Immortal announcement

@Marshall_magic said:
@tiger sean said:
All the Qld'ers having a cry, get over it and just admit you hate Johns.
Joey was one of the most complete players ever and was well deserving of his award.
The others who missed out will get their turn.

Spot on, it's been said a hundred times that the sole criteria is what the player did ON the field. It's not as though all the other immortals were saints off the field, Johnny Raper anyone?

Its funny Fields and MacGuinness get bans for drug taking

Johns gets made an Immortal

Whats the difference ???? Someone might want to explain hows Johns never got caught out if he was doing it all his career

Even other greats get pulled up post career Lance Armstrong for example

Protected species Happy.

NSW were calling him the best player ever before he had even retired.

@happy tiger said:
@tiger sean said:
Joey was one of the most complete players ever and was well deserving of his award.

Sean I have said he was a great player so where you get I hate Johns is laughable

I'm that angry at the moment about this , I'm seriously considering switching my son to another code

I don't want a person who admittedly took drugs during his career and gets rewarded for doing it being a possible role model for my son

Just proves how out of touch that the powers that may be are out of touch with the community

Call me a wowser if you like , but only once I ever drank within 24 hours of a game and that was so I could get myself on the bus when two mates died driving over to a game the night before

Your point is a fair one Happy and I understand where you are coming from.
But like others have said this award is based purely on onfield performance.

If you are looking for good role models in rugby league you probably should look elsewhere.
Most successful players generally have had some problems off the field, none of them are perfect.

@stryker said:
Protected species Happy.

NSW were calling him the best player ever before he had even retired.

Yeah I know Stryker ,Johns couldn't lead his side to beat a third rate Qld side coached by Fatty Vautin of all people

Yep thats an Immortal

Wonder if Jamie Goddard thinks he is an Immortal or just a punching bag ??

what i dont get is how can someone be considered "the best ever player" and in the team of the century, making him the best player in his position..yet not be considered an immortal? thoroughly deserved his induction tonight

you cant include the off field discretions as we dont have access to what folk from the 1900s-1980s were getting up to.

joey has been by far one of the best and most influential players i have ever seen. newcastle without him were rubbish, it was amazing how much one player could change a team.

he deserved it.

Great club player + reasonable rep player + admitted drug addict does not = immortal status.

Johns rarely shone on the rep arena in fact on many occasions he was kept out of rep sides by players in the no.7 jersey.

One of the best club players ever
Not in the top 10 at Origin level.
Not in the top 50 at Test level

@habibsta33 said:
what i dont get is how can someone be considered "the best ever player" and in the team of the century, making him the best player in his position..yet not be considered an immortal? thoroughly deserved his induction tonight

Wally Lewis is easily the best player I have seen in my era

Johns isn't even the best player of his era , he couldn't even get a start in his preferred position at SOO or playing for Australia at one stage

Sort of throws your "best ever player" theory in the incinerator

Correct me if I'm wrong but he won 3 dally ms, lost a 4th because of the head slam that made him inelligible despite polling the highest points, was unbackable favorite for the one the players boycotted. 5 years as the best player on ground. How many Rothmans medals/ dally Ms did mal win. It is undeniable he was the best player of an era.
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:
@tiger sean said:

Spot on, it's been said a hundred times that the sole criteria is what the player did ON the field. It's not as though all the other immortals were saints off the field, Johnny Raper anyone?

Its funny Fields and MacGuinness get bans for drug taking

Johns gets made an Immortal

Whats the difference ???? Someone might want to explain hows Johns never got caught out if he was doing it all his career

Even other greats get pulled up post career Lance Armstrong for example

I'm sure you could go through hundreds (maybe even thousands) of players over the last twenty years who have gotten away with taking drugs - its only recently that they have really cracked down on it… joey was lucky and must have known how to beat the tests and/or had tips on when they'd be testing. maybe the players you mentioned weren't as smart?

