We need one home?

FTR i'm not saying the Tigers should 'abandon' Leichardt, just that the long-term future has to be in question due to the state of the ground, regardless of our record there or the numbers it draws

After the redevelopments skoda stadium (next door to ANZ) will fit 25000 supporters. I think 4 games there instead of the sfs would be ideal. Geographically good with great facilities and parking also should be a good ground to watch footy out of
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

grounds can be fixed up , we just need to band together with the club and get the state gov to kick in , as for Hellman its not just about wests supporters its about all of us and crowds are important

Im really happy with the multiple home grounds. Big drawing games to held at the SFS with out of Sydney teams playing is at either LO or Campbelltown.

One area that does need addressing is the ticketed membership. Its no good having structured and inflexible packages; they need to bring back the paper tickets that you can use at any home ground. For instance, there are some times that I have paid for a ticket but cant make the game at LO, but could have made the SFS. Therefore I cant go and its a waste of money.

@tiger4ever said:
shane your wrong but keep that excuse going…..so if they dont play any at c-town it wont bother you....yeah right.

I don't care. Campbelltown isn't much better. Yet still it IS better. ANZ for everything I would prefer.

Even though I live closest to ANZ, I hope we never return to that hellhole.

We should take all our games to North Sydney oval, change our strip to red and black and call ourselves the North Sydney Bears!
\
\

@chuckie said:
Im really happy with the multiple home grounds. Big drawing games to held at the SFS with out of Sydney teams playing is at either LO or Campbelltown.

**One area that does need addressing is the ticketed membership. Its no good having structured and inflexible packages; they need to bring back the paper tickets that you can use at any home ground. For instance, there are some times that I have paid for a ticket but cant make the game at LO, but could have made the SFS. Therefore I cant go and its a waste of money**.

Its not a waste of money for the club, which is why they changed it

It also prevents one with 4 tickets membership taking 3 friends to one game, or their family….all need memberships now

@innsaneink said:
@chuckie said:

**One area that does need addressing is the ticketed membership. Its no good having structured and inflexible packages; they need to bring back the paper tickets that you can use at any home ground. For instance, there are some times that I have paid for a ticket but cant make the game at LO, but could have made the SFS. Therefore I cant go and its a waste of money**.

Its not a waste of money for the club, which is why they changed it

It also prevents one with 4 tickets membership taking 3 friends to one game, or their family….all need memberships now

Ill tell you something; it is a waste of money for the club because I wont be renewing next year. Ive got a few mates who didnt even renew this year for the same reason.

Anyway, who cares if a member is using their tickets to shout a friend or family member to watch our great team? maybe they'll like it so much they'll keep coming back, maybe as you say as a member themselves one day.

Mate, Im with you….I usually get the 4 or 6 game pack...my missus works w/ends most times but occasionally shes off, she used my ticket to come last year....cant do that no more

Its all about the $$$$, the supporter is secondary no matter what spin they put on it, just look at the $65 ''membership'' (ground entry to LO more like it) for Rd1 this year

@helmesy said:
It's a tired old debate we are having here.

Fact - Leichhardt, despite its generally outdated facilities will continue to be a WT's home ground in at least the short and medium terms.

Fact - Campbelltown - Will most likely always host WT's games.

If, down the track we cant get Leichhardt up to a more suitable standard, being a joint venture between Balmain and Wests the Balmain half of the joint venture will most likely be represented by home games at the SFS.

That's the way it is, accept it or find another club to follow.

Best post because it is 100% correct. Both grounds currently meet the needs of the club, however if/when season membership rises into the 20,000 - 30,000 range, there will be issues if the capacity of both grounds does not increase.

@Gary Bakerloo said:
@helmesy said:
It's a tired old debate we are having here.

Fact - Leichhardt, despite its generally outdated facilities will continue to be a WT's home ground in at least the short and medium terms.

Fact - Campbelltown - Will most likely always host WT's games.

If, down the track we cant get Leichhardt up to a more suitable standard, being a joint venture between Balmain and Wests the Balmain half of the joint venture will most likely be represented by home games at the SFS.

That's the way it is, accept it or find another club to follow.

Best post because it is 100% correct. Both grounds currently meet the needs of the club, however if/when season membership rises into the 20,000 - 30,000 range, there will be issues if the capacity of both grounds does not increase.

But isn't this an issue that nearly all Sydney clubs would face?

I feel that is irrelevant GNR… I dont really care how other Sydney Clubs manage thier operational demands of ground capacity or memberships.

Gary is 100% right. When the demand is greater, unless both/either ground can secure funding to increase capacity, both will become redundant.

We averaged 23k last year at the SFS for 5 games... I wonder what our average crowds could of been for all games if we played all the games at the SFS???

