's how it's set up.

We've filled our 30 spots for the year, even if a player leaves they still count so Ofa is still in our 30 contracted players. A bit of an odd one I know but that's how it's set up.
That is not how it works. We still have one spot to fill before the august deadline because Joffa left.

Bloke has mad attitude problems. But he's very dangerous close to the line, which is the exact opposite of any current Tigers player.
You say this, but in reality over the past 4 seasons his total stats are something like 4 tries and 4 try assists from like 30 games.
And two of these tries were against us this season, so not sure they count.
So is he really that dangerous?

Staff online

Back