Meyer: cambo has once last chance

@jirskyr said:
Night-time crowds are a difficult one.

It is definitely more difficult for fans to attend night games, for a host of reasons: unable to take young kids, having to care for kids, work finish time, tired from work, early starts next day, afternoon sports, going out with friends, cold weather, etc.

Many of us remember, in my youth anyway, all games kicking off on Sat or Sun arvo around 2:30pm. There was a delayed TV game on each of those days (including the horrendous 1 h highlights on Sunday), usually preceded by live radio coverage.

So if you couldn't make it to the game, and your team wasn't in the featured games,
you had to listen to the radio and catch the "around the grounds" score updates.

I don't know if crowds were superior in those days, but there was an ultimatum: if you wanted to see your team every week, you had to go. This was offset by the games being scheduled at a very reasonable time.

Simply you cannot have your Foxtel Money cake and eat it too.

@diedpretty said:
The only people who constantly whinge about poor crowds at Campbelltown are the inner city crowd. I'd like to know how many of the 16000 that braved the atrocious conditions at Leichhardt because they are the real supporters of the Tigers actually went to the Campbelltown game or for that matter have ever been to any game at Campbelltown.

Why do you assume that everybody who attends Leichhardt is from the 'inner-city' crowd?Did you conduct a census at the turnstile or something?

Reality is that the Balmain area is no longer populated by die-hard Tigers supporters, but by greeny basket weaving nimbies. Most of the traditional Tigers supporters live outside the area and travel a decent distance to get to the games at Leichhardt. There is not a single Tigers fan I know (and I know a lot) who actually lives in the Balmain/Rozelle/Leichhardt area.

The reason why those same people didn't all make the same trek to Campbelltown is an easy question to answer. Leichhardt and Campbelltown are vastly different grounds that cater to different tastes, markets, and sensibilities.

Why so many people see it necessary to compare the two like they are in competition with each other, I don't know?

We have not got a decent crown at Campbelltown since mid-2011, so the task for WT management is to make people WANT to attend Campbelltown Stadium. Nothing to do with Leichhardt Oval or the people that attended the Manly game.

@innsaneink said:
You missed that beautiful black jersey we wore against Souths and NQ Geno?

No mention of that.

Hmmm

Round and round and round we go

![](http://i.imgur.com/cOiSwFi.gif)

If we're going to go back to jerseys, and which side of the JV is being harshly done:

Lets say Balmain Tigers were 80% orange, 20% black
And Wests Magpies were 80% black, 20% white

To be fair, the Wests Tigers jersey should be 50% black, 40% orange and 10% white.

None of this 33% nonsense!!!

This post is in jest, of course…

@Cultured Bogan said:
@galahs said:
The Wanderers are riding a high at the moment. It will be interesting to see how many fans stick with them when they are not as successful.

Like all sports in Sydney when the Wanderers start faltering they'll struggle to fill Parra stadium. I'm a huge football (read: Sokkah,) fan but when Sydney FC average 18,680 & the Wanderers average 14,860, it's not a bad reflection if LO or CSS are averaging 13,000 in a saturated Sydney market.

The difference is that the Wanderers have 16,000 paid up members. We have 8000 and that is extremely poor.

Oh look. This is my 2040th post. Kind of appropriate to do it here. Please let this thread be resolved before I get to my 2560th!

Anyway, I honestly believe Campbelltown as a region has never embraced an NRL side, not Wests Tigers and not even Wests Magpies.

If you look back at crowds, since WM moved to Campbelltown in 1987, they only averaged crowds over 10K in ONE season (1991). The area is a great junior nurseey but for whatever reason has never attracted huge support. This MAY be because they were an Ashfield, then a Lidcombe based side, who knows.

So I think this is less about a few whinging fossils complaining about colours and the size of the Magpie logo, and more about the area itself.

@hybrid_tiger said:
Anyway, I honestly believe Campbelltown as a region has never embraced an NRL side, not Wests Tigers and not even Wests Magpies.

If you look back at crowds, since WM moved to Campbelltown in 1987, they only averaged crowds over 10K in ONE season (1991). The area is a great junior nurseey but for whatever reason has never attracted huge support. This MAY be because they were an Ashfield, then a Lidcombe based side, who knows.

So I think this is less about a few whinging fossils complaining about colours and the size of the Magpie logo, and more about the area itself.

Yet crowd figures up until about 04 were consistently higher at C-town then they were for Leichhardt. That would tell me they embraced the JV a lot more earlier on than the Inner City. Thats if we want to use that kind of logic.

@hybrid_tiger said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
@galahs said:
The Wanderers are riding a high at the moment. It will be interesting to see how many fans stick with them when they are not as successful.

