THE BOARD - Tell them what you think of their performance, now!

I would never ever buy an apartment no matter how ritzy and flash it appeared. Lipstick on a pig.
I follow David Chandler on LinkedIn. That dude is beating his head against a wall with current builders.

Had to google him, he's the real deal.

I was paying $550p/w in burwood for a
1 bedroom apartment a while ago. Rich
Chinese investors bought out the whole
block. Australia sold her soul ages ago

In the late 80s early 90s it was nearly impossible for a young bloke to get an apprenticeship, even if his old man was a tradie.

Back then builders would struggle to get a job doing a pergola.

But buildings usually just didn’t collapse lol.

But then look at Burwood for instance....40 story flats.....just couldn't Imagine it 25 years ago.

And Mayor I know told me population will triple in 20 years time.

It's changed. No more butchers or mum &
pop stores. Cash in hand pop up shops.
It's our fault not theirs, we lost
the Vietnamese bakeries too. $1 fresh rolls.
We talk about China as a threat in the pacific
but we sold it all to them. I dunno lmao

It's changed. No more butchers or mum &
pop stores. Cash in hand pop up shops.
It's our fault not theirs, we lost
the Vietnamese bakeries too. $1 fresh rolls.
We talk about China as a threat in the pacific
but we sold it all to them. I dunno lmao
Huh? All of those things still exist in abundance, especially the Viet bakeries.

Huh? All of those things still exist in abundance, especially the Viet bakeries.

Not in burwood where I'm from.
They pay in cash. No tax or super
They kicked out the Vietnamese...
Got to go ashfield for a banh mi

I'd be cut if burwood road was all gozleme
& kebab shops but it's not, all noodle houses.
Lack of diversity, burwood used to be rich
with fobs & wogs. It's all Chinese now

I'd be cut if burwood road was all gozleme
& kebab shops but it's not, all noodle houses.
Lack of diversity, burwood used to be rich
with fobs & wogs. It's all Chinese now
Chatswood the same hey

I don't like Viet bakeries

Other than the bahn mi which are amazing but the pies and stuff, from my experience are always no good.

Chatswood the same hey

I don't like Viet bakeries

Other than the bahn mi which are amazing but the pies and stuff, from my experience are always no good.

It's shit, I want to move lol. My mother was
an refugee and father an immigrant but
I wanna shut the gates. 200,000 Indian
guests are coming soon, a lot of them
with fake diplomas and work for cash. This
country is a mess. Pisses me off lmao

You'd have to be nuts buying something anything built in the last 25 years...
And it's not just apartments

📸 Watch this video on Facebook

My old company managed Opal towers in Olympic park... That places reputation has turned to shit & those owners have lost millions.... Who'd buy there now?
The repair bill is now in excess of $50m

Aost 5 years to the day

There's a YouTuber called "site inspections", it's a building inspector documenting all the crappy workmanship in new builds.
You'd never build after watching a few of his vids.
Really entertaining.
This work is a shemozzle and non compliant!

It's shit, I want to move lol. My mother was
an refugee and father an immigrant but
I wanna shut the gates. 200,000 Indian
guests are coming soon, a lot of them
with fake diplomas and work for cash. This
country is a mess. Pisses me off lmao
Burwood, Strathfield and Ashfield have changed so much. Like you say new migrants are displacing previous migrants. My ex Koren GF went back she ses no future here.......it's almost like the Koreans of Strathfield are displaced by a new batch. Things were good before the pandemic but now this is a joke.

750k immigrants this year. That's around 1000 people a day in Sydney alone. I talk to some of them.....they ask me how we afford to live here because they are battling to survive.

They bring them out straight into poverty and use them. Nearly whatever they make goes to college courses, immigration lawyers and fees rent and food and many still don't have residency here after 10 years. Probably the government preferred they leave after 10 years or so, so they are entitled to nothing. As for us locals, we are dragged down with them.

There is little diversity now. One struggles to find Western shops or even a Cafe. Groceries are becoming a problem unless your happy with frozen.

Notice now pubs and clubs are slowly dying out. Who will go? The new arrivals aren't into these things as much even if they could afford them. Things were busier night life wise in the late 80s. Can see cricket staying very popular due to the migration from the subcontinent but RL may not be a majority sport in Sydney in the future.

When migration is slower you get the new arrivals retaining their culture and adopting some of ours. There is a mutual respect and diversity but with such a flood whole areas become one culture and they feel just like home in a way.....and don't adopt much while we feel like outsiders in our own suburb.

Last edited:
There's a YouTuber called "site inspections", it's a building inspector documenting all the crappy workmanship in new builds.
You'd never build after watching a few of his vids.
Really entertaining.
This work is a shemozzle and non compliant!
Trouble is they are too expensive and if someone buys and they have issues, it's not like a house where you can do much yourself.

And just when you think you've paid it off and retired the building may be condemned.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN
Not in burwood where I'm from.
They pay in cash. No tax or super
They kicked out the Vietnamese...
Got to go ashfield for a banh mi
Ashfield a massive dive now.

Most of the shops on Liverpool Rd look like monthly tenancies now, or vacant.

Dad lived there in 1955 when he came out. Says it was busier then with loads of cafes, milk bars restaurants and 2 cinemas. He says standard of living was loads better then.

