Charlie Staines #262

he seems a strange character, got footy nouce,coach in the future ?

6 weeks at the back to prove he wants it , doesn’t need to be a world beater just body on the line , and run it back hard and Catch every bomb

I'm on board with this. Give him some time there to grow and we may just reap the rewards.

I wonder what our fullback situation would look like if Staines stayed at 1 the last two weeks after his Dogs game.

His effort week in week out warrants a reward and he has definite upside as a fullback, so give him 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm on board with this. Give him some time there to grow and we may just reap the rewards.

I wonder what our fullback situation would look like if Staines stayed at 1 the last two weeks after his Dogs game.

His effort week in week out warrants a reward and he has definite upside as a fullback, so give him 4 to 6 weeks.
Yep. moving Players constantly won’t help
Staines at Fullback
Brooks at 5/8
Laurie. At 7
kepaoa. At 4
Bring in young James and lock him up ( use from Bench for a while let him force his way in )
Simpkin , use as Appi / Brooks / Laurie cover
Pappi , Bateman , Blore. Back row
Pole impact from bench , same as Lenui from Penrith

In a bad season, I've been very impressed by Staines. He's nothing flash but his effort and the way he puts his body on the line is really impressive. Plays smart and has had few errors. I think he's our best option at fullback and I'm excited to see how he goes. If our halves learn how to pass I'm interested to see how he goes with his own passing game. Also one of the few good support players on our team.

In a bad season, I've been very impressed by Staines. He's nothing flash but his effort and the way he puts his body on the line is really impressive. Plays smart and has had few errors. I think he's our best option at fullback and I'm excited to see how he goes. If our halves learn how to pass I'm interested to see how he goes with his own passing game. Also one of the few good support players on our team.

I keep going back to how Dylan Edwards was early in his career and think we could do a similar thing with Staines. Edwards was terrible for years, no one would work out how he kept his spot, but Penrith knew he had a crazy work ethic and sticking by him paid off. IMO Staines is ahead for Edwards' starting point, so if we stick with him and he works just as hard as Dylan did, I can see it really paying off.

I keep going back to how Dylan Edwards was early in his career and think we could do a similar thing with Staines. Edwards was terrible for years, no one would work out how he kept his spot, but Penrith knew he had a crazy work ethic and sticking by him paid off. IMO Staines is ahead for Edwards' starting point, so if we stick with him and he works just as hard as Dylan did, I can see it really paying off.

He is certainly our best hope for fullback,Bula could also make it but that is probably a 2025 possibility and a winger chance for 2024

He is certainly our best hope for fullback,Bula could also make it but that is probably a 2025 possibility and a winger chance for 2024
When I read 2025 I was thinking thats ages away... but really.. 2 more years hahah..

Hope we see Bula somewhere in the team this year.

Last edited:
Bula needs a good FB in front of him right now so he can Learn and develop without him being rushed. Like the roosters do with their FB’s. Staines coming good would be great for us. We need to get slater here to coach them give him whatever and then work on getting Cronk here for the halves when we have sim.

Staines needs to find his voice at Fullback for the defensive structure, otherwise he has been good in an otherwise crap start to the season. He has pace and if he can inject himself into the backline or around the ruck we can start to look like a football team.
Laurie is on the outer and I would suspect that is to do with his attitude if reports are correct that he liked on social media another team scoring against your own team. That along with his Penrith jersey and scooter incident says to me he is not getting picked unless we have massive injuries.
Bula has plenty of natural talent like Sloan from the Dragons, however needs to bide his time and learn the fullback role and also find his voice to reach his full potential. I agree a few games on the wing this year would help him develop

Hope they show up on Monday and provide us with a Win as it is desperately needed and would shut up a few on NRL 360 who would end up unemployed if the Tigers finally wake from the decade long hibernation.

Staines needs to find his voice at Fullback for the defensive structure, otherwise he has been good in an otherwise crap start to the season. He has pace and if he can inject himself into the backline or around the ruck we can start to look like a football team.
Laurie is on the outer and I would suspect that is to do with his attitude if reports are correct that he liked on social media another team scoring against your own team. That along with his Penrith jersey and scooter incident says to me he is not getting picked unless we have massive injuries.
Bula has plenty of natural talent like Sloan from the Dragons, however needs to bide his time and learn the fullback role and also find his voice to reach his full potential. I agree a few games on the wing this year would help him develop

Hope they show up on Monday and provide us with a Win as it is desperately needed and would shut up a few on NRL 360 who would end up unemployed if the Tigers finally wake from the decade long hibernation.
A win would be great but look at last year, two in a row and we were on our way, DOWN.
It would be a start but we need to improve up the table by year end.
And not from 17th to 16th ( taking Dolphins entry into account) but more like 11-12, at least.

A win would be great but look at last year, two in a row and we were on our way, DOWN.
It would be a start but we need to improve up the table by year end.
And not from 17th to 16th ( taking Dolphins entry into account) but more like 11-12, at least.
Agree 100%

We need to break the duck and imagine the pressure on the Slimey eels if they were 1 and 5 like us. We have the BYE the week after next and they have the Dogs so jump them even for a week at least.

Yep. moving Players constantly won’t help
Staines at Fullback
Brooks at 5/8
Laurie. At 7
kepaoa. At 4
Bring in young James and lock him up ( use from Bench for a while let him force his way in )
Simpkin , use as Appi / Brooks / Laurie cover
Pappi , Bateman , Blore. Back row
Pole impact from bench , same as Lenui from Penrith
I would like to see this tried at least for a few games

Latest posts

Back