A Call to action - Rozelle Village

Black_amp_Gold

Hi All,
\
\
I was just on the phone to Ben Elias and I asked him a few questions regarding the Rozelle Village development. He is extremely confident that the development WILL go ahead despite efforts by the greens to prevent it.

He added that he needs ALL of the Balmain, Wests and Wests Tigers faithfull (particularly those who live in the area) to submit a form of support via the Rozelle Village website. I have just completed mine.

Instructions are below.

1: http://www.rozellevillage.com.au
2: HOVER over 'public exhibition' which is found on the top horizonal menu
3: Click on 'Exhibition documentation & Feedback'
4: Click on 'NSW Planning & Infrustructure Major Projects Assessment'
5: A new page will open up. Scroll down to the bottom, fill in the details and send your submission.
\
\
The good news is that Benny expects it will go ahead but he insisted on everyones support. We owe it to our club.

Good day all.

As a Balmain Tigers supporter, I am very worried about the club and our clubs business arrangement with the people from Rozelle Village. I have followed the Balmain Tigers for many years and am a member of the club.

Our club has had a lot of dissapointments in the last few years and I miss the club which used to be here at Rozelle. I am also a local resident and have lived in Rozelle for many years. During the last few weeks our club and the local newspapers have released a proposal for a huge big new 32 story tower on our former club site.

I was astounded to learn how little space our club will actually be getting in the new arrangement and it seems our club is going from worse to worse. I can't believe the leadership of our club would even support this proposal when the club is getting so little space out of it and that by recomending it to us, how much problems with car traffic it will generate to our families. The area is very densely populated already and many of us have small children.

In our family, we wont be supporting the construction of the tower in Rozelle. We want our club back in Rozelle but not at this cost to the community.

Thankyou.

@Balmain Supporter said:
As a Balmain Tigers supporter, I am very worried about the club and our clubs business arrangement with the people from Rozelle Village. I have followed the Balmain Tigers for many years and am a member of the club.

Our club has had a lot of dissapointments in the last few years and I miss the club which used to be here at Rozelle. I am also a local resident and have lived in Rozelle for many years. During the last few weeks our club and the local newspapers have released a proposal for a huge big new 32 story tower on our former club site.

I was astounded to learn how little space our club will actually be getting in the new arrangement and it seems our club is going from worse to worse. I can't believe the leadership of our club would even support this proposal when the club is getting so little space out of it and that by recomending it to us, how much problems with car traffic it will generate to our families. The area is very densely populated already and many of us have small children.

In our family, we wont be supporting the construction of the tower in Rozelle. We want our club back in Rozelle but not at this cost to the community.

Thankyou.

I am also a Balmain Tigers supporter, and a life long resident of the Rozelle area, three streets away from the former club site and proposed development site. I respectfully disagree with your statement above that this will destroy (my words not yours) the community.

For a long time the area has been in a major state of decline, particularly on the Rozelle side of Victoria Road. The community feel which previously existed when Balmain and Rozelle were known as a working class area is gone. The area lacks basic services and retail, which this development provides in abundance. People lose perspective of the size of the club due to the size of the residential area (which personally I think is fantastic, but I'll get to that). The club is never going to be able to operate successfully at the size it was previously, that is a reality of the clubs industry in the inner city. I think the club as will hopefully stand is the perfect size.

On the size of the whole development, it is a sign of the times. Sydney needs high density development in its inner suburbs to take the stress off the western suburbs and the lack of infrastructure out there. This provides that, and brings our club back to its home. The Balmain Leagues Club isn't getting raw deal out of this, they are getting exactly what they need and more. I personally think the leadership shown by Mr Trodden, Mr Rooney and their board has been spectacular to guide the club through the biggest threat in their history.

On your comment about the area being already densely populated, I think that is completely the wrong attitude. Everyone needs to be reminded that if it wasn't for a community accepting our own families when they moved to the area then we wouldn't be where we are now. You can't simply move to an area then say nobody else is allowed because I don't want them here, that's just wrong and self interested. The other reality, for me personally, is that I will never be able to afford a home in this area. This development offers 304 affordable opportunities for people like me and others who can't afford 2.5mil places to live in an area like this on an established infrastructure and transport route. I love living here, and if this development goes ahead it means I still can.

I want the club back at the Rozelle site, like pretty much everyone and I think this development is the perfect opportunity for that, as well as a rejuvenation for a dying community which seems to be in denial about change.

