OFFICIAL Harold Matthews Cup

A forgettable second half sees Wests win 16-8. Lots of errors from both teams and Dragons' big pack got on top in the last 15.

Schaufhausen-Mino some good runs along with some big hits. Outstanding goal line d from Keppie and Makasini. Karnib an all round good game.

Laulili'i looked good, but seemed to overplay his hand a bit. Karnib had some great moments, nearly feel like he is wasted on a wing. I was surprised how little ball went towards the left side of the field (Large, Makasini, Oitmann). Went there twice in 2nd half. One ended in a try and the other with Oitmann dropping the ball over the line.

Can't be on fire every week, and the fact they dropped so much ball and had to grind out a win mostly on defence is a good thing.

SG Ball boys are defending like demons. Saints having all the ball but are trailing.

Disappointing that they played so poorly when we had the match streamed.

Large sure has a big boot on him. There was a penalty in the second half when Wests were on back foot and he booted it at least 50m and we scored shortly after. He only ran the ball once all match though.

Karnib was solid in attack and defence when called upon.

But much else to report. Isdale has potential but took a number of poor options, as did everyone though.

Still not bad to win scrappy when you don't play well

On the other side of the ledger, I was impressed by the entire Saints back row (Latu, Halangahu and Stanley-Traill).

Given Canterbury beat this Dragons team in quite a tight game last round, and are also undefeated, the Dogs would seem to be one of the sides to beat.

I saw comp favourites Sydney Roosters edge out Parra in round one and thought they were very scratchy. They followed this up yesterday (without Fittler), with a heavy loss to Canberra. So I’m not sure what’s going on with them.

Looks to be a very even comp in 2023 👍

Can anyone who was at the ground yesterday explain the shocking goal kicking attempts?
0 from 7 in HM

Wests HM was a very interesting watch over the weekend.

Aside from Schaafhausen-Mino (who is a great prospect) and occasionally Kohan Lewis, the forwards were dominated by a bigger and more mobile Dragons pack. the class in the Wests backline and halves continually gets the side over the line, but it makes for an ugly watch on occasion.

Ali Karnib is wasted on the wing. his ability to break tackles and score tries is exciting, and his passing game is well developed for a 15 year old. obviously Laulili'i is the captain and rightly the fullback, I wouldn't be surprised to see the two switch as they get older. very keen to see how Karnib develops and eventually plays in the 1, most likely next year.

Makasini had a poorer game by his standards compared to last week, but still did enough to create space for Oitmann who scored two tries and looked very good. Gallagher was the pick of the backline players outside of Karnib and his ability to unlock Karnib down the right edge was excellent.

Large and Isdale were a little quieter than last week, but still had some decent moments. Large can put the ball high in the air off the boot and really put pressure on the opposite fullbacks. His game awareness is also excellent, and Oitmann's second try was down to his ability to identify an overlap and give Makasini early ball on the outside of his opposite as quickly as he could. Isdale tends to play short to his backrower but a few of the passes were telegraphed. His long kicking game was excellent and on a faster track would've had a couple 40/20s.

My view is that if you put the majority of the 1-7 of Wests HM and the 8-17 of Wests SG Ball together with guys like Saukuru, Lene, Sukkar and Feledy (plus "older" heads like Utoikamanu, Blore, Papali'i, Pole and Matamua) in the side then you have a side that will win a comp by 2030. I'm deadset too. the talent of the backs in HM and the forwards in SG is incredible. providing we hold onto them we're in a very good place talent-wise.

Large was 0/4 sideline conversions
Conti kicked 3/3 for Balmain Tigers
In the HM game Large missed 4 from 4 and the Dragon dude missed 3 from 3.
Was wondering if it was really windy or something?

In the HM game Large missed 4 from 4 and the Dragon dude missed 3 from 3.
Was wondering if it was really windy or something?

All out wide and it was hot & dry bro,
Don't think Large had one kick from
the same side x2 in a row. It was right
touchline, left, right & left again I think

What’s the score nsw app isn’t loading properly
App just updated. Looks like we scored first with Fuatimau on the wing. Up 4 nil.

Interesting that Fuatimau has come into the side for Oitmann. Oitmann looked quick and was also a part of the emerging Blues Camp with Fittler at the end of last year. Could be a forced change with injury too though.

Back