Meninga was a great player but at the same time was he the best in his position???… Many say it was rigged by qld to make him in team of the century... Regardless he deserves to be immortalized one day(I would say inglis will eclipse him)
Johns was the best halfback to have played the game and argued against Wally by some as the best player
Wally had some issues got sacked etc and didn't have the awards or premierships of others but was a great and well ahead of others on ability and performance regardless of "resume" ....why isn't johns viewed the same?

Since johns career he has used his experienced with drugs and bipolar to create awareness and educate others.
His actions don't deserve to be forgotten but they do deserve to be forgiven because at the end of the day he manned up and put his hand up for what he did when he could have easily lied
\
\
\

@happy tiger said:
@habibsta33 said:

Wally Lewis is easily the best player I have seen in my era

Johns isn't even the best player of his era , he couldn't even get a start in his preferred position at SOO or playing for Australia at one stage

Sort of throws your "best ever player" theory in the incinerator

lol it doesnt throw anything out the window, infact it could be argued it shows his versatility… how many coaches have played players out of position?
he was EASILY the best of his era. only folk with grudges influencing their decisions would disagree. he was a freak.

@900large said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but he won 3 dally ms, lost a 4th because of the head slam that made him inelligible despite polling the highest points, was unbackable favorite for the one the players boycotted. 5 years as the best player on ground. How many Rothmans medals/ dally Ms did mal win. It is undeniable he was the best player of an era.
\
\
\

Just amazing isn't it 900large

And tell me how he beat all the drugs tests that the players go through ??

Lance Armstrong got stripped of all his titles

Melbourne Storm got stripped of all their titles

So why has Andrew Johns not been stripped of anything , if anything been rewarded ??

I think one day we will find that corruption in the NRL has been going on for a very long time

Even the referee of the 1963 GF is openly acknowledged to have placed bets on the Saints

Look at all the shocking refereeing decisions that have happened recently

I know you Mexicans think the RL world is solely NSW's and no one elses Admit it Johns was a drug cheat who because he was a good player was given free rein by the NSWRL and the ARL and probably had numerous tests "disappear" or samples that weren't his used

@900large said:
\
\
\

Noone is saying he wasnt amazing at club level, he won his side many games personally. However if I was to name my selection of halves at rep level, Joey would not make my top 5 list.

In no particular order:
Sterling
Langer
Stuart
Jones
Thurston

all had far bigger impacts on the game.

In my mind, Joey was good until he played with or against guys of his talent level.

MTD

Wally Lewis played inside centre in the Australian Schoolboys Rugby union side

His SOO debut started with him as a lock

And he was 6 until very late in his career

The only other players in the modern era , who can say they have done that at the highest echelons are Fittler and Ellery Hanley

Thats why I rate Fittler higher than Johns

I rate Freddy higher as well.He was great at all levels for a long time.

In fact last week they replayed the 2000 semi between Newcastle and Roosters. All through the broadcast, the commentators - Gould especially was stroking Joeys hair and calling him the best etc…In the end the Rossters won because Fittler went to another level and guided his team home. Johns tried to do the same but failed. Freddy easily outplayed him...even reading Joeys passing game for an intercept try off him.

Pretty good reaction. Not as spectacular as I had hoped. Not nearly as much anti-NSW, they think the game is all theirs, woe is us good Queenslanders sentiment as I expected although Stryker did start to touch on it.
Happy by far the most entertaining. Love it when you get the bit between the teeth and unload a Happy rant. The bit about the dialogue between you and your son was gold, "Well my son". Fantsastic stuff. Started my morning off on the right note.

![](http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/think-of-the-children.jpg)

@happy tiger said:
MTD

Wally Lewis played inside centre in the Australian Schoolboys Rugby union side

His SOO debut started with him as a lock

And he was 6 until very late in his career

The only other players in the modern era , who can say they have done that at the highest echelons are Fittler and Ellery Hanley

Thats why I rate Fittler higher than Johns

fair enough, i just disagree. johns re shaped kicking games, was solid in attack and defence. he took the game to new levels.

Back