Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

While this generational talent v Luai debate is raging and there is so much chatter about potential v proven performance we really are overlooking the intent of what the development strategy appears to be.

What we have lacked as a team for a long time is leadership. The introduction of Api and Klemmer were the start of that change. Unfortunately Sheens was too fixated on turning he who can't be named into the talent he identifed but never got to coach. That was a mistake - he never had leadership ability. Sezer, on the other hand, adds control and direction in the halves where we need it most. Luai in 25 brings that plus leadership charisma not seen at this club in decades.

From a leadership perspective Nofa being called out and put on display for not meeting standards is a real plus for the new kids on the block. His attitude being shit means the sooner he is out the door the better. However, if he is dropped to Reggies and has to fight with the young guns for a spot it still shows that ego has no place in the future WT and is likely to push him to run away to SL ASAP. It is a win either way.

Let's look at our likely halves. Bud has shown that he can play FG. He has had a few injuries and was behind a superstar at the Dragons. Hook didn't see him as a 5/8 but I think Benji does. With Klemmer and Api pushing standards in the forwards, some control and direction in the halves from Sezer (plus off field leadership from what I have heard) should suit the off the cuff style of Bud (similar to Hughes/Munster and Reynolds/Mamm). They won't be word beaters in 24 but with real competition in the halves for the first time in forever, and Benji openly stating that if you work hard you will get a run, we are promoting standards over reputation. Sezer and Bud will be fighting for their positions week in week out - and if Latu is good enough he will push one of them out.

In 25 we should have JL at halfback to step things up a notch. Benji is a smart dude, and was used by Bennet as a mentor, so he knows just how valuable Sezer can be once Luai arrives. I'm not so sure he will be shown the door in 25 - won't be the FG half but I expect him to be around in some capacity. Player/mentor role potentially or if our young crop develop quickly maybe onto the coaching staff.

It is highly likely that one or more of the "generational talent" will not make it through injury, wine, women, or the grind of being a professional athlete. That is OK. If they all make it - that is better. If they are truly generational talents we will build the side around them.

What we lack in 24/25, on paper, is leadership in the outside backs. While our outside backs didn't fire in 22 it was beside the worst performing halves pairings in the NRL (LB/AD, LB/Wakeham, Wakeham/Toa etc). While I don't expect a miracle turn around in 24, I do believe we will start to see the true worth of the guys we have contracted. There is potential there in Lobb, Tupou, Alaimalo and Feledy. They will be pushing Charlie, Toa and Nado for a FG spot throughout the season. The sooner we offload Nofa and lure a fouth quality player, preferably one with some real leadership skills, the sooner we bolster our perceived weakness. Who knows; is this the breakout year for Tupou or Alaimalo in the centres? If not we will have a clear recruiting target for 25 (or will Galvin/Feledy be ready to step up)

I expect that we have 10/14th written all over us for 24 based on our recruiting and squad development. Get the leadership right though and we could develop quickly for a real crack at the top four in 25.

The talk about losing generational talent is premature. For the first time in a decade we have real development potential. Ride it for what it is worth and enjoy it.
A lot of realistic and common sense in this script.
I hope the doomsdayers read it and understand what you have said and not just skip through it so they can get on the keyboard for their next negative load of crap.

While this generational talent v Luai debate is raging and there is so much chatter about potential v proven performance we really are overlooking the intent of what the development strategy appears to be.

What we have lacked as a team for a long time is leadership. The introduction of Api and Klemmer were the start of that change. Unfortunately Sheens was too fixated on turning he who can't be named into the talent he identifed but never got to coach. That was a mistake - he never had leadership ability. Sezer, on the other hand, adds control and direction in the halves where we need it most. Luai in 25 brings that plus leadership charisma not seen at this club in decades.

From a leadership perspective Nofa being called out and put on display for not meeting standards is a real plus for the new kids on the block. His attitude being shit means the sooner he is out the door the better. However, if he is dropped to Reggies and has to fight with the young guns for a spot it still shows that ego has no place in the future WT and is likely to push him to run away to SL ASAP. It is a win either way.

