Pangai Junior

@teddy23 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417468) said:
@gcfan said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417461) said:
@teddy23 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417445) said:
I think joffa will play a huge part in us getting Pangai, may be getting in his ear as they’re pretty close mates.

Our forwards are in a better position, whereas at the dogs he’d be there only real threat in the pack which may discourage him a little

I like the look of the Pommy bloke and Hetherington. I don’t see that much upside in our pack to be honest but hopefully TPJ sees it your way.

Stefano, Twal, Luciano, Joffa, Blore, Mikaele, Musgrove and even Tuki (who’ll show his ability come Sunday)

We have the youth and talent, just need a marquee kinda styled forward to shape it up nicely especially one with the skillset Pangai possesses which seems to be abilities we struggle with and would be considered as our weaknesses (line speed, offload etc)

No disrespect brother, but out pack gets steamrolled almost every week. I don't know what makes that pack better than the Dogs who have RFM, Thompson, Jackson, Hetherington. If its better its not by much.

@wt46 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417440) said:
@yeshecheekam said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417410) said:
@jc99 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417377) said:
Brent Read is saying that TPJ is struggling to make his mind up about which club to join, Tigers or Bulldogs. They expected a decision yesterday but it hasn't come, could possibly happen today he reckons

Probably a case of Tigers offerring more money, but he sees more potential in Dogs.

The potential in Dogs that they get spoon every year. Lol.

JAC , Burton and Dufty are all pretty good signings. We haven't signed players of the first two quality in 17 years.

@yeshecheekam said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417571) said:
Brent Read is saying that TPJ is struggling to make his mind up about which club to join, Tigers or Bulldogs. They expected a decision yesterday but it hasn't come, could possibly happen today he reckons

Probably a case of Tigers offerring more money, but he sees more potential in Dogs.

JAC , Burton and Dufty are all pretty good signings. We haven't signed players of the first two quality in 17 years.

Sorry to say but I heard Chee Kam may go to the dogs??

@wt46 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417572) said:
@yeshecheekam said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417571) said:

Sorry to say but I heard Chee Kam may go to the dogs??

Let me grab the party poppers..

I hope I’m wrong but I’m hearing TPJ to the dogs that will be their 2nd signing within 2 weeks

@iwasright said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417578) said:
I hope I’m wrong but I’m hearing TPJ to the dogs that will be their 2nd signing within 2 weeks

He may do a back flip and remain at the Broncos

Your mail is usually pretty spot on so I can't say I'm not super disappointed. Just wanted to say to everyone to keep an eye on your mental health, I know it sucks and hurts not being able to get anyone on board but it will get better.

Dogs were always short priced favourites. Their short term prospects are way in front of us and with Gould on board their mid to long term prospects look better

@supercoach said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417593) said:

Dogs were always short priced favourites. Their short term prospects are way in front of us and with Gould on board their mid to long term prospects look better

They will want to hope all these signings work out for them because if they don’t they will have no room to move for years again.

Still carrying Flanagan, Cotric, Allan, Hetherington on decent coin from last years panic buys.

@rihannafan1 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417556) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417511) said:
@rustycage said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417480) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417429) said:
@rihannafan1 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417424) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417393) said:
@hsvjones said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417387) said:

Yes I have my fingers crossed as it would be massive for us. I just think with Gus joining it will tip there way :disappointed:

Gus joining the Bulldogs is good for them but we have Sheens back who is also a drawcard for us.
The fact this is getting drawn out sucks but at least we are for once a serious option. We have a heap of cap space this year, if we don’t use it - it’s lost. Pay him what he wants up this season (keep in mind he has been paid a chunk for the year already) and let’s get it done.

Is Sheens really a drawcard? He didn't exactly attract a ton of elite players when he was here last time, no matter how many players rated him as a coach.

I don’t know about that. Prince, Hodgo, Payten, Richards, Benji, Fatts, Ellis etc not a bad list. Sheens didn’t do a bad job recruitment wise he focused more on youth/juniors.

None of those were elite players prior to coming over to WT.

