Why don’t our forwards go forward?

bbobb

Watching games over the weekend and especially the forwards from other teams. It struck me and a mate that the Tigers have a lot of tallish players with slimmer builds (Twal, Clark, Eiso, Garner, Seyfarth) but when you look at other teams, they have more stockier built forwards who seem to be able to roll forward. They can be tall but are just thicker set (JWH, Hamlin-Uele, Fonua-Blake).

I have been trying to understand why we don’t go forward and think there is a certain sameness to our pack. I don’t think it’s a lack of effort but while a rangy forward can be to tackle awkward one-on-one, they don’t seem to be able to maintain momentum with the gang tackling techniques used today.

Obviously we need to recruit forwards but do we also need to consider the body shapes as well?

We have a average pack that gets dominated, all the other teams are bigger and faster. Same as most years I've followed Wests Tigers. ! Miss Gareth Ellis lol.

Need some big bodies on the bench, that new guy from parra will help as well if the Bunty rumours are true.

Our strength and conditioning department has done a poor job with this group.

We’re not the fittest team and we’re not the strongest team. Why not? Afraid to work harder & smarter than everyone else?!

Last night was the perfect example. Scummy pamfers didn’t look bigger than our lads. But they were fitter, faster and stronger

Because our club see's the "pack" as just prop forwards... We actually go alright in props, we are terrible across the "pack".

Against Penrith, you dont get beaten in the middle by Tamou and co, you get beaten by Fischer-Harris, Kikau and Yeo.

Against the Roosters Hargreaves is a beast but he isnt opening you up, he is condensing the middle and Cordner and Touponuia are making incisive runs for quick PTB and getting them rolling...

You can do this with all the Top teams, prop forwards arent tearing teams up, its the locks and backrowers who get access to smaller players because the props have demanded respect in the early hit-ups.

We dont play that way... we continue into the ruck for 4 hit-ups, where we have condensed the big bodies and get hammered for lack of vision. We play skinny in the middle. We pull their big bodies into the ruck and then stupidly run directly to them the whole set most times.

Twal, Aloai, and Mikalele, are actually a set of very respectable props. Twal at lock is a defensive move, but he isnt in the same ball park as locks at the top performing clubs, an outstanding prop though, he can hold his own with the top guys at 8 or 10.

Find a lock.... and then a half who can run our hookers once they read the ruck has condensed.

I think that many are forgetting that Penrith has possibly the largest junior nursery. There is a lot to choose from. If fact the nucleus of the current Penrith team is largely made up of the 2015 Under 20's winning team. Wests Tigers to me appears to be a poorer version of Roosters who have a very small junior nursery.

Pamfers forwards hunt in a pack at speed
Our plodders just jog it up and run into the ruck one out trash time after time .

@Geo said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217714) said:
70, 55, 83, 43, 94, 33, 19, 35 supplementary’s 34, 16…

only 45 numbers in lotto...

@Geo said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217714) said:
70, 55, 83, 43, 94, 33, 19, 35 supplementary’s 34, 16…

⬆️↗️➡️↘️↙️⬇️⬅️↖️↕️↔️

@Newtown said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217695) said:
I think that many are forgetting that Penrith has possibly the largest junior nursery. There is a lot to choose from. If fact the nucleus of the current Penrith team is largely made up of the 2015 Under 20's winning team. Wests Tigers to me appears to be a poorer version of Roosters who have a very small junior nursery.

We have a huge nursery

Aloiai,Musgrove and Packer at his best were missing with Twal playing as a lock when he is a prop, just sayin

Our forwards were dominated by Penrith. They had 3-4 players in each tackle pushing our players backwards. Then when the ball went out the backs they were just passing along the line, like they do in under 6's. We were so flat footed and slow.

You can say it any way you like but the fact is that Aloiai sometimes, and Mikaele even less, are our only 2 middles that can actually make a dent against any teams pack. None of our guys regularly show the aggressive intent, mobility, skills or smarts to get us on the front foot. It is such a fundamental aspect of building a game for your attack to play off. We will never win games against the top sides until we sort this out. Not having the types of game breaking players in our roster that can make something out of nothing also doesnt help us to turn the momentum of a game when we lose it.

In the last few years, it has taken a single prop forward from the opposition team to take us on and we've crumbled. I miss the days of Blocker, Sirro, McGuire, Brooks (the good one!!).
Other thing I've noticed is that we also are typically very flat. I hardly see anyone hitting the line at some speed and with some venom.

We need an experience old fashion prop. James Tamou or Aiden Tolman. Yes not much available.

Bunty from Warriors could be good.

Hope the big bopper from Parramatta is part of the solution.

@gallagher said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217719) said:
@Newtown said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217695) said:

We have a huge nursery

Yeah but we only grow dope

@Magpie1969 said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217807) said:
We need an experience old fashion prop. James Tamou or Aiden Tolman. Yes not much available.

Bunty from Warriors could be good.

Hope the big bopper from Parramatta is part of the solution.

Tamou yes, JWH yes, Fanua-Blake yes, Tolman no thanks (I've been watching him lately and really not up to 1st grade anymore). What i want and what we'll get are two different stories tho.

@hobbo1 said in [Why don’t our forwards go forward?](/post/1217708) said:
Pamfers forwards hunt in a pack at speed
Our plodders just jog it up and run into the ruck one out trash time after time .

I liked the part where our play the balls were 10 metres behind the spot scummy cummins called held hahahahaha

Back