Australia Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just been reading about Indigenous Peoples Day which is celebrated in the USA in October each year. It originally started as an alternative position to Christopher
Columbus Day( which is also celebrated in October) which celebrates the first arrival of non indigenous people to America ( NB he was actually Italian not Spanish).
In addition the Yanks have Thanksgiving Day which is a major celebration of the arrival of the British and what they brought with them to the new land.
And of course, the big one is 4thJuly, American Independence Day when they ditched the British and went alone ( still to happen here).

My point with all this, let the Indigenous People have their own day, let all others have Australia Day, and get ready to vote yes to a Republic next time we’re asked!
thanks to Anthony Oversease and the Voice referendum can't see a Republic referendum in the next 20 years
It is not easy under Albanese

Given Australians are clearly a big pack of sooks, I propose 24th of January as a day when we can all come together for a big sook, reflect on all the varied ways of sooking, sooking from different perspectives etc. Just a real true blue celebration of crying.

what a load of bollocks this whole thing is . It has and never will have anything to do with the date . It’s about virtue signalling , moral superiority. And very little else . Change the date and the same thing will keep happening .
Also for someone who wore the flag every day of my life , my love isn’t to a flag made up some 50 years ago or a date voted on some 30 years ago . It’s about the country , the people , and how awesome it all is . The rest is just white noise and nonsense .

what a load of bollocks this whole thing is . It has and never will have anything to do with the date . It’s about virtue signalling , moral superiority. And very little else . Change the date and the same thing will keep happening .
Also for someone who wore the flag every day of my life , my love isn’t to a flag made up some 50 years ago or a date voted on some 30 years ago . It’s about the country , the people , and how awesome it all is . The rest is just white noise and nonsense .
Australia is a nanny state...just going to get worse.

Given Australians are clearly a big pack of sooks, I propose 24th of January as a day when we can all come together for a big sook, reflect on all the varied ways of sooking, sooking from different perspectives etc. Just a real true blue celebration of crying.
Nope - 24th Jan is my Wedding Anniversary. I chose that day so that I wouldn't forget that something important was happening around the Australia Day holiday. If we remove it (26th) I am stuffed.

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
Nope - 24th Jan is my Wedding Anniversary. I chose that day so that I wouldn't forget that something important was happening around the Australia Day holiday. If we remove it (26th) I am stuffed.
You know that's tomorrow.
I hope you've sent your wife out to buy her own card so you don't get in trouble tomorrow.
It works for me.

One of the best posts in this whole thread. I celebrate Australia Day internally. Have never waved a flag, worn flag thongs or done anything demonstrative. It's just the day I reflect on how good it is to be Australian and, despite its flaws, how I love my country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

We had it. It just wasn't a big deal.
It only really became a huge thing during the bicentennial, before that we just enjoyed the public holiday.
Yeah same here. Don’t remember much hoo ha about it when I was a kid, later on it was just another one of the long weekend public holidays I used as an excuse to go camping and get on the turps with friends.

The bicentennial definitely changed something, then later on again after the Cronulla riots debacle it sort of became a day for yobbos to wave their huge flags and flex their muscles every year. Started to turn me off at that stage and now even moreso with this whole push to cancel it altogether. Australians themselves over the past 40 years have somehow managed to totally ruin (for me anyway) what should simply be a commemoration of our beginnings as the nation we are today.

I’ve just been reading about Indigenous Peoples Day which is celebrated in the USA in October each year. It originally started as an alternative position to Christopher
Columbus Day( which is also celebrated in October) which celebrates the first arrival of non indigenous people to America ( NB he was actually Italian not Spanish).
In addition the Yanks have Thanksgiving Day which is a major celebration of the arrival of the British and what they brought with them to the new land.
And of course, the big one is 4thJuly, American Independence Day when they ditched the British and went alone ( still to happen here).

My point with all this, let the Indigenous People have their own day, let all others have Australia Day, and get ready to vote yes to a Republic next time we’re asked!
At my age I am all for more public holidays let's have a Aboriginal public holiday and also one for the Chinese who came over for the gold rush they did alot for the country as well and let's not forget the Greeks and Italians who came in the 50s 60s and the polish with the snow mountains

But in all seriousness let's have 3 Australia days

Both sides of the debate are American imports.
Flag worshipping is an American import.
But self-loathing of your own history and culture is also an American import.

They've marginalised and split us.

I'm sure the Davos crowd at the WEF pushing globalisation will be happy.

As time goes on we are losing our distinctive Australian culture and are becoming more.like America.

In the 70s and 80s especially Australia had such a strong, diverse but distinctive identity through a plethora of music, film and TV shows lifestyle, cars and sports and it's increasingly American now.

Hardly a decent band or film these days and look at the inroads American sports are making.

The biggest losers of course will be Aboriginals as their raw culture promoted in film and music gets drowned out.

Then the rest of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back