Stefano Utoikamanu #241

I’ve been disappointed in Steph for a while now as he is big and powerful but doesn’t take the opposition pack on like he hates them. He makes his meters and tackles but not with enough or sometimes any venom attached. He then takes his break and comes back out to pad his stats in the second half, gaining praise in losing teams that I often feel is unwarranted.

Last night though…he lived up to his hype and potential. Last night he was an elite, aggressive front rower who had the sharks worried. If Api hadn’t played a near perfect game, Steph was my MOM.
I don’t think I’ve ever said that before. Well done to him.

I agree, Stef got my 2 points. Couldn't argue with anyones 3, 2, 1 this week, many are deserving, but for me Stef set the scene in the middle.

Look at it from a glass half full perspective. Stef needs to impress to get to SOO and to have other clubs in the hunt for his signature. That means he has to perform for us in 2024; if not he is shooting himself in the foot.

If he does perform and gets the SOO call up we win. If he doesn't the offer from other clubs will be lower and we have the last say at the negotiation table so still a win of sorts.

Benji and Richo, in the short time thay have been calling the shots, have given me the impression that they have a plan to build the club by engaging individuals, by engaging the family, by building a framework where putting your mates first is important.

At the end of the day it is all about Stef's wants and needs. Benji and Richo, and how they manage Stef as an individual, with be an influence. How they develop the culture of the club will also have some effect. Maybe a leadership position and the opportunity to build something at WT will be an attraction to Stef.

These influences would have a lot of pull with some players. Others; Moses and Matterson for example, are focussed on the $ and will not be swayed one bit by mates and leaving a legacy.

I think Stef has leadership ambitions and that will be a lever we can pull. $ will count and we don't need to have the SOO clause hanging out there as it will only be putting off the inevitable.

I'm sure the club is talking with him and has manager; but I doubt any appoaches by us will be spewed across the media. I expect that would be detrimental to any negotiation involving Richo. Of course he will talk up other offers - he wouldn't be doing his job otherwise.

I'm quietly optimistic. I think Stef's heart is here and as long as the $ are comparable he will stay. I'm just a mug punter like everyone else here though so only time will tell.

Tigers have to do everything to stop Penrith and or the roosters from poaching Stefano.. too strong clubs with cash for a young fella is very tempting . It goes without saying we need a big year and possibly a pay increase to keep him keen to stay a Tiger..He can't get on Cleary bus .

Reactions: BZN
Joining a club that consistently wins and offers a similar or better pay packet would be very tempting for any talented player.

I know it's Benji's first year, but all eyes are on him and how he leads, strategises, and gets the best out of the boys. We muffed it up against the Phins and the Drags, both were very winnable games even with our outs and some poor calls.

The brutal reality is that we need at least 14 wins to make the 8. If we lose against Penrith and then Brisbane, our chances are slim to none, and we'll be fighting not to take home our third spoon.

No one - coach, player or supporter wants that on their resume.

If a player wants to leave they will find a way regardless of clauses in the contract
Fortunately for us Stef doesn't want to leave. At least that's what he said earlier this year.

“I’m trying to focus on making the top eight, that’s what I want to do – I want to stay at the Tigers,” Utoikamanu told this masthead.

“I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here. They’ve given me my big opportunity to become the player I am now.“I’m trying to focus on making the top eight, that’s what I want to do – I want to stay at the Tigers,” Utoikamanu told this masthead.

“I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here. They’ve given me my big opportunity to become the player I am now.

Back