such a harsh comment. I only really know
of Mt Druitt through the music scene, and
how its residents describe it, also through
watching some YouTube videos. You're
right about different places having bad
areas. Even Paris has 'La banlieue'. I
apologies 4 my dense comment @tigertuff
No offence taken mate - I still love ya😜

There is no limit to 3rd party deals, but it is incredibly unlikely Luai would be getting 300k worth. Based on reported 3rd party figures* most clubs wouldn't get that many for their whole team.
*the reported figured would only consider the declared ones. I'd expect most clubs have a few illegal 3rd party deals as well.
Why would you make illegal deals if there was no limit on them?

I assume because the third party is not at arms length from the club.

The third party should not be associated with the club at all; for example, a sponsor.

Dearden hasn't proven anywhere near as much. Won an origin game. That's all his done in his entire career. Not sure he could do what Luai did with Samoa and Dearden has only had 2 good seasons. Luai has had 4 in a row
I rate Luai, and moreso than Dearden. But I think the "what he did with Samoa" stuff had been very excessive.
He played well but was not Samoa's best. Nor were Samoa particularly great at any point all tournament. Had a good win against a poor performing (in that game) England and another narrow win over a similarly rated Tonga. Didn't challenge Australia or face NZ.

Because the links to the club or being organised by the club makes them illegal.
If Politis calls up a mate and says hey, were struggling to bring Tedesco from the Tigers can you chuck in 100k. Then that 3rd party is illegal, even if Politis mate has no official link to the Roosters.

Hey mate, sorry for coming off poncy..
I haven't actually been there so probably
Shouldn't have said what I said and make
such a harsh comment. I only really know
of Mt Druitt through the music scene, and
how its residents describe it, also through
watching some YouTube videos. You're
right about different places having bad
areas. Even Paris has 'La banlieue'. I
apologies 4 my dense comment @tigertuff
No problems Kaito, didn't take any offence to it, Mt Druitt has its fair share of ratbags and aholes like most places but its reputation is far worse than its reality.

Because the links to the club or being organised by the club makes them illegal.
If Politis calls up a mate and says hey, were struggling to bring Tedesco from the Tigers can you chuck in 100k. Then that 3rd party is illegal, even if Politis mate has no official link to the Roosters.
But that is exactly how 99% of all TPAs come about. It's not illegal. It's the standard.

There are no limits on how many TPAs a club can use, or how much value they can have. Theoretically they're supposed to be independent of the club entirely but they never are, except for the top 2-3 players who may have sponsorships with Nike etc as a brand ambassador. And theoretically the player is being paid to do promotions, ambassadorships etc for the company but there is no actual requirement for them to do anything to get the money.

However they're not official, not a guaranteed part of the contract and can effectively be cancelled by the 'sponsor' at any time. So it's more risky for a player to have a % of their wage as TPAs, their salary is guaranteed. There have been many reports of players becoming unsettled after TPAs they were promised not being delivered in full. If it's with a reputable company you'd be confident but a smaller company may get cash flow issues and not be able to chip in as planned, unless it's for Uncle Nick and they get a kickback

Reactions: 851
I rate Luai, and moreso than Dearden. But I think the "what he did with Samoa" stuff had been very excessive.
He played well but was not Samoa's best. Nor were Samoa particularly great at any point all tournament. Had a good win against a poor performing (in that game) England and another narrow win over a similarly rated Tonga. Didn't challenge Australia or face NZ.
I watched all games in the world cup and he was by far the best player of the tournament. I think you're being biased to prove a point rather than actually analysing what happened. Losing against Australia in the final is not even bad. He was the best player against Greece, France and England, and 3rd best against Tonga after Milford and Suaalii. Sure, Greece and France are cannon fodder, so let's ignore them. But Samoa are a team that has a very low win record in the past decade, and they beat Tonga and England when most people tipped against them. Winning against the host nation England (the team that put 60 on them in the first game) in a semi final is a lot bigger than you're alluding to. It was one of the best IRL games I've ever watched when I woke up in the middle of the night to watch it. It's not purely because of the emotion that it was special, but the historical record of being the first tier 2 nation to make a final

Judging from what everyone has said how can people think Luai is only gonna take $800-$850k out the cap and the rest in TPA? There’s just no way you leave the 3 time premiership winners for the back to back spooners for the same contract being offered. Id also think if there is no rules to it a team that has won 3 GFs in a row would also have just as much sponsors willing to put in to keep him around.

