Tigers should drop Benji: Fittler

clokan

Rugby league great Brad Fittler says the Wests Tigers have to consider dropping Benji Marshall after an abysmal display against Gold Coast on the weekend.

Marshall, who is expected to announce he has signed with Super Rugby team the Auckland Blues later today, made four runs for 19 metres against the Titans, missed three tackles and made two ineffective tackles on Sunday afternoon.

"He didn't put his body on the line at all," Fittler told Sportsfan's Clubhouse. "He could have played a part in stopping at least four tries.

"If they (Wests Tigers) were going on how he played they would (drop him) because he was terrible.

"His form is as bad as it has been, obviously there is a lot on his mind."

Fittler though did point out that dropping Marshall could destroy the confidence of the young players called up to replace him.

"They could bring in a guy like Luke Brooks, who has never played first grade," Fittler said. "Or Mitchell Moses is a really handy player, although he is quite small and a bit lean at the moment, but they have both come off pretty heavy injuries.

"I reckon they should bide their time and throw one on the bench every now and then… because unless their forwards are going forward, all you are going to do is break their confidence."

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/tigers-should-drop-benji-fittler/tabid/91/newsid/109764/default.aspx

Some common sense by Freddy. Personally, I would not even have them on the bench as there is no need to send these lambs into another slaughter.

I am quite content to wait until the pre-season for them to see some action. Six months means a lot of filling out and strength for a teenager.

Fittler wants Benji dropped. Fulton doesn't…. Hmm, wonder whose judgement I'll trust on this one. (Hint it's Fulton)

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@wtigers said:
Fittler wants Benji dropped. Fulton doesn't…. Hmm, wonder whose judgement I'll trust on this one. (Hint it's Fulton)

Well Fulton's a much stronger player than Fittler was. Oh wait, he wasnt.

Im with Freddy, we should drop Benji, the big issue is finding a building tall enough to do it from.

@Black'n'White said:
Im with Freddy, we should drop Benji, the big issue is finding a building tall enough to do it from.

Agree.

His time is almost up. We cant make semis sending a message by dropping him will mean benji will be forever remembered for leaving WT on very bad terms (overrides the good times) vs ordinary form on field where finals cant be made (but wooden spoon must be avoided)

I loved benji but to see such a great player play like he did last week was so terrible. please benji show a bit of pride and remember the fans you are bigger than that rubbish

The worst part for me is that your marquee players should step up when the team is struggling.

Benji goes hiding, won't run, won't tackle. Farah always puts in but tries to do too much at times.

The saddest part of all this is that so many are treating him as if he was a novice just waiting to have a good one.

The thing to remember with all the benji nostalgia is we can't keep talking bout what he did in the past and how he will b remembered its bout what he can and will do for us now ! And there isn't much there . He is just another player who is not performing drop him

It's quite unbelievable how bad he is getting each week…his mind isn't on football.
Potter wants him to come good as we all do but I just don't think it's going to happen.

If a Harold Matts player did half the stupid things he does in a game he wouldn't finish the game let alone get selected the next week.
I don't know how but I hope he turns it all around this week having settled his future.

Back