Hodgo was.
Fatts was a kiwi international and premiership center who had clubs after him
Benji was the hottest kid on the block by a mile which we beat everyone for his services
Ellis was one of the premier English forwards at the time.

Sure we had others as well was a long time back.

He also did something no one else had done, keep most of our juniors.

Sheens is like Bennett in that regard. Gus is different and don’t get me wrong he is brilliant at what he does but to underbake Sheens isn’t right.

Sheens did well, he had a legendary career as a coach and did well with the club given our predicament. But he's been out of Australia for close to 10 years and now apparently hes a better signing than Gould. Alright.

Never commented that Sheens was better than Gus.

People in this place get the sulks so easily & to dismiss the move of getting Sheens & have the world cave in because the Bulldogs have Gus is ridiculous.

Everyone knows Gus, you either love or hate him as a media spotlight but when it comes to footy he is one of if not the best at doing what he does.

But we need to put things into context.

Gus has joined the bulldogs to re do the junior pathways not for recruitment, it’s the same role he has been doing at the Warriors. It will be full on for him and take years to see the benefits. Gus also has his high demand media and other commitments. People make out he will bring all these stars to the Bulldogs but that isn’t his role, he won’t be looking after the roster and going out daily recruiting players.

Sheens will have more of a role to play with us than Gus will at the Bulldogs, without the distractions & already has a highly renowned team in Hartigan & Co who know the pathways and created a big chunk of what has driven success to the Roosters. The foundations of which started 18mths ago & with a war chest that is getting bigger to spend on the right type of players.

What I was pointing out is Sheens last time with us did do exactly that he created junior pathways, mixed them with a handful of recruits with us and produced our best ever results as a club. Our juniors wanted to play for us at that point and with our catchment area this is vital especially with Gus moving to the Bulldogs.

@weststigerman said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417595) said:

They will want to hope all these signings work out for them because if they don’t they will have no room to move for years again.

Still carrying Flanagan, Cotric, Allan, Hetherington on decent coin from last years panic buys.

Not something we’ll need to worry about. with the exception of a couple of ESL players we’ve signed sweet bugger all.

I’m still very hopeful we get Pangai. Will be very disappointing if miss out

@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417598) said:

Not something we’ll need to worry about. with the exception of a couple of ESL players we’ve signed sweet bugger all.

I’m still **very hopeful we get Pangai**. Will be very disappointing if miss out

I agree, but it is a long way to go till next season, I guess we have to trust the Recruitment team to have their plans in place, we have the cash, so hopefully it will all work out?

@tigerwest said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417600) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417598) said:

I’m still **very hopeful we get Pangai**. Will be very disappointing if miss out

I agree, but it is a long way to go till next season, I guess we have to trust the Recruitment team to have their plans in place, we have the cash, so hopefully it will all work out?

I’d like us to be a little more proactive. This season has been a complete disaster and as the squad stands now, it won’t be any better next season.

There’s not much quality off contract and available for next season so if our plan is to wait until some players are pushed out we’re in trouble.

@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417596) said:
@rihannafan1 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417556) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417511) said:
@rustycage said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417480) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417429) said:
@rihannafan1 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417424) said:
@mighty_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417393) said:
@hsvjones said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417387) said:

Yes I have my fingers crossed as it would be massive for us. I just think with Gus joining it will tip there way :disappointed:

Gus joining the Bulldogs is good for them but we have Sheens back who is also a drawcard for us.
The fact this is getting drawn out sucks but at least we are for once a serious option. We have a heap of cap space this year, if we don’t use it - it’s lost. Pay him what he wants up this season (keep in mind he has been paid a chunk for the year already) and let’s get it done.

Is Sheens really a drawcard? He didn't exactly attract a ton of elite players when he was here last time, no matter how many players rated him as a coach.

I don’t know about that. Prince, Hodgo, Payten, Richards, Benji, Fatts, Ellis etc not a bad list. Sheens didn’t do a bad job recruitment wise he focused more on youth/juniors.