While not being accustomed to inner city living wouldn't affordable high density living give the whole suburb a shot in the arm, more kids by younger parents could also equate to more Junior Tigers running around.
I presume there is green space around Rozelle where the 'possible' junior recruits could congregate that they then would be able to pursue kid like activity without upsetting any loopy left wingers of the political kind, not RL?.

Ah I remember getting phone calls from Benny when he was running for the board. Now it's like he hardly knows me… In any event he's right and there needs to be some counter weight to the NIMBY Greenie lobby. Tigers are really going all out on this to the point where it has taken over the entire website.

@Balmain Supporter said:

Thankyou.

Yeah cause who wants to lose stunning beauty like this:

![](http://www.gerardcole.com.au/images/uploads/products/m_217.jpg)

@Balmain Supporter said:

Thankyou.

the development was supposed to support the tigers future by providing a revenue stream i thought?!?!

the area is densely populated? its inner city, what did you expect? parks every couple of blocks and kids kicking the ball around on a quiet Victoria and Balmain Rd.

people need to be realistic and pull their heads out of the smoke denser urban living closer to the city is the way to go, look at any other major international city for proof.

Shouldn't topic this be in the balmain & wests sub forum?

Or maybe the passionate and vocal people here should be told to move on and stop living in the past??? According to quite a few here, we are WT and the Magpies and balmain are dead and don't have anything to do with wests tigers… so does that mean balmain supporters (stated in previous posts on this very topic) should be told to move on and get over keeping the leagues club alive??

Balmain and the future of its leagues club is just as important as any issue related to wests
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@wtfl1981 said:

Or maybe the passionate and vocal people here should be told to move on and stop living in the past??? According to quite a few here, we are WT and the Magpies and balmain are dead and don't have anything to do with wests tigers… so does that mean balmain supporters (stated in previous posts on this very topic) should be told to move on and get over keeping the leagues club alive??

Balmain and the future of its leagues club is just as important as any issue related to wests
\
\

Zzzzzzzzz you bitter bitter man.

Hold on I have just woken up I'm looking for the violin.

@wtfl1981 said:

\
\

I'm sure it was just an oversight by the OP. No need for high horses, the opening sentence was sufficient surely?

@wtfl1981 said:

\
\

Zzzzzzzzzz here we go again.

Hold on while I get my violin.

@wtfl1981 said:

\
\

At this point in time the Balmain Leagues club (as is Wests Ashfield et al,) is important to WT operations, at the very least in the short term it's pertinent to WT.

Next time you want to take disguise a pot shot, how about putting a thicker veil on it?

I think some people are currently feeling what its like to be told that your feelings, comments and expressions are not appreciated or deemed relevant to WT

Passions bring out a lot in people. Forums are a method of expressing it.
\
\
\
\

@GoldXR50Leroy said:
While not being accustomed to inner city living wouldn't affordable high density living give the whole suburb a shot in the arm, more kids by younger parents could also equate to more Junior Tigers running around.
I presume there is green space around Rozelle where the 'possible' junior recruits could congregate that they then would be able to pursue kid like activity without upsetting any loopy left wingers of the political kind, not RL?.

Familys with kids would be in the minority…the asians love this stuff though

I am a long term Rozelle resident. I was at the Balmain Town Hall meeting last night. I am 100% in favor of the proposed re-development. No one in favour of the new Club was allowed to speak on the official programme. When it was my turn to talk from the floor they turned off the mike and said question time was over.
The opposition to the redevelopment is not simply the Greens. Indeed, many Green voters support the redevelopment.
ALL of the Leichhardt Council ([Greens, Labor, Liberal and independent) oppose the current redevelopment.
PLEASE get onto the Balmain Tigers club and tell them to fire up and PUBLICLY get behind the redevelopment.
This is important because the NIMBY Rozelle Residents Action Group are saying that the Balmain Tigers club will not necessarily even be in the redeveloped skyscraper.
\
\
\

Sheens calling Balmain leagues 'our club'… I thought WT was operated separately to all the leagues club and football clubs

Interesting!

[www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em)
\
\

@wtfl1981 said:
Sheens calling Balmain leagues 'our club'… I thought WT was operated separately to all the leagues club and football clubs

Interesting!

[www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em)
\
\

Yeah well people can watch the clip and make up their own minds. That's not what he said.
\
\

Benji Marshall used the terms "our supporters" and "our members". Why not get stuck into him to wtfl1981?

Back