Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

True , mick was a tough little scrapper though that really knew how to tackle around the legs
I didn’t mean to lessen what those players did at all. They were greats of that era.

But nowadays teenage debutants are exposed to guys who are huge finely tuned athletes.

Im sure Mal Meninga was just as scary.

Very good players who had day jobs and didn’t train 9 to 5.
Not in 89 when Brash debuted!

The best players were already pretty much fulltime footballers then!

Rest assured Siro and Mal weren't coppers in 1989!!

Their "occupations" were just honourary with sponsors as sales consultants etc

Daley - Clyde - Fittler - Brasher etc never had any other jobs away from football!

Set plays went out in the early 2000’s when players started to learn how to run proper lines and vary their shape. You won’t see many sides with set plays, eyes up footy is the coaching philosophy. Momentum is the key to creating space.
Disagree. Warriors right side last year was dominant close to the line through perfect execution of a 2 option set play.
Souths left edge also has a very simple option play that has served them well for years with only minor changes each year.
I do believe building momentum and playing "eyes up" is a big part of attacking footy just that set plays are also still very much a trend in the game.

Not in 89 when Brash debuted!

They were already fulltime footballers then!

Rest assured Siro and Mal weren't coppers in 1989!!
I could be wrong but I think Sirro and Mal were probably exceptions. I thought Super League was the start of the era where everyone could give up their side hustle.

I could be wrong but I think Sirro and Mal were probably exceptions. I thought Super League was the start of the era where everyone could give up their side hustle.
You were not completely wrong mate!

I added to my post for context:

1705572631688.png

Junior Pearce was a metal work teacher at my HS - Siro and Mal were cops - etc

But the elite kids who came through from 87-88 never had REAL secondary jobs.

Disagree. Warriors right side last year was dominant close to the line through perfect execution of a 2 option set play.
Souths left edge also has a very simple option play that has served them well for years with only minor changes each year.
I do believe building momentum and playing "eyes up" is a big part of attacking footy just that set plays are also still very much a trend in the game.
Sure you still see the block play, the inside pass, the ‘x’ etc. but teams aren’t working three plays to set up for them like the old days. It’s much less rehearsed and happens naturally. A good ball player waits until the numbers dictate taking a shot.

Souths left side attack is probably the most rehearsed in the game but even that is just a shift at break neck speed.

I never meant that set plays are completely gone from the game but teams are less premeditated than years gone by.

Reactions: 851
True , mick was a tough little scrapper though that really knew how to tackle around the legs
Agree
The sad part is now days they would be telling him not to tackle around the legs because it gives the opposition a quick play the ball.
How the game has changed since the early 80’s when coaches like Warren Ryan concentrated on getting multiple players in the tackle to slow them down and playing field position to grind out a win.
Changed the great game for ever in my opinion.

Reactions: 851
For me Galvin should be spending time in reserve grade before getting that call up. Hasn’t even played Flegg and hasn’t gone up against men yet. He’s got potential and I think he’ll make first grade at some stage. But playing him round 1 (well round 2 in our case) is a gamble that shouldn’t be happening yet.
I don’t think you’ve mentioned that he hasn’t gone up against men enough! Can you post that quote again and again please

They fast tracked TDS to first grade.
He only played a couple cup games before getting the call up.

Could see Galvin starting the year in cup and perhaps an early call up as well, at some point.

For mine, I like Lobb.... getting up at 430am to drive 2 hours to training. Lot of effort.

Its good to have decent options for once.

22yo going to sleep at 8pm. He's dedicated 4 sure

Sure you still see the block play, the inside pass, the ‘x’ etc. but teams aren’t working three plays to set up for them like the old days. It’s much less rehearsed and happens naturally. A good ball player waits until the numbers dictate taking a shot.

Souths left side attack is probably the most rehearsed in the game but even that is just a shift at break neck speed.

I never meant that set plays are completely gone from the game but teams are less premeditated than years gone by.
I do essentially agree with a lot of what you have said there except the part about much less rehearsed.
I believe it is in fact much more rehearsed. This is practiced over and over until the players are so fine tuned to the plays that they can fall into positions and run the right lines at the necessary intensity the moment the numbers dictate it.

I do essentially agree with a lot of what you have said there except the part about much less rehearsed.
I believe it is in fact much more rehearsed. This is practiced over and over until the players are so fine tuned to the plays that they can fall into positions and run the right lines at the necessary intensity the moment the numbers dictate it.
So why can’t we deliver on all that practice ?
Last 2 years looked like the players didn’t know each other ?
Geez, when I played we had 2 night sessions a week and a night at the pub, and were as close as could be. Now they train every day and we serve up mostly rubbish.
I’ll praise Benji to the rooftops if he can just get them to look like a team with a common objective this season !

So why can’t we deliver on all that practice ?
Last 2 years looked like the players didn’t know each other ?
Geez, when I played we had 2 night sessions a week and a night at the pub, and were as close as could be. Now they train every day and we serve up mostly rubbish.
I’ll praise Benji to the rooftops if he can just get them to look like a team with a common objective this season !
I'm not convinced we do all that practice. A few other teams however...

Do we write off this year ? Blood all the juniors everyone’s arguing about and be ready to give it a major crack in 2025?

Do we write off this year ? Blood all the juniors everyone’s arguing about and be ready to give it a major crack in 2025?

We might have 2 speed it up & let the cream rise
2 the top, go hard in the player market for 2025
and see who's standing up mid-year. Don't think
Galvin is a chance 2 start or even play off the bench

Back