Wests Tigers Coaches

Sheens can adapt to changes in the game. the other coaches mentioned have a style that they fear veering away from. If you cannot evolve with the sport then you cant be successful and the Storm and Chooks are perfect examples.

100 percent

I agree to a certain extent, I think the huge upside in Sheens has and will always be his ability to implement a nursery and bring talent through, that's something he has always done at every club he's coached here in Australia successfully, in England I'm not too sure about any youngsters he elevated to top grade. His coaching days are well past him, but his main appointment in Tiger town was to rebuild the pathways and start a production line of Tigers juniors, which is his strong suit. He's only coaching because we got turned down by Ciraldo and who knows who else.

Seems the blind faith in coaches with poor rosters continues with some. Good quality jumiors will help maintain a successful club, but our lack of success in FG will threaten our ability to keep them. Someone needs to make a difference cause this has been the worst year I can remember and two decent signings is not going to elevate us when we still have to compete with clubs that are miles ahead of us.

I agree to a certain extent, I think the huge upside in Sheens has and will always be his ability to implement a nursery and bring talent through, that's something he has always done at every club he's coached here in Australia successfully, in England I'm not too sure about any youngsters he elevated to top grade. His coaching days are well past him, but his main appointment in Tiger town was to rebuild the pathways and start a production line of Tigers juniors, which is his strong suit. He's only coaching because we got turned down by Ciraldo and who knows who else.
I agree mate that Sheens is keen to rebuild from grass roots.
I think the best thing about Sheens in the past is he has a track record if getting under performing clubs to the top.
He brought Penrith to their first finals series ever in 1985 and he coached the Canberra Raiders to their first premiership in 1989.
Sheens won further premierships with Canberra in 1990 and 1994.
In 2002, Sheens accepted the coaching position with the Wests Tigers for the 2003 season, replacing Terry Lamb.
The feat of the Wests Tigers winning the 2005 Grand Final against the Cowboys has been largely attributed to Sheens.
Sheens has coached four premiership winning teams, making him second only to Wayne Bennett among current coaches.
Sheens was awarded the Dally M Coach of the Year in 1984, 1990 and 2005.
On 3 May 2010 Sheens became the first coach in Australian rugby league history to reach 600 games.
He hasn't had it all his way though with some average results thrown in both here and in England.
His regime is one of the best and some here have driven the nail in before he has started coaching again in Oz.
He was hell bent in announcing that a coach had to be appointed first before signings, this is because the coach owns the roster.
This is probably why resignings and recruitment is slow.
It must be a nightmare trying to get started on the right foot.
He has categorically stated that we are not going to pay overs and get into cap problems and pathways is the go.
So far we've seen a steady sprinkle of young guys getting a taste of NRL.
Having said that you need a good foundation to build a house and Api and Papa are not enough IMO.

Is anyone like me in that hoping in a sick way that we get the spoon so the silver lining may be the board gets shafted? I know I am.

Mmmm…..

I would love to see the board removed but getting the wooden spoon every year for the next decade would not change them.Sadly the majority are not directly accountable to anybody

I would love to see the board removed but getting the wooden spoon every year for the next decade would not change them.Sadly the majority are not directly accountable to anybody
Well, let’s face it, we deserve the spoon. I actually reckon the Tigers haven’t got long left before we’re relocated.

Is anyone like me in that hoping in a sick way that we get the spoon so the silver lining may be the board gets shafted? I know I am.

Mmmm…..
I understand your sentiments but the tag of wooden spooners will never ever be wiped from NRL honour dishonour boards.
When my mates have stuck the knife into me for being a WT supporter I still have a comeback about their teams winning wooden spoons and we haven't. 👍

Members online

Back