None of those were elite players prior to coming over to WT.

Hodgo was.
Fatts was a kiwi international and premiership center who had clubs after him
Benji was the hottest kid on the block by a mile which we beat everyone for his services
Ellis was one of the premier English forwards at the time.

Sure we had others as well was a long time back.

He also did something no one else had done, keep most of our juniors.

Sheens is like Bennett in that regard. Gus is different and don’t get me wrong he is brilliant at what he does but to underbake Sheens isn’t right.

Sheens did well, he had a legendary career as a coach and did well with the club given our predicament. But he's been out of Australia for close to 10 years and now apparently hes a better signing than Gould. Alright.

Never commented that Sheens was better than Gus.

People in this place get the sulks so easily & to dismiss the move of getting Sheens & have the world cave in because the Bulldogs have Gus is ridiculous.

Everyone knows Gus, you either love or hate him as a media spotlight but when it comes to footy he is one of if not the best at doing what he does.

But we need to put things into context.

Gus has joined the bulldogs to re do the junior pathways not for recruitment, it’s the same role he has been doing at the Warriors. It will be full on for him and take years to see the benefits. Gus also has his high demand media and other commitments. People make out he will bring all these stars to the Bulldogs but that isn’t his role, he won’t be looking after the roster and going out daily recruiting players.

Sheens will have more of a role to play with us than Gus will at the Bulldogs, without the distractions & already has a highly renowned team in Hartigan & Co who know the pathways and created a big chunk of what has driven success to the Roosters. The foundations of which started 18mths ago & with a war chest that is getting bigger to spend on the right type of players.

What I was pointing out is Sheens last time with us did do exactly that he created junior pathways, mixed them with a handful of recruits with us and produced our best ever results as a club. Our juniors wanted to play for us at that point and with our catchment area this is vital especially with Gus moving to the Bulldogs.

Gus is a flog of the highest order. He tried to buy a comp with the Roosters for five years and couldn't. Graham Murray then took the same team to the GF in his first year and Gus sacked him for making him look foolish.
And don't use Penrith as an example of his genius, he had nothing to do with the birth of Cleary, To'o, Luai and all those other juniors who just happened to be born in his catchment. Sacks Cleary, re-hires him....he's an idiot.

@iwasright said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417047) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417007) said:
@iwasright said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1416997) said:
@cochise said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1416964) said:
@yossarian said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1416963) said:
@cochise said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1416955) said:
@iwasright said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1416952) said:
Like I tweeted a month and a half ago https://twitter.com/nrlinside/status/1416015368808648704?s=21

The approach that he turned down?

The Gould-Dogs thing was being talked about in the press early June or maybe even before…

That was my point.

Phil Gould come out and denied it and said he wasn’t going anywhere but I knew for a fact he was still in talks with them

Are you Phil Gould?

Maybe

You must be because Phil Gould is alwaysright.

You wonder how missing out on players you target effects the current playing squad especially when the money is the same and both teams are struggling . It reflects on them too - not just the club/coach.

@telltails said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417605) said:
You wonder how missing out on players you target effects the current playing squad especially when the money is the same and both teams are struggling . It reflects on them too - not just the club/coach.

It’s disheartening to the fans, the players and the club. Hopefully we sign him because it will be Something we can build on. If we miss out it will be a big kick in the guts.

@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417606) said:

It’s disheartening to the fans, the players and the club. Hopefully we sign him because it will be Something we can build on. If we miss out it will be a big kick in the guts.

Yeh - not confident. Become very battle weary with signings these days and I think if there was a tipping point with this one Gould put the nail in the coffin.

@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1417606) said:

Yeah it is. I said this week, we are going to have to pay overs to bring TPJ, as if all things are level, the general media perceptions on the Dogs at the moment are far more better than us. They have brought in Thompson, Addo Carr, Burton who are all superstars in the last year, plus good signings like Dufty and Cotric. Not to mention the highly regarded Gould. We haven't made any "big" signings.

We are going to have to pay someone big to get them in, then hopefully signings become easier.

Back