OFFICIAL Harold Matthews Cup

One other interesting thing i remember from the Matts game was that we never kicked for touch when receiving a penalty. Even when getting a penalty on our own 20m, we tapped and ran.

Seemed a very odd decision, especially considering the big boot on Large and the hot weather, would have given the big boys a breather....

Must have been a deliberate tactic, maybe trying to tire out the middles. I'd have thought field position could have done this too though

Watching the girls currently.
No match for Raiders.
20-4 but could be lots more.

Wests started terribly this half.
3 line breaks and a try.

28-14 full time….Scoreline flattered the Maggies.
They were comprehensively beaten by a far classier outfit. Only some crucial dropped ball and/or forward passes from the Raiders prevented a 40+ score line. They bombed 2 tries in each half through poor execution rather than Wests defence.
Thought the fullback and the halfback both tried hard.
Large looked skilful but didn’t get involved anywhere near enough. Pretty lazy player…disinterested?
The rest were ok. No one threw the towel in. Wingers both had a go.
These blokes were way off Canberra’s pace though and found themselves scrambling all game.

They were comprehensively beaten by a far classier outfit. Only some crucial dropped ball and/or forward passes from the Raiders prevented a 40+ score line. They bombed 2 tries in each half through poor execution rather than Wests defence.
Large looked skilful but didn’t get involved anywhere near enough. Pretty lazy player…disinterested?
These blokes were way off Canberra’s pace though and found themselves scrambling all game.
Thanks for all your updates today, despite the results

Those are the games you want your halves to take the line on a couple of times then really give the forwards a serve

Large is 15. Give him some time.
That kid could be anything. He was clearly the most naturally classy player on the field. His passing was silky smooth and accurate. He seemed to have more time than others to decide on which runner to hit. He also glided around the field. A bit Lockyer-esque dare I say it.

He may need some self belief. When the game started getting away from them, I thought he may start running it and taking them on. Instead he sort of sat back and let others try and get the team back into it. A big contribution from him for the final 15 may have kickstarted a comeback.

Great Matt’s Cup clash this Saturday at Wests spiritual home, Lidcombe Oval. The competition‘s best halfback Toby Rodwell goes head to head with the highly thought of Alex Conti. The Roosters coming off a loss to Illawarra will be fired up, and Zach Fittler has been scoring tries for fun in 2023.

This will be a huge test for Balmain. 🤔

Needless to say, I’ll be at Penny Park watching Wests 🤣

Latest posts

Back