Cronk - Roosters Official..

bigsiro

**Is anyone else here completely stupefied that we haven't made a really serious play at Cronk?**
The most influential position in Rugby League is the halfback and we have arguably had the competition's weakest for 4 years and likely at least a few more.
Meanwhile, the best halfback (bar JT) is looking at offers and we stay silent? **WTF!**

Side note: please let's not make this an argument about Brooks. Like the rest of us, I badly wanted for him to blossom and despite better judgment I was actually pleased we re-invested in him by re-signing him. It was romantic and with wholly good intention. But he hardly developed and we can blame other factors (like no forwards, poor coaching, anything) but we need to face up the fact that the investment in Brooks has not paid off. Nor is it looking like paying off, and we are stuck with him for the near future.

But we don't need to be.

* Cronk would fix our kicking game.
He would be a half who could commit to tackles.
He would be a leader.
He would call plays. Actual plays that might come off.
He is a winner.
He has experience.
He has an unbelievable work ethic.
He isn't flashy, but he would bring the crowds.
He would have to be THE best possible person to influence our youngsters.

I honestly can't think of any negative. Even one year of Cronk is better than the alternative.

Please don't tell me we don't have the cap space. If Roosters, Broncos, Sharks can find a way to pay their players then so can we.
If you can guarantee Nathan Cleary is coming here then that would be one thing, but in the interim why in hell haven't we thrown the bloody chequebook at this guy! It honestly beggars belief.

He might want a glamour club, but make him an offer he just can't refuse! Pay overs! Pay anything!

Tigers getting him, or at least making a real play, would signal real intent and give us fans something to truly be excited about. Cronk is something else. It would mean so much.

Tigers management we implore you.

I thought the exact same for a while. Cronk struck me as a guy who would want a new challenge. He has literally achieved everything there is in Rugby League on multiple occasions. What is the point of going to a club like the Roosters? They have no real fans, no real heart, they are just a glamour club who are close to buying another premiership…

Then I remembered he played at Melbourne his entire career. He doesn't care about fairytales or real challenges. He will take the easy route to another premiership ring.

I agree with you completely bs, but who knows if we haven't already made him an offer and he just plain refused it? He seems pretty intent on joining the Roosters or perhaps even Cronulla - teams that already have good rosters and where he can just settle in with rep players all around him.

If you’ve only ever driven a BMW convertible would you ever consider a Kia as your next car…?

If Cronk joins WT, I will finally renew my whole families membership after promising myself not renew till things started to improve.

Whilst Cronk is a good player, no doubt, im just not sure he is the next immortal that some make him out be be.

He is not going to play on at a 'weaker' club, because he just isntvthat good and im sure he and his management know that.

He can only do things one way, and when he doesnt get good service or play behind a big pack, he is no different to others. He has benefitted greatly from playing in thatvteam in this era. Made him look way better than he is, and good on him for that.

I doubt we have the cap space. If he announced he was playing on when he announced he was leaving the Storm, while the "big 4" weren't signed, I'm sure we'd have thrown the kitchen sink at him. Instead, he heavily implied he was hanging the boots up. Even Pascoe amd Cleary came to that conclusuion in one of their Q&A's. As a result we went out and spent most of our cap.

@ said:
I doubt we have the cap space. If he announced he was playing on when he announced he was leaving the Storm, while the "big 4" weren't signed, I'm sure we'd have thrown the kitchen sink at him. Instead, he heavily implied he was hanging the boots up. Even Pascoe amd Cleary came to that conclusuion in one of their Q&A's. As a result we went out and spent most of our cap.

Spent it all on who? Reynolds, Matulino, McQueen and Fonua?
You believe that? We don't even have one marquee player. There is just no way I can fathom that we have spent our mythical "cap " while Roosters, Broncos, Sharks et al still have space. Give me a break.

@ said:
@ said:

You believe that? We don't even have one marquee player. There is just no way I can fathom that we have spent our mythical "cap " while Roosters, Broncos, Sharks et al still have space. Give me a break.