Love/Passion will only get you so far in life!!!

I disagree …. I believe we need two homes ... Lei chart and Campbelltown and play 6 x 6

In trying to compare crowds at different grounds, it is almost impossible to compare like with like. There are so many factors leading to how many people will attend:
Which day of the week?
Team form
Weather
Opponent
Special occassions

Yes, Leichhardt Oval has had higher crowd averages over the life of the Wests Tigers when compared with Campbelltown (13,639 vs 13,018).

But looking at which day of the week the game is on, different grounds have better averages. Campbelltown actually has higher averages on Fridays (14,513 vs 13,382), Saturdays (11,628 vs 9,172) and Mondays (15,080 vs 13,988). Leichhardt has a higher average on Sundays (15,542 vs 12,700). Mind you, the number of games on each day are noticably different.

Another factor affecting the averages is how many games are played at each ground each year. When we were playing 6 games at each, the crowd average was much smaller. Playing fewer games means it is more of an event to go to Campbelltown or Leichhardt, because if you miss one, you have a long wait to the next one. So averages could be swayed if more games are played on a given day. So I wanted to compare averages year on year as well as by weekday. But that starts to cut the pieces to small. There just isn't enough data to give any meaningful results. As a compromise, I've grouped results in 5 year bands:

**Campbelltown
Friday** 14,513 (9)
2000-2004 15,003 (4)
2005-2009 13,623 (2)
2010-2014 14,454 (3)

**Saturday** 11,628 (9)
2000-2004 10,650 (6)
2005-2009 10,488 (1)
2010-2014 15,132 (2)

**Sunday** 12,700 (29)
2000-2004 10,044 (18)
2005-2009 16,713 (9)
2010-2014 18,555 (2)

**Monday** 15,080 (4)
2000-2004
2005-2009 15,314 (3)
2010-2014 14,378 (1)
**Grand Total 13,018 (51)**

**Leichhardt
Friday** 13,382 (3)
2000-2004
2005-2009 13,382 (3)
2010-2014

**Saturday** 9,172 (13)
2000-2004 7,307 (9)
2005-2009 15,185 (1)
2010-2014 12,760 (3)

**Sunday** 15,542 (30)
2000-2004 12,846 (17)
2005-2009 18,670 (9)
2010-2014 19,961 (4)

**Monday** 13,988 (5)
2000-2004 10,807 (1)
2005-2009 14,874 (2)
2010-2014 14,693 (2)
**Grand Total 13,639 (51)**

Out of all this analysis, there are two points I believe:
1\. There is hardly any real difference between the crowd numbers at the two grounds.
2\. We are better off having multiple grounds so we boost attendances. Even going back to the 6/6 split, crowd numbers will probably fall at each of Leichhardt and Campbelltown. Going to one venue for 12 games will be much worse in my opinion.

@Tiger Watto said:
I feel that is irrelevant GNR… I dont really care how other Sydney Clubs manage thier operational demands of ground capacity or memberships.

Gary is 100% right. When the demand is greater, unless both/either ground can secure funding to increase capacity, both will become redundant.

We averaged 23k last year at the SFS for 5 games... I wonder what our average crowds could of been for all games if we played all the games at the SFS???

Love/Passion will only get you so far in life!!!

You only need to look to the bulldogs crowds, compare what they get now and what they used to get at Belmore. The thing is is that the dogs and even souths now are up there wanting to and actually are competing with the broncos off the field. Clubs like us are just happy to compete with other Sydney clubs.As long as were doing better than the sharks and penrith were alright.
If we had of moved to one stadium 10years ago we would be in a much stronger financial position and all this wests v balmain crap that still rears its head would be dead and bury. We'd actually be one club.

@Juro said:
Out of all this analysis, there are two points I believe:
1\. There is hardly any real difference between the crowd numbers at the two grounds.
2\. We are better off having multiple grounds so we boost attendances. Even going back to the 6/6 split, crowd numbers will probably fall at each of Leichhardt and Campbelltown. Going to one venue for 12 games will be much worse in my opinion.

That is a pretty good analysis. I would be interested to know the standard deviation of the the crowd sizes for each ground. I would expect Leichhardt to be higher - ie: bigger highs & larger lows than C'town.

One conclusion to draw is that is that the fans obviously love Leichhardt on a clear & sunny Sunday afternoon, however most likely due to a lack of covered seating, the crowds are lower when conditions don't suit, particularly in the evening. Campbelltown appears to be more versatile and this would stem from having more seating.

I started this post with the view that to be bigger and stronger we need one ground. I prefer the SFS. Sadly many people are missing the point. When Sheens and Benji retire in the future, our club may return to its early merger days. Do it now while we can attract the attention and dollars.
\
\

Members online

Back