Let's look at our likely halves. Bud has shown that he can play FG. He has had a few injuries and was behind a superstar at the Dragons. Hook didn't see him as a 5/8 but I think Benji does. With Klemmer and Api pushing standards in the forwards, some control and direction in the halves from Sezer (plus off field leadership from what I have heard) should suit the off the cuff style of Bud (similar to Hughes/Munster and Reynolds/Mamm). They won't be word beaters in 24 but with real competition in the halves for the first time in forever, and Benji openly stating that if you work hard you will get a run, we are promoting standards over reputation. Sezer and Bud will be fighting for their positions week in week out - and if Latu is good enough he will push one of them out.

In 25 we should have JL at halfback to step things up a notch. Benji is a smart dude, and was used by Bennet as a mentor, so he knows just how valuable Sezer can be once Luai arrives. I'm not so sure he will be shown the door in 25 - won't be the FG half but I expect him to be around in some capacity. Player/mentor role potentially or if our young crop develop quickly maybe onto the coaching staff.

It is highly likely that one or more of the "generational talent" will not make it through injury, wine, women, or the grind of being a professional athlete. That is OK. If they all make it - that is better. If they are truly generational talents we will build the side around them.

What we lack in 24/25, on paper, is leadership in the outside backs. While our outside backs didn't fire in 23 it was beside the worst performing halves pairings in the NRL (LB/AD, LB/Wakeham, Wakeham/Toa etc). While I don't expect a miracle turn around in 24, I do believe we will start to see the true worth of the guys we have contracted. There is potential there in Lobb, Tupou, Alaimalo and Feledy. They will be pushing Charlie, Toa and Nado for a FG spot throughout the season. The sooner we offload Nofa and lure a fouth quality player, preferably one with some real leadership skills, the sooner we bolster our perceived weakness. Who knows; is this the breakout year for Tupou or Alaimalo in the centres? If not we will have a clear recruiting target for 25 (or will Galvin/Feledy be ready to step up)

I expect that we have 10/14th written all over us for 24 based on our recruiting and squad development. Get the leadership right though and we could develop quickly for a real crack at the top four in 25.

The talk about losing generational talent is premature. For the first time in a decade we have real development potential. Ride it for what it is worth and enjoy it.
In theory what you have written sounds perfect.
Let’s hope it goes to plan.
I do agree that the fierce competition for NRL positions will hopefully mean at least one of these young halves steps up and becomes a very valuable NRL player very quickly in order to earn their starting spot alongside Luai once he arrives.

Last edited:
We probably won’t keep all of them if Luai comes.

The Roosters had Mitchell Pearce and Luke Keary on their cap when they signed Cronk.
I don’t think Sullivan will be our half for his full contract. He’ll either injure himself, move to another position like 14 or another club will be desperate for a half and ask him to transfer i.e Dragons.

Either way we are messing our salary cap up once again.
Sullivan signed a 4 year deal for reportedly 500k per season.
Latu Fainu signed a 4 year deal for reportedly 400k per season, possibly increasing to 500k for the 3rd & 4th year of the deal.
Once Luai arrives on the big money contract, it means we will have a 400k or 500k per season player either coming off the bench or possibly playing NSW Cup due to the possibility Talyn Da Silva will be our number 14.
It seems a lot of money for someone not to be a regular NRL starting player no matter how well they play.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Bud will become the odd man out and lasts out his contract. In saying that top clubs have a minimum $2m invested in their halves which even with the 3 signed we roughly come into that across 3 players. So cap wise we are not that bad off.

Reactions: 851
The better sides have 500k players on the bench, it's because we've been a peasant Club for so long, we have NSW Cup standard players on our bench.
Great point. And with getting rid of deadwood like Nofa on big money we will eventually be able to balance the cap and bring overperforming juniors to form the base on unders that have experienced success and chemistry to transition with the cream at NRL level

Either way we are messing our salary cap up once again.
Sullivan signed a 4 year deal for reportedly 500k per season.
Latu Fainu signed a 4 year deal for reportedly 400k per season, possibly increasing to 500k for the 3rd & 4th year of the deal.
Once Luai arrives on the big money contract, it means we will have a 400k or 500k per season player either coming off the bench or possibly playing NSW Cup due to the possibility Talyn Da Silva will be our number 14.
It seems a lot of money for someone not to be a regular NRL starting player no matter how well they play.
Every NRL halfback who has a few caps to his name is earning 350K minimum under the new salary cap. That is genuinely how much it costs to even get a nuffy to play halfback for your state cup team. Even Jock Madden will be on around that amount of money and he is useless at NRL level. 400 and 500K is nothing when you consider those guys have huge upside.