Many Chinese pay cash, straight from home. They send their kids to study here and get it in that way. Not like they take out a mortgage.

I suppose if there is a war with China they don't know who owns what. That's why they move their money here. There is no registry.

Last edited:
There was 2 Chinese restos in Ashfield when I was growing up, the Polish club and that was as far as our international experience went except for the Greeks and Egyptian in the hamburger/pinball joints

Really is spot the Aussie now in ashie and burwood

Where? Please let me know where?
The Viets don't do bakeries anymore
They got pushed out. Ur not from here
Where? Please let me know where?
The Viets don't do bakeries anymore
They got pushed out. Ur not from here.
Get outside Burwood. You sound like the bubble you live in is really getting you down. Flemington/Homebush West gets me down sometimes too.

I have lived in Sydney my entire life and have a direct involvement with my community. Do not tell me I'm not from here.

Burwood to Ashfield is what, 3km? Oh no, you've got to go to the next suburb for a Viet bakery and a butcher. There's one there on Hercules Street (bery average banh mi) in Ashfield and true, there was one just up from it, on Liverpool Road, but they closed once the new apartment blocks were built around 2018.

There are two butchers around that area of Ashfield too, my preferred is 'B for Butcher'.

Further west of Burwood I guess the next Viet bakery is Flamin Roll. That is a classic and Vicky there is a champ. There are two butchers in Flemington too plus everyone at the friggin Markets. The bakery in Homebush is European and has never been Viet from what I can remember.

Finally, and for [This word has been automatically removed]'s sake, let's not pretend like people weren't taking cash in hand back in the 50s. My grandparent's owned one of the first European deli's in Newcastle and defo cut corners if it helped them.

Go have a sook to the ATO and police if you have an issue with your community.

Great, now this thread has turned into bakeries and butchers. Come back Brooks, all is forgiven, we have nothing left to complain about.

There was 2 Chinese restos in Ashfield when I was growing up, the Polish club and that was as far as our international experience went except for the Greeks and Egyptian in the hamburger/pinball joints

Really is spot the Aussie now in ashie and burwood
Right, before it was all dagos and they looked like Aussies, so it didn't feel so scary.

Right, before it was all dagos and they looked like Aussies, so it didn't feel so scary.

It's not scary dimwit. Aussies are like aliens
out here, hard to spot. Whenever I see a
white person here I want to ask them if
they're lost lol. It's not about some immigrants
replacing others, or bakeries & butchers -
more to do with how we sold everything.

Get outside Burwood. You sound like the bubble you live in is really getting you down. Flemington/Homebush West gets me down sometimes too.

I have lived in Sydney my entire life and have a direct involvement with my community. Do not tell me I'm not from here.

Burwood to Ashfield is what, 3km? Oh no, you've got to go to the next suburb for a Viet bakery and a butcher. There's one there on Hercules Street (bery average banh mi) in Ashfield and true, there was one just up from it, on Liverpool Road, but they closed once the new apartment blocks were built around 2018.

There are two butchers around that area of Ashfield too, my preferred is 'B for Butcher'.

Further west of Burwood I guess the next Viet bakery is Flamin Roll. That is a classic and Vicky there is a champ. There are two butchers in Flemington too plus everyone at the friggin Markets. The bakery in Homebush is European and has never been Viet from what I can remember.

Finally, and for [This word has been automatically removed]'s sake, let's not pretend like people weren't taking cash in hand back in the 50s. My grandparent's owned one of the first European deli's in Newcastle and defo cut corners if it helped them.

Go have a sook to the ATO and police if you have an issue with your community.

Great, now this thread has turned into bakeries and butchers. Come back Brooks, all is forgiven, we have nothing left to complain about.

IDGAF about bhan mi. I used it as an example.
I'm not pocket checking other people either,
I hope they live long prosperous lifes.
I mentioned earlier I would feel the same
if it was all european/turkish/Arab shops.
Nobodies having a sook, I'm just talking
about what I see and how I feel about it

Burwood, Strathfield and Ashfield have changed so much. Like you say new migrants are displacing previous migrants. My ex Koren GF went back she ses no future here.......it's almost like the Koreans of Strathfield are displaced by a new batch. Things were good before the pandemic but now this is a joke.

750k immigrants this year. That's around 1000 people a day in Sydney alone. I talk to some of them.....they ask me how we afford to live here because they are battling to survive.

They bring them out straight into poverty and use them. Nearly whatever they make goes to college courses, immigration lawyers and fees rent and food and many still don't have residency here after 10 years. Probably the government preferred they leave after 10 years or so, so they are entitled to nothing. As for us locals, we are dragged down with them.

There is little diversity now. One struggles to find Western shops or even a Cafe. Groceries are becoming a problem unless your happy with frozen.

Notice now pubs and clubs are slowly dying out. Who will go? The new arrivals aren't into these things as much even if they could afford them. Things were busier night life wise in the late 80s. Can see cricket staying very popular due to the migration from the subcontinent but RL may not be a majority sport in Sydney in the future.

When migration is slower you get the new arrivals retaining their culture and adopting some of ours. There is a mutual respect and diversity but with such a flood whole areas become one culture and they feel just like home in a way.....and don't adopt much while we feel like outsiders in our own suburb.

You articulated the situation better than
I ever could. Whole inner west is a dive now

Latest posts

Members online

Back