Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I asked ChatGPT what should Benji Marshall say to the team at half time after we have typically given the opposition a 20 point lead in the early stages of our games.

ChatGPT

Benji Marshall could offer a mix of encouragement, tactical adjustments, and motivation at halftime:

1. Encouragement: "Alright, team, great effort out there in the first half. We've shown flashes of brilliance, and we're definitely in this game. Let's build on those positive moments and keep pushing forward."
  2. Tactical Adjustments: "We've identified a few areas where we can tighten up defensively and exploit their weaknesses offensively. Let's focus on tightening our defense around the edges and capitalizing on opportunities when they arise."
  3. Motivation: "Remember why we're here. Remember the hard work we've put in to get to this point. Let's dig deep, support each other, and leave everything out on the field in this second half. We've got the skill, the determination, and the heart to come out on top."
  4. Specific Instructions: "John, I need you to lead the defensive line and communicate effectively. Sarah, keep exploiting those gaps in their defense with your speed and agility. And to the whole team, stay disciplined, stick to the game plan, and execute with precision."
  5. Belief: "Above all, believe in yourselves and in each other. We're a team, and together, there's nothing we can't overcome. Let's go out there and show them what we're made of. We've got this!"
So what we really need is for Benji to be more specific as is outlined in point 4 is to put more reliance on John and Sarah, John to lead the defensive line and Sarah to become the focus of our attack.

It's very obvious now that we haven't been doing this and this is where we have gone wrong.

Get onto it Benji.
I’ve been pushing for Sarah to get a run all year.

There is now a clear blueprint of what’s required to be an effective edge back rower, they ideally need to be a big bodied, athletic hard running tackle buster such as Kikau, Olakau’atu, Katoa, Nanai, Martin, Crichton, Fifita, Ben Turbo or the smaller but fast & aggressive players such as Radley, Young, Piakura, Nikita, Wilton etc
We are finally wising up and realising Samuela Fainu fits this description, but you need at least 2 more, one as the other starting player and one on the bench that can ideally also play in the centres should injuries occur throughout a game.
I’m sorry to say, but Bateman no longer fits this description and Papali’i although more than capable of breaking tackles, is probably a touch too slow of what we need.
The Roosters moving Radley to an edge looks to be a master stroke and Souths now realising Kalomatangi is also probably a touch slow for an edge and more suited as a middle forward is further evidence to be effective on an edge the player needs to be very fast and aggressive, or a big body that is also faster than average.

With our side, reputation, current build position and history of performance of recruited players; it’s evident that signing a young player as a marquee ie Blair / IPap ain’t for us.
We are having much more success with signings like Samuela Fainu who we picked up for semi decent money but have been signed before they have broken into the nrl as a player of interest.
Similar to Matterson and even Leulia these mid range gambles are the go.
Doorey and Burns both show promise but are also inconsistent.
We need to pick up Dylan Lucas from the Knights or as someone mentioned in the thread Klease Hass. This is our play.
Lets take it further.
Sullivan
Latu Fainu

How have these next big things worked out for us?

They haven't. We should stop signing players "on potenial" particularly if they are not first graders. I honestly can only think of Galvin and Bula who have actually earned their potential.

Sign Solid first graders. People who would take the field!
We have far too many signigns in the "potential" zone and we have trouble developing potential.

Lets take it further.
Sullivan
Latu Fainu

They haven't. We should stop signing players "on potenial" particularly if they are not first graders. I honestly can only think of Galvin and Bula who have actually earned their potential.

We have far too many signigns in the "potential" zone and we have trouble developing potential.
Put Sullivan and Fainu in the halves for one of the top teams and they would play well.
We keep blaming halves, but they are getting next tn no playmaking assistance from our fullback, no playmaking assistance from our 13 and have next to no tackle busting ability to plants on our edges.
Noticeably when we have looked like a half decent attacking team it has been due to Olam’ hard aggressive running or the recent emergence of Samuela Fainu on our edge.
Fox the dynamic around the halves and they will get tge job done.

