Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure there is a Matt Moylan thread..

Oh look... https://weststigersforum.com/topic/30272/wests-tigers-keen-to-take-matt-moylan-off-cronulla-s-books

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087560) said:
Moylan has shown who he really is at the Sharks. Everyone banking on a so-called form reversal will be disappointed. His Panthers from was an aberration. Please believe him when he demonstrates who he really is and stop pretending he is a good buy simply because we can’t get anyone else.

Moylan had 8 try assists in 11 games at fullback last year. Thompson had 1 for the entire season (22 games of which 12 were at fullback).

@bigsiro said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087544) said:
@cqtiger said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087499) said:
Can someone explain to me what constitutes ‘overs’ for a fully fit player?

"Overs" is used by people to predetermine a player's potential value and sets a speculative anchor price.
It can only do so in a vacuum and by ignoring all market forces. e.g. there is no regulatory price on Latrell.

What something is worth to you, might have different value to me. There is the issue of quality, of need, of ambition, of resources, of scarcity, of supply and demand, plus other individual forces and market forces. Then there are the different weights that each of us give to those factors.
"Overs" needs so much contextual information for the average punter to work out actual value (there must be an algorithm out there!). So it's also hard for me to comprehend when people say e.g. someone is worth $700k but not $800k.

I think when someone says a certain amount is overs for a player, they have (at least tried to) consider all those factors you mentioned. Weighing them all up, for this club, at this time, that amount for that player... is overs. But yes it's all subjective.

@MtWarrigalTiger said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087553) said:
We shouldn’t sign Moylan,,,sign best young fullback (s) from under 20s

There's no such fullback in our under 20s.

@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087565) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087560) said:
Moylan has shown who he really is at the Sharks. Everyone banking on a so-called form reversal will be disappointed. His Panthers from was an aberration. Please believe him when he demonstrates who he really is and stop pretending he is a good buy simply because we can’t get anyone else.

Moylan had 8 try assists in 11 games at fullback last year. **Thompson had 1 for the entire season (22 games of which 12 were at fullback).**

Anyone defending Cory needs to read that stat line again and again and again until they realise just how poor a FB he is. Tries very hard and puts him body on the line...but nowhere near a modern day FB in terms of being a key part of a spine.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087586) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087565) said:

Moylan had 8 try assists in 11 games at fullback last year. **Thompson had 1 for the entire season (22 games of which 12 were at fullback).**

Anyone defending Cory needs to read that stat line again and again and again until they realise just how poor a FB he is. Tries very hard and puts him body on the line...but nowhere near a modern day FB in terms of being a key part of a spine.

What is the point of that comparative statistic when Moylan doesn't want to come here anyway.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087586) said:

Stats Shmats..............

before i make any judgement on Cory...i would rather wait until next season where he *might* be playing fullback..........and then see him in action and see if what u say it true...then i will make a decison about him........to early to be knocking Corey of just yet imo....pre season is still young

@TheDaBoss said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087588) said:

before i make any judgement on Cory...i would rather wait until next season where he *might* be playing fullback..........and then see him in action and see if what u say it true...then i will make a decison about him........to early to be knocking Corey of just yet imo....pre season is still young

Cory is almost 30 mate and he has no passing game.

He won't be suddenly turning into a ball player.

He is what he is...an undersized FB who runs really hard, tries even harder, but not elite in any key areas for a modern FB.

I like the bloke, wears the jersey with pride and seems to care.

But he is multiple classes below the ball playing FBs most teams have nowadays.

We have tried to get:
Latrell
Lomax
Moylan
Milford
Asked about Drinkwater...
DWZ

ALL FBs...so, obviously, the club also agrees Corey is not the right bloke for the role also.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087592) said:
@TheDaBoss said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087588) said:

Cory is almost 30 mate and he has no passing game.

He won't be suddenly turning into a ball player.

He is what he is...an undersized FB who runs really hard, tries even harder, but not elite in any key areas for a modern FB.

I like the bloke, wears the jersey with pride and seems to care.

But he is multiple classes below the ball playing FBs most teams have nowadays.

We have tried to get:
Latrell
Lomax
Moylan
Milford
Asked about Drinkwater...
DWZ

ALL FBs...so, obviously, the club also agrees Corey is not the right bloke for the role also.

He isnt to bad at wing either

able to commit himself

I agree with Wayne Rushton. I don't think they're doing anything wrong at all. He's got a contract for next year, there is no rush for him. He's gonna do whatever he can to ensure he's doing right by him and his family.

Moylan had 8 try assists in 11 games at fullback last year. Thompson had 1 for the entire season (22 games of which 12 were at fullback).

This is the point I was making the other day though - you can't just have a team of people who can generate try assists, you need some people that are actually the ones scoring the tries. I imagine if Corey Thompson had the options of : give it to Xerri, Xerri score; or give it to Morris; Morris score then he would've had a few more try assists to his name.

Moylan had 0 tries and 1 line break in his 11 games. Corey Thompson had 9 tries and 11 line breaks in his 22 games. Different players with different strengths. What does our team need more? Who knows...

@Nelson said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087602) said:

This is the point I was making the other day though - you can't just have a team of people who can generate try assists, you need some people that are actually the ones scoring the tries. I imagine if Corey Thompson had the options of : give it to Xerri, Xerri score; or give it to Morris; Morris score then he would've had a few more try assists to his name.

Moylan had 0 tries and 1 line break in his 11 games. Corey Thompson had 9 tries and 11 line breaks in his 22 games. Different players with different strengths. What does our team need more? Who knows...

Well, our spine needs another ball player desperately.

6 Benji: way, way down on his peak year assists and creativity
7. Brooks : teams can almost solely focus their defense on him if we do not have another ball player.
9: makeshift

We really, really need a 1 who can set things up and take pressure off Brooks.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087604) said:

7. Brooks : teams can almost solely focus their defense on him if we do not have another ball player.

Benji Marshall was 5th in the league for try assists last year (17 in 19 games) and Luke Brooks was 6th (16 in 24 games) so...not really.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087604) said:

You also need to factor in that LL is another ball playing option, playing as a second 5/8 in many respects with the ability to open defences. In addition, we have one of the slowest backlines in the NRL, adding another tortoise in Moylan because he can ball play has to be weighed against adding a fullback with genuine zip and x factor.

@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087617) said:
@Tiger-Tarl said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1087615) said:
Why don't we just get Latrell Mitchell? ;)

That would be my preference. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Think we already did, and he refused.

Out of interest have we completely given up on Latrell coming here? I guess it would have probably happened by now if he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back