Mental Health Discussion

No not exactly. How did you get to the sideline? What was the last thing you remembered?
It happened twice, first time I was on the wrong side of the ruck in a curtain raiser at Ballymore Aust v Wales and got trampled, next thing I know I had a blacket over my shoulders and looking out towards the field, cant remember how I got there and the second time which was worse when I was playing for Townsville and got kneed to the side of the head, woke up in hospital.
I had a blessed footy life though, they were my only significant injuries.
I played footy the week straight after those knocks. If you could count to 5 your playing.

It happened twice, first time I was on the wrong side of the ruck in a curtain raiser at Ballymore Aust v Wales and got trampled, next thing I know I had a blacket over my shoulders and looking out towards the field, cant remember how I got there and the second time which was worse when I was playing for Townsville and got kneed to the side of the head, woke up in hospital.
I had a blessed footy life though, they were my only significant injuries.
I played footy the week straight after those knocks. If you could count to 5 your playing.
A knee to the side of the head can be serious Cobar.
You must have developed good technique to have so few injuries. I once woke up in mid field quite a distance from our ball carrier, but I could never remember touching the ball in that play.

You must have developed good technique to have so few injuries. I once woke up in mid field quite a distance from our ball carrier, but I could never remember touching the ball in that play.
Ouch...I'm 195cm so a lot of the time opposition shirt grabbed and I developed a good fend, more an open hand punch to the chest 🤣
Yeh pretty blessed I guess with lack of footy injuries.
Knees full of arthritis now though.
My mental issues are actually caused from my accident where I had bad bruising on the brain and suffered memory loss. Depression and anxiety has also been diagnosed as a symptom of the brain injury.
I get very depressed sometimes that all I can say is I'm glad I have a beautiful lady and support group. Otherwise I would be dead by now...serious.

MENTAL-HEALTH.jpg

The Weststigers website has some information and resources relating to mental health.
It can be found in the Community Resource Hub/Wellbeing.

There's a very good video in the called
A conversation about Mental Health.

Wests Tigers Life Member and Coach Michael Maguire joined with Samantha Lane; Todd Liubinskas and Grant Blashki for a conversation about mental health. Five people from five different walks of life, speaking about their mental health experiences and the importance to keep raising awareness of it.

This is an old info post but mental health issues that players face are similar if not the same as we face in everyday life.
As we approach the end of year some face a number of stressors, financial, emotional and maybe having to deal with relocating their families and starting new jobs and schools.
This video (sorry you'll have to go to the Weststigers website) is a good one and may help some of us dealing with such problems.
If it helps just one, then that's a good thing.
Remember to reach out to someone you can trust if your feeling stressed or depressed.
My cauliflower ears are always open to anyone who wants to bounce something off me in confidence via a PM.
I'm sure there are other members too that would offer you this support here on the forum.
A councillor once told me that mental health needs planning 🤔
What she meant by this is you need to be prepared for the stressors that are going to come your way.
Being prepared involves a lot of things that I'd be glad to discuss with you but one of the big ones is don't pretend stress is not happening as it can build up, so you need to know how to deal with things before they become impregnable.

When I was a young fella, me and a team mate went into a tackle and clashed faces.
I woke up in the nurses room with a smashed nose and missing 2 teeth. He was next to me with a fractured jaw and cheekbone. To this day, neither of us remember the tackle, nor the game itself.
From all accounts, it was spectacular though...lol.

Members online

Back