Tactical Payment Alternatives

@ said:
@ said:

Add Packer - the price you have to pay when you are trying to get off the bottom of the ladder.

I would love Cronk to play for a struggling side, put this "is he really any good?" nonsense to bed. It's like when Bennett took over Dragons and Knights…yes he is a god, no maybe not a god but still quite good, wait he's back at Brisbane... yes he's a god again.

Cronk's only interested in going somewhere he can win straight away. If he was after a challenge why would he be signing for the Roosters? His agent probably told the Tigers not to bother.

@ said:
Cronk's only interested in going somewhere he can win straight away. If he was after a challenge why would he be signing for the Roosters? His agent probably told the Tigers not to bother.

and we should not be bothered with Cronk…I reckon he will not live up to his "Storm form" mainly because he will not have Smith and Slater supporting him..watch him come back to the field in 2018 wherever he plays

@ said:
@ said:

The clubs you name are all sucessful. Players will happily take less to play with them. We have to pay overs. One of the inconvenient truths about being a struggling club.

I dont see him wanting another challenge. I think he knows he'd be stupid to turn down another 600, 700, $800k for one more year.

I think he'll play the market and see what his biggest offer is.
Obviously a strong club and roster will have an influence, but i just think he's looking to throw another half a mil into his savings account, whilst being in Sydney with his fiance.

I think any lower ranked club would be mad to pay big bucks for one year only. He wont bring a premiership to a struggling club. So big NO THANKS for the Tigers.

Although a team like the Roosters could almost buy a grand final win with him as they have most of the pieces of the puzzle already.

Personally I would love to see the Roosters pay a fortune for him only to have their squad riddled with injuries (nobody specific :wink: ).

@ said:
**Is anyone else here completely stupefied that we haven't made a really serious play at Cronk?**
The most influential position in Rugby League is the halfback and we have arguably had the competition's weakest for 4 years and likely at least a few more.
Meanwhile, the best halfback (bar JT) is looking at offers and we stay silent? **WTF!**

Side note: please let's not make this an argument about Brooks. Like the rest of us, I badly wanted for him to blossom and despite better judgment I was actually pleased we re-invested in him by re-signing him. It was romantic and with wholly good intention. But he hardly developed and we can blame other factors (like no forwards, poor coaching, anything) but we need to face up the fact that the investment in Brooks has not paid off. Nor is it looking like paying off, and we are stuck with him for the near future.

But we don't need to be.

* Cronk would fix our kicking game.
He would be a half who could commit to tackles.
He would be a leader.
He would call plays. Actual plays that might come off.
He is a winner.
He has experience.
He has an unbelievable work ethic.
He isn't flashy, but he would bring the crowds.
He would have to be THE best possible person to influence our youngsters.

I honestly can't think of any negative. Even one year of Cronk is better than the alternative.

Please don't tell me we don't have the cap space. If Roosters, Broncos, Sharks can find a way to pay their players then so can we.
If you can guarantee Nathan Cleary is coming here then that would be one thing, but in the interim why in hell haven't we thrown the bloody chequebook at this guy! It honestly beggars belief.

He might want a glamour club, but make him an offer he just can't refuse! Pay overs! Pay anything!

Tigers getting him, or at least making a real play, would signal real intent and give us fans something to truly be excited about. Cronk is something else. It would mean so much.

Tigers management we implore you.

You implore - We don't implore because I don't implore.

How do you KNOW WE DID NOT MAKE AN OFFER?
How do you know we were not rejected?
How do you know that Cronk may not be in Cleary's plans for the future of the Tigers?
How do you know that Nathan Cleary may not be coming when his Penrith contract runs out?
How do you know that Cronk would be a good fit with Reynolds?

I'll tell you - YOU DON'T!!!!

Too many ifs and buts an maybes - I suggest we let Cleary work it out.

Personally I don't want him - he relies on Smith far too much and as we couldn't sign both - forget it.

Let the Rorters have him - don't want Pearce either if they let him go because they sign Cronk.

I am happy with Brooks. (not an argument, just a statement from a Tigers fan).

Back