Pat Richards Leaving ?

When David Simmons can score 4 tries against us down Pat's wing (and yes, I know, Lovett being burned for speed every time Ware got the ball resulting in our left side being horribly exposed), then it's a sure sign that the time has come. Patty was a great winger during the first decade of the 2000's and solid over the past year or two, but man, you can't compete at his age at the elite level.
A tremendous competitor at his best and I think it's a real shame the Weststigers didn't have his services for the bulk of his career. He'll always be remembered for 'that' try and is a true Tiger legend.
But I wouldn't be offering him any sort of contract for next year - I guy like him shouldn't be ending his career in reggies.

So many on here were calling for him to be re-signed after his Parramatta heroics.

But yeah his time has come unfortunately. I have no doubt had he continued his Career in Australia from 2005 onwards he would of played for the Blues and maybe for Australia.
It's a shame how he will finish his Career with us, I will always remember his 2005 Season.

Haha we can't even fit a 33 y/o winger under our cap.

At this rate our future marquee signing will be from the Roosters Under 12s.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@GNR4LIFE said:
He's been a great servant in the minimal amount of time he's spent at the club, but if we're mourning the loss of a 34 yr old winger, it speaks volumes about where this club is at.

Or where this forum is at. Everyone having a go at TAYLOR on the weekend for not putting Chris Lawrence out in the centres instead of Lovett when Simona went off must remember that Chris would have been eaten up much the same way as Kyle was as he has lost all his pace.

Maybe not as much as Kyle but it was pretty much game over when Simona went off as the panthers knew they had an easy time scoring tries down our left edge. At least with Chris staying in the second row he stayed in a position he is also learning and with another off season will become our Anthony Watmough(MANLY 2008).

Also good to see a centre in Milone named to replace Tim Sim and not either Kyle or Rowdy which we have seen from Potter and Sheens. Back on topic however and while Pat has been good for us for 2016 and beyond we need that money invested elsewhere.

Been a massive fan of Patty's and was content with him in the side even with that lack of speed. Earlier this season I thought he might still have another year in him, but I now concede he is not up to standard at his age.

The big thing for me is yes, his lack of speed - He wont run the length if in open space and he can't mow down the opposition if they get through.

But becoming more and more evident is he cant find his way over the try line unless there is nobody in front of him. There were two standout incidents against Penrith where he just needed to duck his head down and use his size to bussle his way between two defenders and over the line, but instead he stepped back inside and back inside again straight into the sliding defence looking for a big opening.

Ive seen this a few times this year and where most other wingers would have found a way through he has stepped back infield and botched some decent scoring opportunities.

Will always be one of my favourites and I have no doubt we missed the best of him while he was in the UK. Would have definitely been one of the first picked for NSW and would have played a lot of tests for Australia. Wish him luck in the future, but hope he might be used by the club down the track to assit the young guys with their kicking games.

@The Tooth said:
Been a massive fan of Patty's and was content with him in the side even with that lack of speed. Earlier this season I thought he might still have another year in him, but I now concede he is not up to standard at his age.

The big thing for me is yes, his lack of speed - He wont run the length if in open space and he can't mow down the opposition if they get through.

But becoming more and more evident is he cant find his way over the try line unless there is nobody in front of him. There were two standout incidents against Penrith where he just needed to duck his head down and use his size to bussle his way between two defenders and over the line, but instead he stepped back inside and back inside again straight into the sliding defence looking for a big opening.

Ive seen this a few times this year and where most other wingers would have found a way through he has stepped back infield and botched some decent scoring opportunities.

Will always be one of my favourites and I have no doubt we missed the best of him while he was in the UK. Would have definitely been one of the first picked for NSW and would have played a lot of tests for Australia. Wish him luck in the future, but hope he might be used by the club down the track to assit the young guys with their kicking games.

Its becoming painful to watch, Like you can never bag him, but other than his kicking game….

Love Patty but don't think they can sign him for next year, Put the Money to good use.

@The Tooth said:

Exactly right. I thought he could have done a lot more with a few of his touches last week.

The modern winger has to be able to dive to finish, and I don't mean slide over the line and plonk the ball next to his thigh. So many tries are scored with body in air, so many wingers finish without their body yet crossing the line. They need to be able to go low so the cover doesn't get a good shot, or plant with one hand if they get pushed across touch.

Patty just can't do this anymore, and realistically he never really did much diving for the corner. He just relied on his size, but the slower he gets, the size becomes nullified if they can get multiple defenders taking a clean shot.

Any expectations of Patty chasing down a grubber in the corner these days?

His kicking is still super important to us, and quite frankly I am not sure about our goal kicking options behind him (Moses has taken shots, but not particularly well).

If Richards and Moltzen leave this year and the club is already $500k under the CAP, as reported in another thread, I cannot see a good reason why the Club cannot buy two or three reasonable players to play for Wests Tigers in 2016.

With what TT said in the WT v Parra thread about further savings at the end of 2015, I took this to mean a player(s) under contract for 2016 will be leaving in addition to those whose contracts end in 2016.

@The Tooth said:

He was once a great player. His overall playing ability as a winger is fantastic. He has though lost a lot of pace and that is what wingers need.

I can't believe that they signed him at this stage of his career. It was a terrible decision and whoever made that decision should get hammered.

@The Tooth said:

Age catches up with all of us eventually. A great player and a humble wonderful man. Wishing you all the best in your life travels Pat. Enjoy , la belle France. :slight_smile:

@alexaki said:
Why o why did we get rid of Koro?

Just a terrible decision. He would have loved to have stayed.

Imagine scoring tries all the time in NSW cup and being a recognised weapon with an old slow winger in front of you for an NRL berth.

It goes to show that you should pick players on form and buy players where you need them not just because a player is on the market.

@GNR4LIFE said:
@alexaki said:
Why o why did we get rid of Koro?

Because he did not want to be here.

Only because he was told he is not NRL standard….. He's put egg on our face... Hadn't he.... We are so dumb with our retention.... Watch Tapau go next

I suspect Potter may have been behind Koro's exit.

Koro responded to being dropped (deservedly imo) by absolutely carving up in state cup. 7 tries in two weeks from memory and couldn't earn a return to 1st grade under Potter.

Can't blame Koro requesting a release when Belamy rang and said he can help.

Yeah,,,I don't know why Woods Farah Tedesco Simona Sue Nofoaluma stayed,,,,wasn't Korobeite gone whilst Taylor was assistant at the Rorters and Moss still at the Pamfers…?

@yeti said:
**When David Simmons can score 4 tries against us down Pat's wing (and yes, I know, Lovett being burned for speed every time Ware got the ball resulting in our left side being horribly exposed), then it's a sure sign that the time has come.** Patty was a great winger during the first decade of the 2000's and solid over the past year or two, but man, you can't compete at his age at the elite level.
A tremendous competitor at his best and I think it's a real shame the Weststigers didn't have his services for the bulk of his career. He'll always be remembered for 'that' try and is a true Tiger legend.
But I wouldn't be offering him any sort of contract for next year - I guy like him shouldn't be ending his career in reggies.

I agree with Taylor that Lovett or Lawrence, the same thing probably would have happened re Whare getting outside his man. But I also think this put Pat between a rock and a hard place. Should there not have been more defensive support pushing out from Lovett's inside defender to allow him to be on the OUTSIDE of Whare, therefore not putting it all on an aging winger's shoulders?

And if that is the case, can no one in this team get the defence working properly??

I don't know, I am not as experienced in these matters as some on here but I think it is a bit tough putting it all on Pat - or Lovett for that matter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back