I watched all games in the world cup and he was by far the best player of the tournament. I think you're being biased to prove a point rather than actually analysing what happened. Losing against Australia in the final is not even bad. He was the best player against Greece, France and England, and 3rd best against Tonga after Milford and Suaalii. Sure, Greece and France are cannon fodder, so let's ignore them. But Samoa are a team that has a very low win record in the past decade, and they beat Tonga and England when most people tipped against them. Winning against the host nation England (the team that put 60 on them in the first game) in a semi final is a lot bigger than you're alluding to. It was one of the best IRL games I've ever watched when I woke up in the middle of the night to watch it. It's not purely because of the emotion that it was special, but the historical record of being the first tier 2 nation to make a final
I thought Crichton was clearly their best in the games and moments that mattered and Luai and a few others played well alongside him. Though admittedly didn't watch Samoa beat up on Greece and France.
The SF win was massive historically and an entertaining game but I don't recall being particularly impressed with either sides performance.
Samoa's historical record before the tournament was pretty irrelevant to what the players could achieved. Their entire side had NRL experience, over half had played in an NRL grand final (big game experience). Bouncing out in the quarters or semis would have been considered a disappointing result pretournament and it was only that first loss (after being the last squad in England and little training no warm up game leading in) that tempered expectations. Many forget they actually started favourites in that first game due to the talent in their squad.
Also don't think most tipped against them in either of those finals. From memory they were slight favourites against Tonga and slight outsiders against England.
Anyway, that's not to say Luai isn't a great player. His NRL record and some standout games in Origin and finals is testament to that. He was also one part of the talent that had Samoa expected to put on a good showing in the WC. I just think the "he led them there" thing and that achievement alone overplayed.

I thought Crichton was clearly their best in the games and moments that mattered and Luai and a few others played well alongside him. Though admittedly didn't watch Samoa beat up on Greece and France.
The SF win was massive historically and an entertaining game but I don't recall being particularly impressed with either sides performance.
Samoa's historical record before the tournament was pretty irrelevant to what the players could achieved. Their entire side had NRL experience, over half had played in an NRL grand final (big game experience). Bouncing out in the quarters or semis would have been considered a disappointing result pretournament and it was only that first loss (after being the last squad in England and little training no warm up game leading in) that tempered expectations. Many forget they actually started favourites in that first game due to the talent in their squad.
Also don't think most tipped against them in either of those finals. From memory they were slight favourites against Tonga and slight outsiders against England.
Anyway, that's not to say Luai isn't a great player. His NRL record and some standout games in Origin and finals is testament to that. He was also one part of the talent that had Samoa expected to put on a good showing in the WC. I just think the "he led them there" thing and that achievement alone overplayed.
In the England semi final Crichton scored 2 tries and was the field goal kicker in the second half. But he missed a few tackles that led to tries. Luai was good the whole game with 3 try assists and his defence was excellent stopping a few tries as well. I think the field goal kicker automatically being man of the match is a bit of silly logic

Tonga had just beaten Cook Islands (who aren't great but not as bad as minnows) 92-10. They were in way better form and didn't get slapped 60-6 like Samoa did

The Cowboys will be in trouble ..
Tigers should pounce 👀 .. I’d be going after Nanai & Taunoa-Brown

Heilum Luki and Semi Valemei are both players I'd take interest in. if they do have to squeeze players out then I'd definitely be enquiring about Griffin Neame also. big fan of Robert Derby but I think they keep him.

Latest posts

Members online

Back