Wests Tigers Coaches

No one

Mining, law enforcement, etc.
Mostly do 12 hour shifts, Max.

Sometimes people may do a double shift if no other option, 16 hour.
I'm not sure what the average age is on this forum, but if you're in your 30s or 40s today and in a management/leadership position, you will work a standard 40-hour week and then do 10+ hours extra preparing for the next week in order to manage projects and your staff.

Work-life balance is huge, and we all want that. If Benji can solve that problem by turning up 3 hours late and the Tigers make the eight this year, he'll be a guru and should start a lifestyle TikTok channel.

I highly doubt it though.

I'm not sure what the average age is on this forum, but if you're in your 30s or 40s today and in a management/leadership position, you will work a standard 40-hour week and then do 10+ hours extra preparing for the next week in order to manage projects and your staff.

Work-life balance is huge, and we all want that. If Benji can solve that problem by turning up 3 hours late and the Tigers make the eight this year, he'll be a guru and should start a lifestyle TikTok channel.

I highly doubt it though.
My role is fluid. Some weeks I'll do a standard 40, others I'll be checking out early because things are accounted for, other weeks I'll work 60-70 hours.

I would think that a footy coaches role is pretty regimented though. There's the same demand and output required every week. Unless you're trying to reinvent the game I would expect that you need to put the same amount of work in every week win, lose or draw because preparation involves your opponent as well as you and their form and performances will always have to be analysed against your own.

I will be happy to proven wrong but I do not see Marshall succeeding as the coach. If he was our attack coach last year, then I expect no improvement in this area as they played exactly the same way in the trial against St George. Marshall should have surrounded himself with experience coaches not mates from 2005.

I am not looking for a reinvention of a full blown attack structure but if you are struggling to score in the opposition 20m zone, then you are struggling with attack concepts as a coach.
Personally, I just would like us to attack with width and intent (strong purposeful running - outside shoulder, different angles etc) and so much more intent and desire in defense. Not asking much just some player desire which stems from how you are coached and trained.
I have yet to see any of the photos or feedback from people on here to say these boys have trained the house down over the summer. Lots of photos of laughing, which they wont be if their performances continue in this manner.
I really hope I am proven wrong but I doubt it. Here is to another potential long season.

I think his hours will increase when the season starts. You can only do so much in the off season but once your playing games he'll be driving himself nuts thinking about how to improve things or deal well underperformers. His mind won't be able to switch off.

But of a worry and concerning though not surprised... The timing of this is very handy as well for a disgruntled ex whoever... A. Couple of days before our first game... It can.be kept alight if we're are 0-2 or 0-4 in a month but if we're 1-1. Or have won a coulle in 6 weeks this all goes away

Pretty sure thought I heard him on redio a few years ago saying he wasn't interested in coaching... He's had no apprenticeship as we all know... But happy to change his mind if he could start at the top with out a few years base work with juniors

People said we couldn't get worse than. 17th after finishing 16th in '22.
Finishing 17th winless would be worse than 17th and 4 Ws

I must confess i haven't seen the interview. I guess as a head coach his job is to have a plan in place and all the assistants are there to carry out the different facets. We have continually heard about it being more about man management than anything else.
There's an old saying about there being no point having a dog if you're going to do all the barking yourself. Maybe that's Benji's way

It does seem a little concerning in the traditional sense of coaching, but then again, all we have been fed through the pre-season is about the increase in standards that have been set and in most cases ( bar Noffo) met.

The whole thing is a bit confusing, on one hand the players are "buying in" on what Benji is selling. On the other, he turns up to training hours after others??
Lets just hope we win some games in this first 6 weeks or it's going to be another stinker of a year.

Latest Behind the Roar podcast

With John Morris

Enjoy
Very intelligent . Interesting the commentary around what everyone has been saying killed us against the dragons in that trial ie. the collision . Shit preparation , maybe a too relaxed camp , failure in technique , and more importantly a recognition of these facts, and a clear accountability around it .
I gotta say , I was impressed Because thats just all the talk he can say in a public forum .
At the very least with this whole thread , there’s one adult in the room . But I’m pretty confident there’s a lot more .

Very intelligent . Interesting the commentary around what everyone has been saying killed us against the dragons in that trial ie. the collision . Shit preparation , maybe a too relaxed camp , failure in technique , and more importantly a recognition of these facts, and a clear accountability around it .
I gotta say , I was impressed Because thats just all the talk he can say in a public forum .
At the very least with this whole thread , there’s one adult in the room . But I’m pretty confident there’s a lot more .
The question is why?
He totally failed his job. Can we expect that to occur regularly this season?

The question is why?

Yet, it sounds like it's a full on slap in the face "hey guys, we need to up our game".
John is either doing 2 things here:
1. writing his resume for a head coaching job.
2. Trying to get the rest of the coaching team onboard with his vision on why they failed with the dragons.

I don't think he wants to knife Marshall, it's not his style. I think this is an honest slap in the face, either to Marshall or to the playing group. Get your crap together guys.

Yet, it sounds like it's a full on slap in the face "hey guys, we need to up our game".
2. Trying to get the rest of the coaching team onboard with his vision on why they failed with the dragons.

I don't think he wants to knife Marshall, it's not his style. I think this is an honest slap in the face, either to Marshall or to the playing group. Get your crap together guys.
He's the defensive coach.
That was the worst defensive effort since the Cowboys game.
He's hardly in a position to critique the other coaches.

Nah mate, I'm not bagging him.
I'm just pointing to the old glass houses saying.
I don't really give any weight to the trials. Let's see how we defend when it means something.

It’s really down to self analysis. I would hope that the players have looked closely at their own performances in the trials.
A coach develops the game plan but it’s really up to the players to deliver. Not everything is the coaches fault.
We need to monitor the first few games and see if the team is up for it !
I’m a little worried whether John the Pom is ready to play, another stunted pre season.
Should be fired up against his old team in Canberra but will wait and see.

I made the classic mistake of believing what was written before I listened to it.
Now that I have all i heard was him talking about how the areas he controls could be improved and what went wrong in that regard against Saints.
There was no "slap". There was only praise for his fellow coaches.
Imaginitus is rampant on here.
There was just an analysis of what needs to be done better defensively.

?? He’s the defensive coach ? The only person who needs a slap is him ….

The question is why?
The collision is all about intent . If you need a 42 year old man to tell you to rip in ,then there’s bigger issues than that , to mention that’s complete buck passing and zero accountability.
The players didn’t get up for the game , and only have themselves to blame . Is there’s reasons? Sure ! But ultimately it’s about each player being accountable for thier individual performances .
I’m just glad that , the clocking off happened in a trial ! It gives the coaches the best chance of turning it around . Rather than the middle of the season .

The collision is all about intent . If you need a 42 year old man to tell you to rip in ,then there’s bigger issues than that , to mention that’s complete buck passing and zero accountability.
The players didn’t get up for the game , and only have themselves to blame . Is there’s reasons? Sure ! But ultimately it’s about each player being accountable for thier individual performances .
I’m just glad that , the clocking off happened in a trial ! It gives the coaches the best chance of turning it around . Rather than the middle of the season .
Exactly !!! Well put L.

Back