Taylor's tactics stifling young tigers

liltiger

**<big>Taylor’s tactics stifling young Tigers, boring fans</big>**
\
\
By Alex Tricolas, 7 Jun 2015 Alex Tricolas is a Roar Rookie NEW AUTHOR!
\
\
A few weeks ago during a televised Channel Nine game, Phil Gould was banging on about the talent of the young Wests Tigers playmakers and about how they should be allowed to play their natural game. I’m sure he wasn’t talking to the viewers, but to Jason Taylor.

Love him or hate him, Gould knows his stuff, and he knows Taylor is suffocating the life out of these kids with this boring brand of footy.

The football the Tigers are playing is one-up, boring, uninspiring stuff.

It’s not fooling opposition defences who just have to square up, make five tackles and then catch a mid-field bomb, and it’s boring the pants off the fans that pay money to be entertained.
The last quarter of the game on Saturday night, when the Tigers were desperate, they threw caution to the wind and almost pulled off a comeback. But it wasn’t enough. They had wasted most of the game playing the snooze-fest footy that has got them into this mess over the last six weeks.
It is a nothin’ doing strategy that now sees 2015 looking like another wasted season that will no doubt be spun by those responsible into a ‘rebuilding’ year.

For the Tigers, there were two highlights. One was the debut of promising youngster Manaia Cherrington, and the other was the sight of Chris Lawrence having a blinder at second row and breaking his try drought with two of the Tigers’ touchdowns. How coaching staff had not realised sooner that second row was the logical step for Lawrence is a mystery.

Over the last few years Tigertown has been busy tearing itself apart from the inside, and fans have bayed for the blood of everyone from the CEO to the ball-boys. As a fan, I’ve never called for a coach’s head. Not Tim Sheens, not Mick Potter. But this time, I feel that the appointment of JT was the wrong one. Maybe they should have gone with Todd Payten. Certainly it was no secret that he wanted the job. He knew these kids. He got the best out of them, and they won everything under him.

Not only that, they did it with the flair and excitement that Wests Tigers fans go nuts for. As Jack Gibson once said, winning starts at the front office. It seems the front office may have got it wrong again.
\
\
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/06/07/taylors-tactics-stifling-young-tigers-boring-fans/

Edited (117)

Maybe. But maybe he is trying to teach them how to defend and put a hard edge on them to prepare them to succeed in NRL.

With all due respect to Payten and his achievements, coaching a talented bunch of juniors to success in underage competitions is totally different to coaching in NRL.

@larrycorowa said:
Maybe. But maybe he is trying to teach them how to defend and put a hard edge on them to prepare them to succeed in NRL.

With all due respect to Payten and his achievements, coaching a talented bunch of juniors to success in underage competitions is totally different to coaching in NRL.

Exactly they don't tackle in the under20s they just yell touch

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

Excellent article.

The pressure is building, and rightly so.

@Tiger In The Gong said:
Excellent article.

Yep is so good that almost every comment disagrees with him :laughing:

Looks like they have been reading the Forum

@happy tiger said:
@Tiger In The Gong said:
Excellent article.

You really are deluded arent you.

@Tiger In The Gong said:
@happy tiger said:
@Tiger In The Gong said:
Excellent article.

You really are deluded arent you.

Yes I'm so deluded I clicked on the comments read them and saw that 4 of the 5 comments supported Taylor

Quick get me my medication :brick:

Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Brett Finch and Brad Fitler have all said the same thing now.

Happy, Mafia and larrycorawa disagree.

Cant wait to see who is right. . . . .

@cqtiger said:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yep that's right

The person who admitted he sold our soul for the WT's to win in 2005 and has caused our problems thinks its boring :wink:

An an interview with James Tedesco on the Sunday Footy show today.

John's first question to Tedesco is " how hard is it to get your own game into the coach's idea" he asks bemused like he just cant comprehend the situation.

Fitler's first question to Tedesco is " are you still enjoying your footy" he asks genuinely and would not ask if he thought we looked like a team who were enjoying themsleves.

The writing is on the wall here and the questions are only going to get harder and the pressure is going to build.

As i said earlier, an immortal in Johns, one of the games greatest coaches, two premiership winning halves, theyve all seen it and are starting to comment.

If our style doesnt change i give this four weeks before the blow torches come out.

I think its fair to say that most if nearly not all the good media judges are bemused with our tactics.

They are fans like us, and can see talented "footy" playing kids get dumbed down.

I actually enjoy watching Canberra play more than us,they throw it around, and play a good brand of entertaining footy!

And if you asked everyone on those you have mentioned what win premierships and what the Tigers biggest weakness is I would bet that they'd all say the same thing

What was Tedesco's answers more importantly ??

@simonthetiger said:
I think its fair to say that most if nearly not all the good media judges are bemused with our tactics.

They are fans like us, and can see talented "footy" playing kids get dumbed down.

I actually enjoy watching Canberra play more than us,they throw it around, and play a good brand of entertaining footy!

Yeah love what Canberra are doing, big strong forwards, halves that run and big outside backs. Simple stuff.Watching Austin is the highlight of my weekend.

@happy tiger said:
Didn't hear Johns disagreeing when JT rang MMM ???

Johns didn't have the balls to tell JT where he's going wrong !

@happy tiger said:
And if you asked everyone on those you have mentioned what win premierships and what the Tigers biggest weakness is I would bet that they'd all say the same thing

No one has EVER won a comp scoring LESS points than the opposition.

My fave two years were when we won the comp and when Penriff did. They didnt follow what had gone b4 them for years,they had a go,did something different and got the spoils!!

And it was extremely entertaining to watch…...which equals bums on seats!

@Tiger In The Gong said:
@simonthetiger said:

Yeah love what Canberra are doing, big strong forwards, halves that run and big outside backs. Simple stuff.Watching Austin is the highlight of my weekend.

Canberra's forwards earn them the right to play the footy they do

When ours can do the same , we will be no different

Canberra throw it around in their own half,play to their strengths and kick to the corners to their tall guys.

We should be doing that.

I cant believe im saying this but Stuart seems to have more of an idea than JT!

@simonthetiger said:
@happy tiger said:

No one has EVER won a comp scoring LESS points than the opposition.

My fave two years were when we won the comp and when Penriff did. They didnt follow what had gone b4 them for years,they had a go,did something different and got the spoils!!

And it was extremely entertaining to watch…...which equals bums on seats!

But they kept their opposition to less points

People seem to forget we kept our opposition to almost less than two tries a game for the least 5 games in 2005

Again its all about earning the right to play that type of footy

Back