Put Sullivan and Fainu in the halves for one of the top teams and they would play well.
We keep blaming halves, but they are getting next tn no playmaking assistance from our fullback, no playmaking assistance from our 13 and have next to no tackle busting ability to plants on our edges.
Noticeably when we have looked like a half decent attacking team it has been due to Olam’ hard aggressive running or the recent emergence of Samuela Fainu on our edge.
Fox the dynamic around the halves and they will get tge job done.
I've been a big Matamua doubter but I think it was obvious our attack looked much better when he came on at 13 and we fell back out of the game when he came off. Didn't look overwhelmed this week and I hope we let him play there for a few games.

There is now a clear blueprint of what’s required to be an effective edge back rower, they ideally need to be a big bodied, athletic hard running tackle buster such as Kikau, Olakau’atu, Katoa, Nanai, Martin, Crichton, Fifita, Ben Turbo or the smaller but fast & aggressive players such as Radley, Young, Piakura, Nikita, Wilton etc
We are finally wising up and realising Samuela Fainu fits this description, but you need at least 2 more, one as the other starting player and one on the bench that can ideally also play in the centres should injuries occur throughout a game.
I’m sorry to say, but Bateman no longer fits this description and Papali’i although more than capable of breaking tackles, is probably a touch too slow of what we need.
The Roosters moving Radley to an edge looks to be a master stroke and Souths now realising Kalomatangi is also probably a touch slow for an edge and more suited as a middle forward is further evidence to be effective on an edge the player needs to be very fast and aggressive, or a big body that is also faster than average.
Vicious do you think Broederlow could do the edge job in the future .I'd never heard of him until recently looks like he's got some size

Sounds like the player managers are calling the shots
Has been for years. Ultimately the only way to win unless you are the big teams is juniors who want to play for the team. Problem is they want a team that has a chance.

Can someone please explain. Papali’i wasn’t off contract until 2025 which means Penrith couldn’t approach him until November. He quits for whatever reason and is magically signed a few days later. Vlandys and crew sure know how to run an even competition.

Only justice in it is at anything over 400 a season they got themselves a real bargain (not)
Our club gave permission for him to look for another club if he wanted to a month or so ago.

Lets take it further.
Sullivan
Latu Fainu

One would argue that Papali fits the solid footballer category. I can name a few backrowers in that category.
Host, Riki, Butcher (Nat), Ford, Stone, Eisenhuth (Tom).
Who do you have in mind?

Has been for years. Ultimately the only way to win unless you are the big teams is juniors who want to play for the team. Problem is they want a team that has a chance.
Player managers run the clubs these day outside maybe three clubs. They basically control who where and when players are recruited, and contracts mean very little in this process. The NRL needed to take more control of player managers years ago but as usual failed to act. Iam not sure what the answer is but the game can’t afford having people like Isaac Moses controlling player movement

One would argue that Papali fits the solid footballer category. I can name a few backrowers in that category.
Host, Riki, Butcher (Nat), Ford, Stone, Eisenhuth (Tom).
Who do you have in mind?
I think the issue is Papali’i was playing like a solid footballer but was being paid like an elite footballer (in his position). That’s how your salary cap gets out of whack.

None of the other players mentioned would be getting paid anywhere near what Papali'i is.

I don't know re Radlet to the edge. It has worked for them, but unsure if it will keep working for them.

My big question is how come the Roosters, with the roster losses they have had keep seeming to make good front rowers and we dont?

Infact Why do the Roosters get such loyality when they treat players like a kid treats used packaging? They used to be the most flickey team in the comp, however some players have really stuck by them. I don't get it, but clearly they get it and it's more then Unkle Nick with paper bags.

But totally agreed, we need a player that's a gutsy center that could possibly play back row. The only player we have that even begins to fit that mould is Olam, and we need him at Center.

I had wondered if Bateman could start at Center with Olam. I know Bateman has lost some speed but at least he could beef up the edge defense a little. We just can't be leaking points like we are and getting done 6-8 tries.

But yea, fast moving second rowers are exactly what we need. Particularly with what API is creating in the middle.

I think the issue is Papali’i was playing like a solid footballer but was being paid like an elite footballer (in his position). That’s how your salary cap gets out of whack.

None of the other players mentioned would be getting paid anywhere near what Papali'i is.
Do ya reckon Pap is getting the same in his new contract? I Don’t

Back