In theory what you have written sounds perfect.
Let’s hope it goes to plan.
I do agree that the fierce competition for NRL positions will hopefully mean at least one of these young halves steps up and becomes a very valuable NRL player very quickly in order to earn their starting spot alongside Luai once he arrives.
I think it simply reflects where we are at the moment. We have most of the skills we require in the current playing group - although we are underbaked in the outside backs based on form and experience. Leadership is what will turn this club around - and it is needed as much on the paddock as it is in the front office.

Think you'll find Klemmers Knights deal expired this year....
Can't imagine they're subsiding him for further years he wasn't to them contracted for?
Why not? They are supposed to be a good bunch of fellas .. it’s the least they can do , really , look at us .. we need all the help we can get !! 😂🥲

Last edited:
I’ll play along.

Large is playing both Union and League at top level, everyone will want him. Just like Sualli. There is no reason why he couldn’t do exactly what Sualli did to Souths, then Roosters.

Galvin is a Moses client who we all know will be trying to get him to another club.

Sullivan has an injury plagued history and Fainu could be anything but unproven.

Theoretically, we could lose Galvin and Large before they’re 20 and we have an opportunity to sign one of the halves that helped win the last 3 premierships. You have to take the sure thing if it’s an option over potential.

Can't see Galvin sticking around whilst the club piles halves around him. Much has changed since he signed with
We’re South’s a basket case when Suaalii left.. don’t think so. Where did he end, the Rorters. Has this decision halted his progression in first grade considering that side is stacked with internationals..NO. I personally think we have a better chance of retaining these young stars if they are playing for a club with quality players. If they’re good enough, they will make the team.

What we lack in 24/25, on paper, is leadership in the outside backs. While our outside backs didn't fire in 23 it was beside the worst performing halves pairings in the NRL (LB/AD, LB/Wakeham, Wakeham/Toa etc). While I don't expect a miracle turn around in 24, I do believe we will start to see the true worth of the guys we have contracted. There is potential there in Lobb, Tupou, Alaimalo and Feledy. They will be pushing Charlie, Toa and Nado for a FG spot throughout the season. The sooner we offload Nofa and lure a fouth quality player, preferably one with some real leadership skills, the sooner we bolster our perceived weakness. Who knows; is this the breakout year for Tupou or Alaimalo in the centres? If not we will have a clear recruiting target for 25 (or will Galvin/Feledy be ready to step up)

Best thing I’ve read in here for a long while
Realistically positive, it’ll take time
Thanks for a well thought through post 🙏🏼

If you want your so called generational junior talent to convert into elite NRL players you have to have a couple of top shelve,highly competitive players to show them the way. That’s where Luai will be such an important signing. Penrith did it with Jimmy Maloney when all the kids were coming through.

Iam okay with the price tag, that’s what our mob has to pay being on the bottom of the heap, five years is probably one to many but once again our hands are tied due to a decade of terrible results.

Yeah im in this boat with you, we probably lose at least one of those talents but we get to have a very good look at them in the mean time to assess.
I wasn't overly keen on Luai at first but we do need to land him we need an elite talent to attract and retain some players. If we keep missing these targets we're in for another tough year unless a 2004/05 scenario hits us in the arse again.

You do realise the last 10 years + we have put faith in junior talent, has lead us here?

Dont get me wrong, there’s much more to the story.

But for a team that has come last for 2 years, when an origin and international half becomes available and we don’t try to obtain him….well. How does that work out, or look?

If we can buy a winner, that makes us better, are we doing alright?
Do you realise that we have neglected and ignored our juniors for most of the past decade? There have been very few high quality players come through the ranks to go onto first grade, our sides have regularly finished towards the bottom of the ladders. Our juniors focus has only started the past 2 years (and that was with 16 year olds), it takes time for talent to reach first grade.