Like all sports in Sydney when the Wanderers start faltering they'll struggle to fill Parra stadium. I'm a huge football (read: Sokkah,) fan but when Sydney FC average 18,680 & the Wanderers average 14,860, it's not a bad reflection if LO or CSS are averaging 13,000 in a saturated Sydney market.

The difference is that the Wanderers have 16,000 paid up members. We have 8000 and that is extremely poor.

The Wanderers are in a two team city and enjoy sustained success in their first two seasons. WT are competing with 8 other sides.

And I think it's over 9000 now, I'm sure I saw something about it the other day.

My last post in this thread. I want to finish my stance by saying my personal thoughts.

I accept that the Magpies are not in the NRL and more than likely never will be. I still support the WT in my own way. My going to games and buying merchandise has stopped (my wife will be thankful as I have about 6 WT jerseys and loads of other stuff)

I still want them to win the comp, I still watch the games on TV. Yes my support has waned, but I would never support anyone else. I hope I get the loving feeling back for WT soon. I feel the until the Wests in back in the Wests Tigers, I am nowhere near as keen as I was.

Interestingly enough, these doubts about WT started when Sheens was destroying the place, and it has grown from there.

Hope this thread dies off now. I don't think much more can be said that hasn't already been said.

I have never understood the thinking that Wests are neglected….granted Im not a previous fan, but Ive never got it, the only place I see it is here.
ONe of my good mates is a former Magpie, Ive chatted to him about it, and he doesnt see it, I call them the tigers, he calls them Wests, I talk about the days of Pearce, Jack, Sirro and Roach, him of Boyd, Donnelly and Tommy........

anyway, ive never got to into the Us and them mentality and happily embrace the fibro vs silvertail stuff, and love reading stories about the Lidcommbe oval days and watched with interest the 1983 video posted with the fight back into the comp, taking this on for me doesn't lessen the tigers own story and it should not in reverse either.

Anyway off topic, but something I dont get.

According to Mayer's twitter account, there are big plans for the upcoming home games at LO and CSS in rounds 8 and 11\. Lets hope its a move in the right direction in winning back the West and putting an end to this nonsense worth 24 pages.

@hybrid_tiger said:

Not even Newtown when they moved to what was then Orana Park in the early 80's.

@Goose said:
I have never understood the thinking that Wests are neglected….granted Im not a previous fan, but Ive never got it, the only place I see it is here.
ONe of my good mates is a former Magpie, Ive chatted to him about it, and he doesnt see it, I call them the tigers, he calls them Wests, I talk about the days of Pearce, Jack, Sirro and Roach, him of Boyd, Donnelly and Tommy........

anyway, ive never got to into the Us and them mentality and happily embrace the fibro vs silvertail stuff, and love reading stories about the Lidcommbe oval days and watched with interest the 1983 video posted with the fight back into the comp, taking this on for me doesn't lessen the tigers own story and it should not in reverse either.

Anyway off topic, but something I dont get.

How close were Balmain and Western Suburbs geographically. I would say it is less than 5 km from Leichhardt Oval to Pratten Park.

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

Yet crowd figures up until about 04 were consistently higher at C-town then they were for Leichhardt. That would tell me they embraced the JV a lot more earlier on than the Inner City. Thats if we want to use that kind of logic.

GNR not really and again your turning a post about the inability of the NSWRL, ARL and NRL to make the SW a success a LO/CS debate.

Hybrid is right. CS, despite being a wonderful ground to watch football, has never consistently got decent crowds, either before JV or since JV. Given Campbelltown potentially draws on a far larger section of the population, has decent facilities and is easy to access by transport, I would have expected significantly higher crowds than LO.

Identifying CS as having a historical a problem is not having a go at Magpies fans or even Campbelltown. It is the first step in finding a solution.

I suspect Mayer is right and the problem is that most SW residents moved there from other areas and already have a connected with a different team.

I love CS despite being a Balmain fan originally and cant understand, given the population, why it doesnt average 17,000 a week when the Tigers are winning.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

GNR not really and again your turning a post about the inability of the NSWRL, ARL and NRL to make the SW a success a LO/CS debate.

Hybrid is right. CS, despite being a wonderful ground to watch football, has never consistently got decent crowds, either before JV or since JV. Given Campbelltown potentially draws on a far larger section of the population, has decent facilities and is easy to access by transport, I would have expected significantly higher crowds than LO.

Identifying CS as having a historical a problem is not having a go at Magpies fans or even Campbelltown. It is the first step in finding a solution.

I suspect Mayer is right and the problem is that most SW residents moved there from other areas and already have a connected with a different team.

I love CS despite being a Balmain fan originally and cant understand, given the population, why it doesnt average 17,000 a week when the Tigers are winning.

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

@GNR4LIFE said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

Members online

Back