Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers

@tiger_bond said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510457) said:
NRL transfer news: **Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers** to join North Queensland Cowboys

Wests Tigers have been rocked as one of the club’s best players has asked for an immediate release to join an NRL rival.
Phil Rothfield
and
Sports Editor-at-large
2 min read
November 24, 2021 - 6:17PM

The Wests Tigers have suffered another massive recruitment blow, losing outstanding second-rower Luciano Leilua to the North Queensland Cowboys.
The giant edge forward has also asked for a release from the final year of his contract in 2022 to join the Cowboys in the new year.

Shattered Wests Tigers officials are planning to issue a press release on Thursday morning.

The Cowboys have used the money they saved after missing out on barnstorming Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau to sign Leilua on a three-year deal.

The Daily Telegraph understands he will be paid $700,000 a season.

Whether Leilua is worth that much is debatable but the Cowboys officials were far more active to get the deal over the line.

It is known Leilua and his manager, Mario Tartak, have been disappointed with negotiations at the Wests Tigers for the last couple of months.

Little progress has been made since they began talks in August.

The signing of Isaah Papili'i from the Parramatta Eels last week on a three-year deal worth more than $600,000 a season was the catalyst for Leilua to look elsewhere.

He felt undervalued.

The Leilua camp insists coach Michael Maguire is not the problem despite the coach’s well publicised falling out with his brother Joey.

It has more to do with the fact Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has not once spoken to Tartak about the negotiations since August.

Wests Tigers director of football Tim Sheens claims he was unaware of the move until contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday evening.

“We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”

The signing is a huge boost for the Cowboys.

At his best Leilua isn’t a long way behind Kikau.

He was the Wests Tigers’ best forward and second only to Adam Doueihi as the club’s best player.

The Cowboys will officially announce his signing on Thursday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-transfer-news-luciano-leilua-quits-wests-tigers-to-join-north-queensland-cowboys/news-story/6a46aa5fd1005422d8114053e0ef02cf

The heading isn’t even accurate. Leilua hasn’t quit anything! He’s taken a deal elsewhere once his current one expires…

@tigerwould said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510501) said:
“ suffered another massive recruitment blow” Buzz didn’t mention what was the others. Not paying Josh Hodgson full freight or losing Mbye to Saints?

Here’s our other massive recruitment blows for 2022
2022 LOSSES
Michael Chee-Kam (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Joseph Leilua (Featherstone Rovers), Moses Mbye (St George Illawarra Dragons), Russell Packer (retired), Billy Walters (Brisbane Broncos)

DEADWOOD

@bigsiro said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510511) said:
Suspect defense but he was our x-factor forward.
It’s nothing less than a huge loss.

Suspect? By the end of last season he was as bad as Kev N ever got.

At the price the cows got him , no way would you compete for his signature and good luck to him on his pay day.

Don’t think he will be a great loss, but signings like these a year out need to stop . It’s no win situation for all parties involved including the fans .
Bring back June 30

this was coming given the Joey issues.
Don't release him stuff him other clubs don't release players like parra so hold him

Very talented ball player at his best, was one our best in 2020 regressed like most of them this year.
It's in him... Not disappointed a defensive leak will move on... But they ALL need to improve so it's a bit of a setback somewhat

hopefully they come out and say we won't release him (or we got a player - cash doesn't help us). Blore will take his spot. Seyfarth and tuilagi as back ups. Defensively we are better, attack, less so.

Not sure what will happen to Garner

I have a sneaking suspicion we were planning for when you look at the development players on the website - all second rowers

He was always leaving after Joey's clashes with Maguire.
So far we've only heard the Rothfield take on the situation.
I'd be surprised if the club hasn't already negotiated a deal, be it a swap or compensation. Sheens isn't a dummy.
We've always seemed on friendly terms with the Cowboys.

lol.. So let me get this right according to Buzzard there has not been much contact since August yet the catalyst for Leilua to sign elsewhere was the signing of Papali'i in November..

So Leilua was just sitting round till a week ago..mkay..

See no reason to release him for '22

Quality signing at the right price -Check
Not paying giving long contract or paying overs for player at the end of his career-Check

If wests can somehow make this work in their favour it will be a good sign imo.

Gotta love the emotive language throughout Rothfield's article..."Shattered West Tigers officials". I doubt that very much. After Joey's exit I reckon WT officials probably had this factored in.

It will be interesting to see how the request for an early release is handled. Like others here, I hope we either deny the request or get something worthwhile in return. My preference is to send him on his way and get someone worthwhile from the Cowboys.

I totally forgot we had Blore...

We could never afford both Papali'i and Luciano in the first place. We desperately need to upgrade Stefano, should be first priority.

With Papali'i, Stefano, Ofahengaue and Twal we have a decent few forwards. If Blore, Simpkins and Tuilagi kick on then we have a great pack.

We need to strengthen our halves and outside backs. Our priority for 2023 should be a gun halfback to pair with AD in the halves, a decent winger and some centres.

He didn't look interested in the team photo recently, he probably knew then what was happening. Let's concentrate of signing Stef!!

@milky said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510545) said:

We could never afford both Papali'i and Luciano in the first place. We desperately need to upgrade Stefano, should be first priority.

With Papali'i, Stefano, Ofahengaue and Twal we have a decent few forwards. If Blore, Simpkins and Tuilagi kick on then we have a great pack.

We need to strengthen our halves and outside backs. Our priority for 2023 should be a gun halfback to pair with AD in the halves, a decent winger and some centres.

Blore isn’t ready for that spot in 2022 though. We need an established first grader to replace Luc.

@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510548) said:

Blore isn’t ready for that spot in 2022 though. We need an established first grader to replace Luc.

I like Luc but he is NOT worth that coin.

We picked up the back rower of the year for less!

@the_third said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510535) said:
hopefully they come out and say we won't release him (or we got a player - cash doesn't help us). Blore will take his spot. Seyfarth and tuilagi as back ups. Defensively we are better, attack, less so.

Not sure what will happen to Garner

I have a sneaking suspicion we were planning for when you look at the development players on the website - all second rowers

Pascoe will sell NQL 100K hats for him

@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510504) said:
@swordy said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510498) said:
This is the best part.....

"At his best Leilua isn’t a long way behind Kikau"

Good one Rothfield. That's what you write when you know nothing about a player and your 8 schooners deep and on a story deadline.

Now someone call a Doctor, my sides are splitting. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Tbf, it isn’t far from the truth. Kikau is hilariously overrated.

I agree to that too, 100% good point. But LL on his best day is well short of Kikau even on his worst day. And, there is no consistency whatsoever. For some reason, being the best at WT does not mean your in the top 10 in the league but these guys think that is true.

@toowoomba_tiger said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510544) said:
Can we bring Packer back for 1 game when we play the Cowboys.

Might get him for the first half, if it’s not a cold day

@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510548) said:

I believe this is a building year and we’ll know all about Blore after this year

Latest posts

Back