It’s not that simple. you’re insinuating the tigers as the only “silly” club willing to pay the reported 1.2 mil. Many other sides already have their marquee halves so they aren’t in the race. Most clubs don’t have the cap because they’ve spent $$ on other players.

You’re entitled to your opinion. I’d love to sign luai for 800! But that’s way unders in the current halves market for a 3x consecutive GF winning half.
Do you realise that we have neglected and ignored our juniors for most of the past decade? There have been very few high quality players come through the ranks to go onto first grade, our sides have regularly finished towards the bottom of the ladders. Our juniors focus has only started the past 2 years (and that was with 16 year olds), it takes time for talent to reach first grade.

I don’t disagree with you at all.

Let's not get excited about Luai giving notice to the Riff that he is leaving at the end of this season .. all the sports media have us as the fav's for him to join us .. but i'll feel a little more comfortable once he's signed on the dotted line .. those mongrel dogs are still sniffing around .. !! :-( the fat lady aint singing yet.

Here are some of the stand outs in pre-season so far:

Benji see's Soloman Alaimalo as more of a centre .. but will slot him in out on the wing .. dont think we'll see him from round one .. but we will see him at some stage of 24.

Lob is training the house down .. i wouldnt be surprised if he's in the top side quicker than we think .. and yes he has been practising his goal kicking and slotting some long range shots.

Bud Sullivan has been given a free pass to play game as what he see's in front of him .. dont be surprised to see him run the ball a lot.

Sezer has already taken squad under his wing with a lot of the young fellows listening an learning how he'll run the side around the park. His organisational skills will allow Api to free himself up a lot this season

Galvin and Saukuru are both impressing at training .. there is a good chance that Saukuru might be a starting centre.

Faagutu, Miller, Laulilii and Sukkar are all training well .. Millar is a possible bench starter for round 1. It's fun watching the brothers Fainu training and the two big prop brothers certainly have competitive spirit with each other.

Klemmer is looking ripped this pre-season .. he knows there are bunch of young kids knocking the door down for a prop position this season.

Naden and Ferrari are training strong .. hopefully a big season from both of these guys.

Watching the squad .. Lob and Alaimalo are two tall towers out on the field .. would be awesome to have them as our two wingers .. no one is going to out jump them .. lol

Let's not get excited about Luai giving notice to the Riff that he is leaving at the end of this season .. all the sports media have us as the fav's for him to join us .. but i'll feel a little more comfortable once he's signed on the dotted line .. those mongrel dogs are still sniffing around .. !! :-( the fat lady aint singing yet.

Here are some of the stand outs in pre-season so far:

Benji see's Soloman Alaimalo as more of a centre .. but will slot him in out on the wing .. dont think we'll see him from round one .. but we will see him at some stage of 24.

Lob is training the house down .. i wouldnt be surprised if he's in the top side quicker than we think .. and yes he has been practising his goal kicking and slotting some long range shots.

Bud Sullivan has been given a free pass to play game as what he see's in front of him .. dont be surprised to see him run the ball a lot.

Sezer has already taken squad under his wing with a lot of the young fellows listening an learning how he'll run the side around the park. His organisational skills will allow Api to free himself up a lot this season

Galvin and Saukuru are both impressing at training .. there is a good chance that Saukuru might be a starting centre.

Faagutu, Miller, Laulilii and Sukkar are all training well .. Millar is a possible bench starter for round 1. It's fun watching the brothers Fainu training and the two big prop brothers certainly have competitive spirit with each other.

Klemmer is looking ripped this pre-season .. he knows there are bunch of young kids knocking the door down for a prop position this season.

Naden and Ferrari are training strong .. hopefully a big season from both of these guys.

Watching the squad .. Lob and Alaimalo are two tall towers out on the field .. would be awesome to have them as our two wingers .. no one is going to out jump them .. lol
Lots to be excited about there, was bit worried about our wing depth in particular, but sounds like there could be a lot of surprises for the 2-5 positions. Glad the young forwards are putting their hand up to, think our pack will be very strong for a while to come.

Back